PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Style Suggetions for Winter Weather

Maelyssa
December 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
So for all my fellow long hairs who spend their winter months in cold and wet weather (I'm in the Northeast US) I'm asking your go-to styles for stepping out of the house. I'm finding that leaving my hair down keeps me warm but my heavy coat tangles the heck out of it.
Any suggestions?

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Cold weather I do a pony tail. That's my go to style.

CousinItt
December 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM
If I have to wear a hat, something secure like two Dutch braids. You can always pin the together to make a wide braid to keep your neck warmer.

battles
December 18th, 2012, 09:15 PM
When I'm too lazy to do anything interesting to my hair, I just twist it into a low bun and drop it inside a soft slouchy hat (http://www.etsy.com/listing/34356679/hand-knit-slouchy-hat-the-slouch-hat-in).

Xi
December 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I usually go with hat/hood-friendly updos -- pinned braided bun, knot buns with short hair sticks or forks, occasionally braids. Once in a blue moon I may wear it loose, but I carefully wind it up into a few loose loops, hold the loops to the back of my head, and pull the hood up over (ie, not trailing down under my coat to get rubbed by the collar). I live in one of the snowier parts of Canada. :cloud9:

~honeyflower~
December 18th, 2012, 09:37 PM
French braids are my go to's, my hair is contained better and a hat can be worn comfortably.

rock007junkie
December 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I'm finding myself doing more braids now that it's colder. They are easy to put in a hat and won't get caugth up with your coat or scarf

MrsGuther
December 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM
So for all my fellow long hairs who spend their winter months in cold and wet weather (I'm in the Northeast US) I'm asking your go-to styles for stepping out of the house. I'm finding that leaving my hair down keeps me warm but my heavy coat tangles the heck out of it.
Any suggestions?
Hawser braid. That's my go to style. It looks stylish and intricate and it stays put for hours and hours.
It's also not hard to do. :)

Amorice
December 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
2 english braids + beret + scarf! If I'm too lazy even to braid, I leave it down, but under a beanie cap + tucked into my coat to prevent the wind from destroying it.

neko_kawaii
December 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I generally put it up and wear a scarf or turtle neck. Just about any style, including sticks, if done low at the nape can be worn with a brimmed hat and knit hats fit well over non-stick buns in any position (at least over my slim buns, big buns may need bigger hats!). Also there are calorimetrys (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38109).

Chromis
December 18th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I wear it up and under a hat. Cold wind right on my forehead gives me headaches and my poor ears would freeze off without some protection! I don't think I could wear it down without getting hopelessly tangled in my parka and scarves anyhow :lol:

dulce
December 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I do a'' caterpillar braid'' with soft fluffy scrunchies,the wind is no problem with this comfortable,easy,fast style.

Zesty
December 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I just wear my hair up in my usual LWB with a stick. I use a scarf to keep my neck warm, and I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get the ear warmer I asked for for Christmas.

shutterpillar
December 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM
When I'm too lazy to do anything interesting to my hair, I just twist it into a low bun and drop it inside a soft slouchy hat (http://www.etsy.com/listing/34356679/hand-knit-slouchy-hat-the-slouch-hat-in).

Yep, I do the same. LOVE my slouchy hats!

white.chocolate
December 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM
My hair is at classic, and I do a variety of styles I find are easy/easier and don't take a lot of time, like the braided bun, vortex buns, nautilus, log roll, faux crown braid, and the list goes on... I can't wear my hair down at all when I'm outside with so many garments on me! Sometimes I also don't like having low buns because they can be rather uncomfortable when I'm wearing a thick scarf. Also, I've never worn a hat/beret since I started putting my hair up because I don't have the kinds of hats in which my bun will fit. I find wearing earmuffs a better (and warmer) alternative. They also don't make my updos and braids fuzzy as hats can do when I remove them.

PrincessIdril
December 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'm boring and shove it in a bun or a single English plait pretty much all the time. Stops it getting tangled and the plait can be shoved down the back of my jacket. I don't wear hats so it doesn't matter what I do, as long as it doesn't get in the way of my ear muffs!

torrilin
December 19th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I knit. So if my current slouchy beret doesn't fit, I knit a newer and slouchier one to drape attractively over my updos.

melusine963
December 21st, 2012, 03:43 AM

I may need to invest in one of these. Fitting my hair under my current hat is seriously cramping my styles for Winter.

redsiren
December 21st, 2012, 04:17 AM
Just a lazy infinity bun or if I'm wearing a wollen cap a Side braid.

woolyleprechaun
December 21st, 2012, 04:31 AM
I wear hats outdoors from October through to April. For beanies I stuff my hair in english braided, and I make hairstick free buns to go in my berets. Anything too low rubs on my scarf and coat. I have a few hats that will not have any hair in, which I have to pair with dutch braids or something of the sort.

Hiriel
December 21st, 2012, 04:50 AM
I adapt my headgear, rather than my hair ;)
I hardly ever wear hats anymore, but buffs or calorimetries. Keeps me warm enough.

If I need to wear a hood I will use a braid, because I can't get my hood over both my bun and my head at the same time...

Maelyssa
December 22nd, 2012, 06:39 AM
Some great suggestions i'll have to try. See, I work 90% outdoors and its a constant fight between a style that protects my hair and being warm for 8 hours. I'm going. To experiment with everyone's suggestions and see what works.

Lostsoule77
December 22nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
I tend to just wear my buns with ear muffs. I only have an 8 minute walk to work though. When I wear it down I just am careful (easier said than done.) In your situation I think I'd do with a braid. Keep it down when you have to and stuff it into hoods when you can. Ear muffs or a calorimetry would work great too. I just don't think they'd be warm enough for all day.

torrilin
December 22nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Some great suggestions i'll have to try. See, I work 90% outdoors and its a constant fight between a style that protects my hair and being warm for 8 hours. I'm going. To experiment with everyone's suggestions and see what works.

I should probably note then that I'm quite often wearing 2 hats. A close fitting hat, and then a cuter hat over top. It sounds dorky, but since I only walk or bike to get around and Madison WI is not exactly warm... I'd rather be vaguely dorky than freeze my ears off. It's like anything else, layers help.