PDA

View Full Version : I dip dyed my ends!

AnqeIicDemise
December 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM
And I *love it*.

After a few kinks during the visit (we had a fire alarm go off) and a bit of convincing on her part to continue with the appointment, here's the end result:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CcONvUDWgYY/UNAU51-X-7I/AAAAAAAAALA/gdntYsZ7PoQ/s320/IMG_0152.JPG http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fYYj1qISkqY/UNAU4H8KhmI/AAAAAAAAAK4/MYqohxfZvoc/s320/IMG_0151.JPG

http://mthair.blogspot.com/2012/12/dip-dye-december.html If you want to read how the appointment went. :D I heart my Alice!

ETA: and for those cringing at this, I assure you, the hair was pre-treated with coconut oil. It is still, quite, unbelievably soft and shiny. (The shine was something I wasn't aware of until I was sitting in the chair. No wonder people ask me what shine serum I use. O.o Thank you, LHC! :D)

Bedhead
December 18th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Nicely done! Can you post a pic showing your length and how it looks against your natural colour?

joflakes
December 18th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Ooh, pretty! I got my ends dip-dyed a month or so ago (well, I had them bleached!) and I''m unsure as to whether to put some deposit-only dye on them, but you may have just persuaded me! It looks lovely.

I echo the call for a full length shot!

AnqeIicDemise
December 18th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Nicely done! Can you post a pic showing your length and how it looks against your natural colour?

Done and done.

Mind you, the color's off. The lights in the house are very..erm.. yellow ish. I even stood in the kitchen but the hallogen lights still cast off a yellowish hue.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TQzoCDH1bSk/UNAkrMnM3oI/AAAAAAAAALQ/g2NLtaMOmfQ/s320/IMG_0163.JPG

eta: the braid waves make the effect look wonky and in some parts kind of photoshopish because they don't lay quite evenly.

Toadstool
December 18th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Pretty! And a beautiful colour :-)

Ligeia_13
December 18th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I love it!

millyaulait
December 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
So pretty!

When my hair is WL I would love to do something like this! :crush:

crazycandigirl
December 18th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Very pretty!

BrightEyes
December 18th, 2012, 07:47 AM
It looks great!

rock007junkie
December 18th, 2012, 08:13 AM
That's so pretty! Is this a result of bleach and permanent dye?

SerinaDaith
December 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Love it! That is really pretty!

joflakes
December 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Ooh, shiny! I like it a lot! =)

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I love it.

Mischamiu
December 18th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I love it! I would love to the something like this when my hair is longer... but I think I would go for a blondish colour :D

alyaziaaah
December 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Very beautiful!

oktobergoud
December 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Very pretty! Looove the colour!

Flashaway
December 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
It's really cool! Too bad my fine ends couldn't support such thing :(.

Nebulae
December 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Oooh pretty! And so shiny! :thud:
I'm starting to feel like I wanna do some dip dying too.. Tho I henna my hair so I'm thinking black ends.. Hmm we will see :D

AnqeIicDemise
December 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM
That's so pretty! Is this a result of bleach and permanent dye?

Its bleach and a demi permanent. It'll eventually wash out and then I'll get to slap on a deposit only color like manic panic or Special Effects.

AnqeIicDemise
December 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Oooh pretty! And so shiny! :thud:
I'm starting to feel like I wanna do some dip dying too.. Tho I henna my hair so I'm thinking black ends.. Hmm we will see :D

OooOo!! Sounds pretty, just.. I hear black dye and henna don't mix very well. But you can use the black deposit only color from MP instead, maybe? You just don't want to turn green.

rock007junkie
December 18th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Its bleach and a demi permanent. It'll eventually wash out and then I'll get to slap on a deposit only color like manic panic or Special Effects.

Awesome! I've been thinking about doing the same since I eventually need to cut the last 4 inches of my hair anyway.

melusine963
December 21st, 2012, 02:52 AM
Wow! Your ends look great. I wish I were brave enough to try something like this.

