PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles of the Maya

Merlin
December 20th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Any 'historical hairstyle' experts been practicing their Maya hairstyles so they'll be properly dressed for the end of the world tomorrow? Or do the inhabitants of the invisble planet Nibiru have particular hairstyle trends?

Hwyfar
December 20th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I'm guessing that any hairstyle that really emphasizes your forehead is a good choise. Mayans also apparently had a thing for long heads, so I'm guessing collecting your hair on a bun pretty high and maybe doing a turban over it could be acceptable? Of course if your head has been shaped already as a baby, the better. Men should burn the front hair so that their hairline seems to be higher. That absolutely seems like something a guy nowadays would do.

shutterpillar
December 20th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Sweet. I'm in fashion for tomorrow then, as my forehead is actually a five head. :D BRING ON THE APOCALYPSE! My giant forehead and I will be waiting.

Jorja
December 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/maya Not long to get ready ..... :p

Sarahlabyrinth
December 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hmm, that will be the middle of the night for me, I will be comfortably snoring in bed with my satin sleep cap on.

jacqueline101
December 20th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I'm not worried about the apocalypse if god wants me he will find me. I think I will keep my same normal hair do.

Arden
December 20th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'm not worried about the apocalypse if god wants me he will find me. I think I will keep my same normal hair do.

I'm with you hun. But it still sounds kind of fun to learn about historical hairstyles. The bible says no one knows when the end will be. Although I'm somewhat superstitious personally. Apparently we''re hosting an end of the world party. I'm not sure how I feet about that.

Isilme
December 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm going to and End of the World party tomorrow (in my time zone) and I have been thinking about a high lazy wrap. Or double dutch braids. I'd love to know more about mayan hair fashion!

Nebulae
December 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Men should burn the front hair so that their hairline seems to be higher. That absolutely seems like something a guy nowadays would do.

Well I guess my dad is highly in fashion in preparation of the end of the world.. he had a little accident today that burned off some hairs on his already receding hairline.. how convenient! :rollin:
(and no need to worry, he is perfectly fine! only some scorched hairs. This was just a funny coincidence I had to share!)

Sillage
December 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I'm not worried about the apocalypse if god wants me he will find me.

LOL!!!!!!

BTW, I tried to GIS ancient Mayan hairstyles but didn't get anything back other than some stills from Apocolypto. :/

neko_kawaii
December 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM
If you search google images for "mayan glyph hair" and "mayan sculpture hair" and "mayan pottery hair" you get a few results, but it is hard to say what of that is hair and what is other things like feathers. And be aware that some of the results may not even be Mayan (my Mayan history is abysmal but a few of the results looked decidedly odd and less likely to be Mayan).

As for myself, I welcome Bak'tun 14 and the return of the sun. Sure wish I was invited to an End of the World party; sounds like a satirical good time.

RavennaNight
December 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
My choice of hair style would be a bun with hair swords. I don't know about historical for Mayan traditions, but YOU MUST BE ARMED FOR ZOMBIES :brains:

Wildcat Diva
December 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm totally wearing a braided bun with two hairtanas swords as I read this LOL.
I'm ready!

SerinaDaith
December 20th, 2012, 09:44 PM
0411 in my time zone. Scrunchie bun it is. I would however love to learn some historical styles for future reference.

Happytresses
December 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I wonder if in the next world I could have any hair length I want?