PDA

View Full Version : Is this really the kind of ad we should have on this site?!?

PF Graham
December 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
I just saw this ad on the bottom of a thread - seems inappropriate to me.

What do you guys think?

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad65/PF_Graham/strangead_zpsb9cf537b.jpg

rtree721
December 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
I always see this ad and I'm like... wrong market!

ArienEllariel
December 22nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah.. I really hate those. I also get adds for beard related stuff and random Anime stuff.

Kiwiwi
December 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
Some people could be interested in that, even here. Although yeah, unlikely.

But it's google ads. There is no way to be that specific with ruling things out. You can say you don't want certain categories to be shown on your site (like gambling ads, sexual ads, etc). But nothin specific like hair extentions...

We'll just have to not pay attention to it, I guess.

Chromis
December 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
You do know there are members here who use fun coloured hair extensions, right? I've even seen them on the sale board. Much less damaging than dying if you want some temporary streaks. I've never tried them, but I fear I am much too uncoordinated :lol:

Sillage
December 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
I'm telling you guys, Ad Block Plus is where it's at! I see zero ads :rolling:

Catladyintown
December 22nd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Thank you Sillage for the tip. It works great just download it to my browser.;)

Hwyfar
December 22nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Just my two cents to the ad block thing: the ads are (probably?) the way this site and many many others are funded, and blocking them means no funding. I used to have ad-block on, untill I saw somewhere a small comment about this. Tolerating the ads is a small thing to do. Of course if you find the ads really annoying then that is the way to go, my boyfriend uses ad-block and that's completely fine. To each their own and so on :)

jacqueline101
December 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
I agree some people like the hair color extensions and fun things like bling strands.

Kiwiwi
December 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
True, Hwyfar.

If you support/like someone/a website and you know ads help them out running their website or even making a bit of a living off of doing what they love (providing great, helpful, entertaining content) then I don't mind ads (and actually click on them sometimes just to give them a tiny bit of money, even if I'm not interested in the ad).

Each to their own of course!! You can do what you want! But just something to consider :)

MonaMayfair
December 22nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Lots of people use clip-in hair extensions even in the LHC! Colored ones for fun, and a lot of people use them for added thickness. I love them personally and would use them myself if I didn't have such a sensitive scalp (and could get long enough ones, which I believe is quite difficult with waist length hair)

nellreno
December 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Google ads go off of what sites you visit and what terms you search for. If you go on a hair-related site you get ads that are hair-related topics.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
I use No Script for Firefox => no ads, therefore nothing to fuss about.

PF Graham
December 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
I use Chrome so there's not a great ad-blocker (remember, Google owns Chrome).

Regarding comments about the need to support the site - is this a for profit site?

I was under the impression it was a 'community' run site, sorta making it's way on donations and the occasional banner ad.

Thanks All for chiming in - I was glad to hear so many of you were thinking the same thing as I was.

akilina
December 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
True, Hwyfar.

If you support/like someone/a website and you know ads help them out running their website or even making a bit of a living off of doing what they love (providing great, helpful, entertaining content) then I don't mind ads (and actually click on them sometimes just to give them a tiny bit of money, even if I'm not interested in the ad).

Each to their own of course!! You can do what you want! But just something to consider :)

I click on adds too if they are interesting :) I would get ad blocker but It does help out this site from what I understand.
The ad though, that was like a girl with super white blond hair with burgundy underneath was making me jealous! I envy super white blond hair and wish I could have it again.

battles
December 22nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I would be fine with letting ads roam free on my screen, except for the fact a good number of them are annoyingly flashy. :(

PrincessIdril
December 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
To all those that are concerned about supporting the site, it is very easy to have Adblock disabled on certain sites. So you can stop annoying ads on youtube but still see the ads here if you want.

EdG
December 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
I turn on Javascript only when I post.

Google showed me an ad for curly hair. Google hasn't yet perfected image recognition. ;)
Ed

2peasinapod
December 22nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
I use colored hair extensions sometimes. They're fun!

I used to feel the same way about ads for curlers, straighteners, chemical treatments, etc. I know this site is very big on all natural hair care (that's one of the reasons I like it so much :)), but there are some members who don't do everything the "LHC way". If the ads don't get any clicks, they'll pull them eventually.

PF Graham
December 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
I turn on Javascript only when I post.

Google showed me an ad for curly hair. Google hasn't yet perfected image recognition. ;)
Ed

Smart! I'll try that Ed.

Elanadi
December 29th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Ad Blocker Plus is now available for Chrome, I just downloaded it. :) I get that sites like this require money to run (hosting costs, server maintenance, software upgrade costs, etc) but I'd rather just pay $10 a year directly to LHC on a donation basis than to be faced with constant ads.