PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in trying to color correct Demi Permanent Hair Dye with Vitamin C

turtlelover
December 19th, 2012, 10:27 PM
The other day, I used a demi-perm dye on my hair. I have some gray, and was feeling kind of washed out because I don't feel that there is ENOUGH gray to look good -- it just felt mousy to me. Anyway, I used a medium mahogany brown shade and followed the directions for resistant gray hair. When I first saw it inside, I liked it, but when I went outside it looked SHOCKING PURPLE, particulary in all the places where the gray was. I promptly freaked out, and decided to try to cover it with another demi-perm. I picked a neutral light brown, hoping to tone down the purple to something I could handle. Anyhow, my hair must have sucked up that 2nd round of dye, because it turned PITCH BLACK. I looked Gothic, and then REALLY freaked out. At that point, even purple was sounding good. I look absolutely DREADFUL in black.

Anyway, I have to work tomorrow, and it was too late to go to Sally's for anything else. In desperation, I read on the internet that Vitamin C can lift hair dye. I crushed a handful of tablets and mixed it in w/ some cheap V05 conditioner, and left in on my hair for a couple of minutes while blasting it with a hair dryer. IT WORKED! I'm not thrilled with the color it left behind -- it is a shade of auburn that isn't terribly flattering on me -- but I will take it any day over BLACK, so I can't really complain. It really did take a huge amount of the color out of my hair.

For some reason, what was left behind seems more red than purple. The Vitamin C seemed to pull out more of the blue tones than the red tones. Since this is a demi-perm, I am hoping that the red will eventually fade a bit and leave me w/ a warm brown. I'm also hoping that the 10 volume peroxide didn't lift my base color too much since I left the stuff on so long in order to try to color the gray. Hopefully, whatever is left behind after it all fades won't be too awful!

This is yet more proof that you should SEE A GOOD COLORIST rather than try to take matters into your own hands! I am exhausted and traumatized from the ordeal. Hopefully it will have a good ending. Stay tuned! I need some pep talks to get through this. I seriously want to cry right now.

Kaelee
December 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM
When you put red dye over brown hair it turns purple for some reason. My mom taught me this when I was a young teenager, and I PROMPTLY took full advantage of it. (Actually, I wanted purple hair and she told me how to do it...maybe hoping I'd avoid the bleach and shocking purple route.)

I can imagine that result would be absolutely shocking if you were expecting a brown color! I'm glad you managed to get the color back to something more tolerable for work!

turtlelover
December 20th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I adjusted my makeup to go with the warmer color and it is kind of growing on me now that the initial shock has worn off. I definitely did NOT intend to be as red as I am, but I THINK I may end up liking it. Soooooo glad for that Vitamin C trick!!!!!

Agnieszka
December 20th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Oh, at least it's not black!!! Black does not suit everyone. it should fade more and more each day. I think lifting it with vitamin C is a good idea and when it won't lighten anymore go to hairdresser to colour your hair. I'm terrified to do it myself as I had some disasters in a past. At the moment I'm growing out henna (which was the only one time I did colour my hair on my own for ages).

Rosetta
December 20th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Yes, I've noticed vitamin C is great for removing especially semi-permanent colour, and it seems to work for other types as well. (Can I ask which brand did you use, turtlelover)?

I can see how traumatic the experience was for you, but imho this was actually a good example of successfully taking matters into your own hands, at the end! :) As you managed to get most of it out yourself. I don't trust hairdressers with my hair one bit anymore these days, I'm too terrified to do that, when many are the opposite ;) (Or maybe 'reluctant' would be a better word here than terrified...)

turtlelover
December 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Yes, I've noticed vitamin C is great for removing especially semi-permanent colour, and it seems to work for other types as well. (Can I ask which brand did you use, turtlelover)?

I can see how traumatic the experience was for you, but imho this was actually a good example of successfully taking matters into your own hands, at the end! :) As you managed to get most of it out yourself. I don't trust hairdressers with my hair one bit anymore these days, I'm too terrified to do that, when many are the opposite ;) (Or maybe 'reluctant' would be a better word here than terrified...)

The demi-perm that I used is Ion brand. I am not blaming the brand, because I was using it to try to cover gray, so I left it on longer than most people would and used it with heat. Not to mention, putting color over color always has risks! The Vitamin C was just the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart. I probably used 35 tablets crushed into a big glob of V05 conditioner. I only had to leave in on for like 5 minutes or so with heat and it took out the color. I think I will just let what is left fade naturally. I like what is left now, though I have to wear brighter makeup and earthier colors to compensate for the warmer color.

Not sure what I'll do yet when roots start to show! I don't have the money to go to a high end salon, and I'd rather take my chances on doing it myself than go to the cheaper places.