PDA

View Full Version : Amusing incident with flatiron salespersons

Alvrodul
December 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
As a counterweight to all the scary stories about pushy flatiron salespersons, I thought I should tell about an amusing incident that occurred a few days ago.
Now, I'm definitely not in the market for the items they were pushing, but on that day - which must have been a slow day for the salespersons, and I, too had a rather leisurely time of it - when the above mentioned salespersons generously distributed sachets of hair serum at a shopping center downtown, I actually stopped and started reading the ingredients list. (said sachet was about the size of a stamp. (Okay, a really big stamp) I have Classic length hair. I would need about a dozen of those little sachets!! http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/th_tongue.gif)
As the salesperson started her sharklike circling at what she must have assumed was an easy mark, all the time yammering about Aloe Vera and how a wonderful cure-all it is, I noticed that (unsurprisingly) the first ingredient on the list was a cone, and rather sniffily told her that the main ingredient here was a silicone compound, and dropped one or two facts about cones. (No, I wasn't badmouthing cones, even though I prefer to avoid them. :gabigrin:)
She was floored. She and her colleague brought over a couple of the other products they had, and I had a look at their ingredients lists too. I discussed a few of said ingredients. The salescritters looked as if I were up for the next Nobel Prize in Chemistry. :graduate: (As if! It's just hanging around long hair sites)
She again invited me to have my hair flat-ironed, but I declined her kind invitation. to have my hair fried. Besides, my hair was safe enough in its braided bun, and if I were silly enough to say yes, I would have to take my hair down, and then put it up again after getting it fried. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/shades.gif
As it is, I had rather a lot of fun seeing their reactions when an average customer (well, maybe not that average) knows more about their products than they do. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/RE.gif

Maelyssa
December 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Lol you are awesome! I love it!

Alexblue
December 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Brilliant!

akuamoonmaui
December 22nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
I love it!! I usually just physically avoid them like they have the plague with a look on my face like they are insane to even suggest I would want such a treatment. I love how you handled them!

Haha!! Shark-like circling and salescritters! Too good!!

OrchidRain
December 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
That's hilarious! I generally make it a point to walk on the far side of the flat iron/ ceramic curling iron booths in the mall. If they catch sight of my past waist hair they usually will try to start calling across the way to me. Without slowing down, I smile and shake my head "No". I've been cone free for nearly a year now, but I still can't recognize the gazillion names for different sulfates or their cousins, so this was pretty awesome and made me laugh. :grin:

Micayla47
December 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
hee hee. good for you. you educated them and got away with your beautiful hair intact! when they try to approach me, i just pull down a piece of my hair and say "really"? i have super straight baby fine hair.

xltorresx
December 22nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
As a counterweight to all the scary stories about pushy flatiron salespersons, I thought I should tell about an amusing incident that occurred a few days ago.
Now, I'm definitely not in the market for the items they were pushing, but on that day - which must have been a slow day for the salespersons, and I, too had a rather leisurely time of it - when the above mentioned salespersons generously distributed sachets of hair serum at a shopping center downtown, I actually stopped and started reading the ingredients list. (said sachet was about the size of a stamp. (Okay, a really big stamp) I have Classic length hair. I would need about a dozen of those little sachets!! http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/th_tongue.gif)
As the salesperson started her sharklike circling at what she must have assumed was an easy mark, all the time yammering about Aloe Vera and how a wonderful cure-all it is, I noticed that (unsurprisingly) the first ingredient on the list was a cone, and rather sniffily told her that the main ingredient here was a silicone compound, and dropped one or two facts about cones. (No, I wasn't badmouthing cones, even though I prefer to avoid them. :gabigrin:)
She was floored. She and her colleague brought over a couple of the other products they had, and I had a look at their ingredients lists too. I discussed a few of said ingredients. The salescritters looked as if I were up for the next Nobel Prize in Chemistry. :graduate: (As if! It's just hanging around long hair sites)
She again invited me to have my hair flat-ironed, but I declined her kind invitation. to have my hair fried. Besides, my hair was safe enough in its braided bun, and if I were silly enough to say yes, I would have to take my hair down, and then put it up again after getting it fried. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/shades.gif
As it is, I had rather a lot of fun seeing their reactions when an average customer (well, maybe not that average) knows more about their products than they do. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/RE.gif

Hahaha, I have no time for sales people. Annoying people for a living must really suck.

spirals
December 23rd, 2012, 01:03 AM
I'm an easy target due to my 3a curls. Really, why would I want to destroy them?

Natalia
December 23rd, 2012, 02:05 AM
Hahaha cute i get that reaction at the market alot. Because of my allergies im always reading labels and occasionally i'll get asked a question and its about 50/50 that they are elated or wish they never asked the windbag (me :D lol). Some random person in trader joes knows more about kiwi than they ever wanted to know :p.

