PDA

View Full Version : Hard water causing crunchy ends?

mermaidprincess
December 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'm in college right now, so I live on campus in a dorm. I've noticed ever since I moved there, I've had so much trouble keeping my hair looking nice. The ends of my hair are, of course, damaged from bleaching, but I've never had a problem with it sticking together and feeling crunchy until I moved to Richmond (Virginia). My hair may feel fine in the shower, but once it dries, the ends stick together in clumps and make a crunchy sound when I bend them. To undo the clumps, I brush with a BBB, but they feel horrible and dry.
The only thing that I've found helps is a clarifying shampoo. When I clarify and condition my hair, my ends dry fine and feel great. However, it only lasts that one wash. After the next shower with a normal shampoo and condition, it's back to being crunchy and clumpy.

Since I'm on break now, I went back up to my home, and I have not had any problems with my hair at all. In fact, my hair feels better than ever. It's silky, shiny, and easy to brush. For once in a very very long time, it feels healthy again.

I've looked up the water hardness in Richmond compared to here, and they're supposed to be around the same. Does my dorm just have awful water compared to the rest of Richmond? I'm so frustrated. I still have to live in my dorm for another semester, and probably in Richmond for another 7 years. I really don't want to have to cut my hair short because my hair can't handle the water.

So is it hard water, or do I just have terrible luck?

Sillage
December 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Is a shower filter an option? If you don't want to clarify each time you wash, I would rec a chelating shampoo... I've got one from Ion (at Sally's) and it feels gentler than a clarifying shampoo (sulfate free iirc) and really get the minerals out.

Ambystoma
December 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I have exactly the same problem, Melbourne water is supposed to be some of the softest water in Australia but we get white build up on our taps and in our kettle so it's still pretty bad. I was planning to cut about 2 or 3" off my ends a while ago and the rest seemed to be getting dryer and not soaking up any treatments, so I tried a chelating shampoo as a last resort before trimming and it solved the problem. I use Joico K-pak chelating shampoo (sulphates and protein for those who are wary of these ingredients) about once a month. I'd love to use it more often but I worry that it's too harsh even though it doesn't feel it, and I always deep condition afterwards. My ends still get a little dry after a few washes without it but it's 100x better than before. Ideally I'd get a shower filter and avoid the whole problem but they're not cheap - If you can afford one then definitely get one!

jeanniet
December 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM
You might try doing a citric acid rinse after each wash. I use a 1/4 tsp. to 1 gallon of water ratio, and that seems to be just about right to combat my hard well water. I've been using this rinse for nearly three years now.

Happytresses
December 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Its definately hard water. I live in southern California. The area I live in has really hard water. It gave me scalp issues and skin issues. I even started washing with bottled water for a while but that became to pricey. I bought a shower filter and it helped a little. When I go back home to NY to visit my skin and scalp are so happy. I'm thinking about having a filter installed to my water line. If you can, get some bottled water for your hair.

mermaidprincess
December 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Is a shower filter an option? If you don't want to clarify each time you wash, I would rec a chelating shampoo... I've got one from Ion (at Sally's) and it feels gentler than a clarifying shampoo (sulfate free iirc) and really get the minerals out.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can have one installed in my dorm room. I think it may be against the rules. But I'll try a chelating shampoo soon to see if that works, thanks!

I have exactly the same problem, Melbourne water is supposed to be some of the softest water in Australia but we get white build up on our taps and in our kettle so it's still pretty bad. I was planning to cut about 2 or 3" off my ends a while ago and the rest seemed to be getting dryer and not soaking up any treatments, so I tried a chelating shampoo as a last resort before trimming and it solved the problem. I use Joico K-pak chelating shampoo (sulphates and protein for those who are wary of these ingredients) about once a month. I'd love to use it more often but I worry that it's too harsh even though it doesn't feel it, and I always deep condition afterwards. My ends still get a little dry after a few washes without it but it's 100x better than before. Ideally I'd get a shower filter and avoid the whole problem but they're not cheap - If you can afford one then definitely get one!
Urrrrgh it's awful! I hate the feeling of it in my hair and on my skin!
I've heard Joico K-pak is great. Thank you!

You might try doing a citric acid rinse after each wash. I use a 1/4 tsp. to 1 gallon of water ratio, and that seems to be just about right to combat my hard well water. I've been using this rinse for nearly three years now.
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Its definately hard water. I live in southern California. The area I live in has really hard water. It gave me scalp issues and skin issues. I even started washing with bottled water for a while but that became to pricey. I bought a shower filter and it helped a little. When I go back home to NY to visit my skin and scalp are so happy. I'm thinking about having a filter installed to my water line. If you can, get some bottled water for your hair.
Well, at least I've figured out the problem and know it's not my fault. I have a ton of bottled water, so I might have to depend on that if nothing else works. Thanks for the advice!

Allychan
December 21st, 2012, 10:52 PM
Try an ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) rinse, it's great for getting rid of build up and wont strip your hair or be as harsh as chelating shampoo's can be