PDA

View Full Version : Labella placenta condish, anyone use this??

lora410
March 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
My dbf bless his soul and thinking of my ever hair quest picked me up some Labella placenta condish and I was wondering if anyones ever used this and is it cone free? my hair cant deal with cones. If you do how do you like it?

Kirin
March 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I posted a review in the reviews section, I have used the shampoo and conditioner, and found myself after a day or so, having total protein overload. However, it may work for you, and it is cone free (to my knowledge).

I found the fragrance though REALLY strong.

Sorus
March 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM
It is cone free. I'm not sure if it does anything special for my hair because the few times I used it for CO the smell really got to me. It's fine in the bottle but after a CO I had to resort to my super-perfumy spritz made with BPAL scents that I keep for covering up henna smell just to be able to tolerate my hair.

I definitely didn't do anything bad to my hair (aside from the smell!) so I've been trying to think up ways to finish the bottle without gagging.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hmm, my opinion may be unpopular, but if this is made from real placenta, I would stay clear. Hormones in products with those type of ingredients, have been linked to cancer, particularly of the breast, and have also caused early development in girl children. :-(

lora410
March 18th, 2008, 07:44 AM
hrmmm how odd. This stuff smells like roses to me :lol:

Sorus
March 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Lora410, I totally agree about the roses smell. I was pretty excited about the smell until I had to put up with it all day. I think in small doses it would continue to smell like roses.

Hmmmm, maybe I can add a couple of squirts to SMT and dye/condish mixes until it's gone. Protein does help dye stick better on my bleached ends.

SHADOWSCODE46, I have heard of endocrine mimics in pesticides, but never in cosmetic products. Scary! Do you have any sources with more info? With this particular conditioner "placenta enzymes" is the specific thing listed on the ingredient list. Hormones are cholesterol derivatives, so if they purified for only proteins (enzymes are a type of protein) then there shouldn't be any hormones or even hormone-like compounds. On the other hand, there are many examples of companies not being completely honest with the labeling. Let us know if you can find any information about known cases of hormones in hair products that can affect humans.

Bucatini
March 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I had never heard of this, so I looked it up and found the ingredients listed as this:

Acrylates Copolymer , Benzoyl Peroxide - Completely Evaporates After Drying , Silica , Ethyl Methacrylate , HEMA , Glycol Dimethacrylate , Dimethyltolylamine , Benzophenone-3 , P-Hydroxyanisole , CI 60725 , CI 61565

BENZOYL PEROXIDE??? Hope you're blonde... if not, you might be when this stuff gets done with you.

archel
March 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
http://environmentaloncology.org/careproducts

Among other estrogenic compounds in our daily lives, parabens are at the top of the list and have actually been found in breast cancer tumors. (methylparaben, propylparaben, etc...which is in just about everything we put on our bodies these days).

http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/breastcancer090604.cfm

Placenta is a super scary one because it's like giving yourself a transdermal dose of estrogen every time you use it!

SHADOWSCODE46
March 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
http://environmentaloncology.org/careproducts

Among other estrogenic compounds in our daily lives, parabens are at the top of the list and have actually been found in breast cancer tumors. (methylparaben, propylparaben, etc...which is in just about everything we put on our bodies these days).

http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/breastcancer090604.cfm

Placenta is a super scary one because it's like giving yourself a transdermal dose of estrogen every time you use it!

Thank you for doing the research for me. Yes placenta is worst one to use.

As for the parabens, ARGH! I know they are bad, but avoiding them is like avoiding dust particles in the air I breathe. It's inevitable. One day, one day..... :(

archel
March 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm at very high risk so I'm trying to be paraben free and it is HARD. I am buying all my personal care products at the health food store and I STILL have to read every label because even they carry products claiming to be natural that have parabens. And I have switched to all mineral makeup (B.E., Larenim, Alima, etc) and not only is it totally healthy, it also looks better!

It's expensive to be this paranoid...but in the US, you have to be. In the European Union, they have banned 10,000 chemicals from use in cosmetics and personal care items. Guess how many the US has banned? TEN. I sh*t you not...

SHADOWSCODE46
March 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm at very high risk so I'm trying to be paraben free and it is HARD. I am buying all my personal care products at the health food store and I STILL have to read every label because even they carry products claiming to be natural that have parabens. And I have switched to all mineral makeup (B.E., Larenim, Alima, etc) and not only is it totally healthy, it also looks better!

It's expensive to be this paranoid...but in the US, you have to be. In the European Union, they have banned 10,000 chemicals from use in cosmetics and personal care items. Guess how many the US has banned? TEN. I sh*t you not...

Wow! Maybe I need to move to the UK? This is crazy. But yes it's super expensive. I have been successful in getting rid of sulphates out of my shampoos and body washes, but that has me spending $28 for an 8oz bottle of Aveda's Damage Remedy shampoo, and $12 for J/A/S/O/N body washes. But my conditioners still have parabens and I think some of my 'natural' skin care items too. It sucks, but you have to be rich to live healthy it seems. :confused:

To stay on topic, OP I would just nix the product altogether if I were you... :)

archel
March 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
You'll notice some things say "EU Compliant" - this will mean a product is much safer than most things from the US - however, the EU has not banned parabens yet (I think this is coming) so you still have to look for those. Sucks because I bought a bunch of Aubrey Organics stuff and had to return it. :( I'm now using the Avalon Organics stuff on my face - but I have yet to find a shampoo and conditioner that I really like. The Organics vanilla stuff that they have at Walmart and CVS is nice but not quite rich enough for my fried hair (and not really organic, however the ingredients are pretty good).

archel
March 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Oh! And you can get all natural soaps and shampoo bars from small business owners on Etsy. Man, I have to stay off that site...

sweetkandi
March 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Ive seen this stuff around, and wondered about it too, but now, seeing what some of you have to say about it, I am steering clear from it. lol

Sorus
March 18th, 2008, 08:36 PM
If I remember correctly I think VO5 conditioners are paraben free. Not sure about other ingredients in them, but that is the reason I prefer them for CO over White Rain.

Goth Rosary products are also very trimmed down ingredient wise and are paraben free.

What category do most of the banned chemicals in Europe fall into? It appalls me how many pesticides are not banned in the US despite strong evidence of endocrine interruption.

archel
March 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I just wanted to pop back in and post a couple of my favorite links before I hop off my soap box and into the bed :-D

Campaign for Safe Cosmetics (has lots of informative articles and a list of companies who have qualified for and signed the pact):
http://www.safecosmetics.org

And this is where I go to check out safety levels for a new product before I buy it (at least, I do now):
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Look up some of the stuff you use on there - you will be shocked. I learned that a product I was using from MAC (who claims to be all responsible n' stuff) rated an *8* with 10 being the absolute worst. Needless to say I'm not using it anymore...I actually decided not to use anything if it ranks higher than a 3 or 4 and so far I'm finding plenty of stuff that works well and is affordable. It just takes more research.