MORE
December 23rd, 2012, 02:14 AM
Besides, my hair was safe enough in its braided bun, and if I were silly enough to say yes, I would have to take my hair down, and then put it up again after getting it fried.

Haha I love this!

That's really awesome, nicely acted!:bottomsup:

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
That's a good one. I get the ones trying to sell the three barrel wave irons. I will have to remember that the next time I get bugged.

sakuraemily
December 23rd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Their reaction was hilarious!!

spidermom
December 23rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
I've never been approached by a sales person like that. I'm glad you could educate someone.

akilina
December 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
LOL! Its never a dull moment with those sales people.
I feel so bad to be rude to them...they are usually foreign and don't understand that I don't want to be verbally raped. Sometimes I get fed up and just say "no thanks" as I am walking.
One time with my mom, the guy even went as far as to tell her she did not know how to do math and whipped out a calculator!! She gave him an ear load! :D

And about the serum..I have done the same exact thing!!! My friend and I walked by, got ambushed, and she was all interested. I just rolled my eyes and the gal tried to convince me and I picked it up and pointed out that it was just packed full of chemicals. I also proceeded to ask her how on earth a load of chemicals are supposed to make your hair healthy??! She didnt even know what to say :P Floored.

Tota
December 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
:D Very amusing indeed! I usually just walk the other way when I see them or just say that I'm in a hurry. They make me uncomfortable because I know they have no idea about the stuff they're selling.

IndigoOptimist
December 23rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Haha, I love it! I'd like to be able to talk to people about the ingredients of products with some level of confidence. Although, some woman asked if she could straighten my hair the other day when I was Christmas shopping. I unpinned my hair and showed her how little of it there really was (I have thin and very fine hair) and asked why I would need to make it any more limp than it already is... I also asked her how much damage she thought that amount of heat would do to my fine hair. She looked confused so I walked away ;)

Arden
December 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
I have a flat iron antidote myself. My hair is slightly wavy but it's super fine and can be easily made relatively straight with practically no effort. While at the mall one day this girl conned me into trying it out. I'd never flat ironed my hair before but a friend of mine raves about them all the time. So the sales girl flat irons half my head. This annoys me because I'm anal and I know she only did it lIke that hoping I'd buy the stupid thing to "fix" my hair. Of course I didn't buy it but it miffed me a touch. About 30 mins later I run into the very friend I mentioned who LOVES her flat iron. I told her about the girl at the kiosk flat ironing my hair and before I can Finnish the story she reaches up running her fingers threw one side of my hair and goes, "oh I can tell it looks so nice"

Ready for the punch line? It was the side she DIDN'T flat iron! LOL

piffyanne
December 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
I have a flat iron antidote myself. My hair is slightly wavy but it's super fine and can be easily made relatively straight with practically no effort. While at the mall one day this girl conned me into trying it out. I'd never flat ironed my hair before but a friend of mine raves about them all the time. So the sales girl flat irons half my head. This annoys me because I'm anal and I know she only did it lIke that hoping I'd buy the stupid thing to "fix" my hair. Of course I didn't buy it but it miffed me a touch. About 30 mins later I run into the very friend I mentioned who LOVES her flat iron. I told her about the girl at the kiosk flat ironing my hair and before I can Finnish the story she reaches up running her fingers threw one side of my hair and goes, "oh I can tell it looks so nice"

Ready for the punch line? It was the side she DIDN'T flat iron! LOL

Did you go back to the booth and tattle? :silly:

Arden
December 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Did you go back to the booth and tattle? :silly:

LOL ....no but I should have :-)

Seeshami
December 23rd, 2012, 10:30 PM
I love when the sales people point at my hair, or nails or what ever and assume it took me forever to do them and I just stare at them blank faced and tell them exactly how long it took, much to their surprise with practice, the right tools and hard earned skill most things can be done in 10 minutes or less.

Milui Elenath
December 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hilarious and I love that it's not just me that gets this reaction.

SNIP The salescritters looked as if I were up for the next Nobel Prize in Chemistry. :graduate: (As if! It's just hanging around long hair sites)SNIP

I've had it not just from hair but other things too and it always makes me feel a bit strange :)

Hahaha cute i get that reaction at the market alot. Because of my allergies im always reading labels and occasionally i'll get asked a question and its about 50/50 that they are elated or wish they never asked the windbag (me :D lol). Some random person in trader joes knows more about kiwi than they ever wanted to know :p.

And this too. :grnbiggri Unfortunately door to door salesmen/women will ask me why I don't want to buy/donate and if they ask I am obliged to tell them, aren't I?