PDA

View Full Version : advice for a friend

blaketob
December 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hello everyone!

My really good friend has been having a lot of hair complications. She has baby fine hair and as it gets longer, she thinks it is starting to look stringy. I told her it doesn't, but I understand her concern for thinness. She is in the process of growing out a bunch of layers since a blunt hemline will make her hair look thicker. What else could she do to to help make it thicker? She also thinks she has protein overload in her hair, but she doesn't know how to help that and I don't either so I thought I'd ask you guys for help! Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated :)

rock007junkie
December 18th, 2012, 12:45 PM
If she's not opposed to color change I would strongly suggest henna or cassia. It really thickens the hair strands

biogirl87
December 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM
If she thinks hse has protein overload in her hair, I would suggest that she start using conditioner that is protein-free (conditioner that doesn't have amino acids, hydrolyzed anything, the word protein in its ingredients). Maybe have her start using a protein-free shampoo shampoo as well. These don't have to be expensive, among Garnier, Suave, VO5, and Herbal Essences, I've found only 4 shampoos/conditioners that contain protein. To my knowledge, all Garnier shampoos and conditioners are protein-free. Only the coconut shampoo/conditioner in Suave line has protein. The only VO5 line that contains proteins is Silky Experiences and among Herbal Essences only Long Term Relationship has proteins in it. This is pretty current info as I looked at these bottles last weekend when I was out shopping for new shampoo and conditioner.

DancingQueen
December 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I would suggest trying priorin - it is the only thing that ever helped my hair. I took it to stop shedding and get thicker hair, and it actually worked. If you do a search, you will find an official thread - there are lots of links to where you can buy it, or read about it. Best of luck to her. :)

lapushka
December 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Maybe tell her to microtrim until all the layers are grown out, before she grows it longer. It might help with the look of stringiness. Also, clarifying might help.

blaketob
December 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!!

rock007junkie: I'm not quite sure henna would look good on her. She is extremely fair skinned with blonde hair and usually the henna colors are dark and red right?

biogirl87: I'll make sure to check her products the next time I'm over her house lol. I know she uses "Miracle It's a 10" spray which has a lot of protein in it.

Dancing Queen: Hmm... that sounds interesting, I will send her the link to it! Thank you!

lapushka: Unfortunately she does do both now. She gets a trim every 8 weeks to help with the stringiness and clarifies often. Thanks for the tip though :)

dulce
December 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I also have baby fine hair[hip length now] and after I grew out all my layers, and went to a blunt slight u hem ,that helped it look thicker overall.

Natalia
December 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Going wo made my hair appear and feel thicker but that isnt a route for everyone. As others have mentioned cassia or henna generally have a thickening effect but i found cassia too much work and i dont want to change my color with henna.

Dragon
December 20th, 2012, 02:36 AM
If she has protein overload I would suggest clarifying it and giving it a conditioning treatment with something protein free and start using products that are protein free.