PDA

View Full Version : Hair doughnut in any color!!

whitedove
December 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I found this from a crochet site and thought it was great idea to share with you all. Thought it was great, as many here I know, already have yarn the same color as their hair from creating parandas. Now you can use left over yarn to make your doughnuts. Even with unique colored hair, (like the lady who designed it) you can have a doughnut you cannot see. Happy crafting all.

http://www.crochetdynamite.com/2012/11/better-than-sock-bun.html

I hope I have linked it alright and the mods wont get mad at me posting on main with this :)

Ops sorry about typo in the title, brian and fingers not in sync due to exitement :)

Quixii
December 17th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Oo, cool! Thanks for sharing!
I'll have to figure out if I can do a similar thing with knitting instead of crocheting.. :)

Macaroni
December 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Neat, thanks!

Sillage
December 17th, 2012, 05:38 PM
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this WhiteDove.

sisi33
December 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM
:thumbsup: Bookmark worthy!

Amorice
December 17th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Awesome! I have some "blonde" ones that match my hair now, but I'll hold on to this for when I go back to purple!

melusine963
December 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Bookmarked. Now all I have to do is learn to crochet and find some wool in my colour. :)

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2012, 08:24 PM
That's awesome.

Eirelin
December 17th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Also, if you cannot crochet, you can also get a knitting nancy (or knitting mushroom) to make a cable (I have also heard it called a braid) that can be rolled down and stitched into a doughnut.

AnqeIicDemise
December 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM
why did I never think of this before? Great question, Demise!

Natalia
December 18th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Fun thanks for sharing :) if i can get to my yarn i can whip one up in time for x-mas

LadyLongLocks
December 18th, 2012, 07:27 AM
That is a great idea! The trouble with a regular sock is that if you need to stick a hair pin into it the material stops it. This knit one seems it would hold a pin better. Then there are the meshy ones that you buy in stores, usually only 3 colors and one size.

SerinaDaith
December 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Oh this is so happening! I even have all of the supplies! Thank you for posting this!

browneyedsusan
December 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
How cool is this?!?!? I can't wait until I grow my hair long enough to use it!
Thanks for sharing!
Must make one for DD..... :)

QMacrocarpa
December 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Knitting works too. :) I found it worked well to alternate a few knit rows with a few purl rows to create a ribbed effect around the knitted rat. I stuffed my knit ones with a few scraps of fleece fabric before joining the ends of the tube for a bit of extra oomph.

Nique1202
December 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I had some yarn leftover from a beard-looking ski mask and it was only a couple of shades lighter than my colour, so I cast on 20 stitches in the round, knitted about 4-5 inches, then rolled it up like a sock bun. Same idea, different execution. :) I'm not long enough to roll it all up with no ends left out, but I can use it to make a cute messy-dressy bun for the holidays, at least!

LaurelSpring
December 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Great idea! Thank you for the link!

MORE
December 19th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Ah, cravings!!! So cute, I love them.

jel
December 19th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Very cute, thanks for sharing! Although I can't crochet, it gives me ideas...

white.chocolate
December 19th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Why haven't I thought of that before?! And here I was complaining that rolled up socks weren't satisfactory! Thanks a lot for sharing!

raingirl
December 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
This is awesome! I'm worried it might be too heavy though? I was thinking, if you got a light/natural yarn you could dye it with deposit only dye to match your hair colour? Or dye with henna to match henna hair?

I was thinking cotton dish cloth type yarn but that' would definitely be too heavy...

I have a huge stash, I must plunder it and try this!

Ayjay
December 19th, 2012, 01:46 PM
How in the world have I not thought of this before? I'm not sure how to choose my colors though. I would need to make it half and half.

Quixii
December 19th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I whipped this up in a couple hours the other night:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/DSCN5067_zpsfd17a067.jpg
It's definitely lighter than my hair colour, but I didn't have any yarn the same colour. It's closer than the grey sock I used to use (and can no longer find), though.
Here it is in action (warning, my hair was a bit uncooperative since it had been in a cinnabun, and I hadn't done a sock bun in over a year so there was some extra length I was unused to):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/DSCN5072_zps43904ccc.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/DSCN5074_zps17f38feb.jpg