TheHowlingWolf
December 21st, 2012, 03:54 AM
So pretty! I love the color!

AnqeIicDemise
December 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
I think I started a trend at work. A friend of mine showed up with vibrant *blue* ends. So jealous! (My hair has too many red undertones plus henna to be able to lift blonde enough for blue)

@melusine Thanks! I was a little worried about that at first but I realized the bleached sections from a previous purple attempt were still doing pretty well. I wear my hair up 90% of the time and I've switched from a comb to the tangle teezer. I do believe that single switch above the other amazing things I've done thanks to LHC have saved my ends the best. I really didn't need so many trims this year but I'm trying to get rid of layers.

Nebulae
December 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM
OooOo!! Sounds pretty, just.. I hear black dye and henna don't mix very well. But you can use the black deposit only color from MP instead, maybe? You just don't want to turn green.

Ohh okay.. thanks for the warning :D I thought any dye with BAQ henna would be fine.. But I was thinking about deposit only/non-permanent dyes anyway because my ends are already fried from previous damage and then it would wash out. I need to start researching.. I like the idea :D The ends will be trimmed off anyway so I could play around with them hihi.

Lucky_Lucy
December 28th, 2012, 05:49 AM
wow so pretty!! <3 I might try it sometime when my hair is longer or when I'm bored :P :D

Chaotica
December 28th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I really love the colour! It suits your hair and looks pretty!

vanillabones
December 28th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I LOVE it. I love the red.

Sinnamon
December 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Wow, dip dye really suits your hair, it's very pretty!

DarkCurls
December 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
It looks really cool. Red is my favorite color and it looks amazing against your hair.

Unicorn
January 2nd, 2013, 05:48 PM
Ohh okay.. thanks for the warning :D I thought any dye with BAQ henna would be fine.. But I was thinking about deposit only/non-permanent dyes anyway because my ends are already fried from previous damage and then it would wash out. I need to start researching.. I like the idea :D The ends will be trimmed off anyway so I could play around with them hihi.

If you're thinking black ends, would adding indigo to the ends work? Many people use a henna/indigo mix to colour their hair black.

Unicorn

Nebulae
January 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM
If you're thinking black ends, would adding indigo to the ends work? Many people use a henna/indigo mix to colour their hair black.

Hmm, well that is an option but it seems like a longer process.. plus dip dying with mud seems more complicated :D If I go through with it I think it will be some kind of deposit only. Thanks for the input though! :)

AnqeIicDemise
January 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Wow, dip dye really suits your hair, it's very pretty!

Thanks. :p I wasn't sure at first but I'm glad Alice talked me into it.

Update: it will be a month tomorrow and there's been very little fading. I think she may have used something a little bit more permanent, I'm not too sure. I'll have to ask next time I see her, whenever that is. Probably in another year?

imaroo
January 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM
do they literally dip your hair in the dye, or is it called that because it's meant to look like it was dipped?

My daughter had hers done just like that once with a bright bubble gum pink. It didn't last, though, so she ended up with pink tinted blond ends.

AnqeIicDemise
January 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Its called dip dye because it looks like you've dipped your hair in a vat of dye. She highlighted my ends, let me sit under a dryer for process. Once that was done, she rinsed my hair out and she then let my ends 'marinate' right in the shampoo bowl for about fifteen minutes before rinsing that off .

ETA: some colors bleed and fade faster than others. Blues are notorious for this as well as the lighter hues as well. I have little containers of Manic Panic that I have to use when mine starts to fade to brighten up and refresh my ends. I have a friend who'd mix her own batches of MP once her hair faded so she often had different colors every other month.

jlb
January 7th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Thank you! This is gorgeous & just the push I needed. I didn't want a new haircut but have been getting really bored lately. So instead of dip dyeing i'm going to have a few streaks put in I can then add manic panic colors to as needed. Should make my braids more interesting.

WilfredAllen
January 7th, 2013, 10:41 PM
wow! looks awesome!

Lostsoule77
January 9th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Looks really good! I was toying with this just without bleaching first. Hmmm