PDA

View Full Version : cone question

bubblyredhead
December 17th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I was wondering how much cones do you think it takes before your hair isnt getting any moisture, should I go ahead and clarify every week? I have this big paranoia about my hair " dieing of thirst" if I dont strip the cones off the next day. SO I guess my question is will my hair still receive the moisture from a non cone conditioner if I had used a cone conditioner and I do not use sulfates unless I am clarifying.

akilina
December 17th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I think you are totally fine... I would stop worrying so much like that and Im sure your hair is doing just fine and is not moisture starved. You would know if it was truly moisture starved, and in that case switching products completely sounds like the best option.
Also, I would not clarify once a week..It just sounds like too much. I only clarify every two months...or when my hair just feels like it *needs* it...which is basically..Never. Ever.
I feel like if you are using products that makes you feel the need to clarify once a week its time to switch the ole routine up.

What cones exactly are in your products?

biogirl87
December 17th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Bubblyredhead, your hair may still receive moisture from a cone-free conditioner. I think the safer thing to do would be clarify before using a cone-free conditioner. Any SLS or SLES containing shampoo would work (although if I remember correctly Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo has a cone in it). About your first question, depending on the cones you are using, it could be a while before your hair stops getting any moisture as amino cones resist building up and with those cones you can go longer without clarifying. If your hair isn't feeling dry, I would say that you can continue using your coney conditioners as they also tend to be on the moisture side of things. And as alkina mentioned already, you totally can go longer than one week between clarifying washes. Quite a few members on here who clarify do so no more frequent than once a month Hope this helps.

spidermom
December 17th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. As well as shielding your hair from atmospheric moisture, cones seal in the intrinsic moisture (so it isn't evaporating). I clarify about once every 2-3 months.

RubyTuesday
December 17th, 2012, 07:32 AM
My hair would be like straw if I clarified every week.

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about it I'd clarify once a month or every two. Clarify when your hair looks and acts really bad.

Sillage
December 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I have this big paranoia about my hair " dieing of thirst" if I dont strip the cones off the next day.

But do we want moisturized hair? LuxePiggy just dropped some knowledge in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109230&page=2) about blow drying. :

"Moisturized Hair"
Before we can properly discuss the effects of heat drying, it's important to understand that the term "moisturized hair" is a misnomer. Contrary to popular belief, moisture increases friction between hair fibers and decreases tensile strength, which leads to an increase in hair frizz and styling difficulties. The sensory characteristics (shine, smoothness, fewer tangles, lack of frizz) attributed by the average consumer to "moisturized hair" are in reality demonstrated by hair that contains less moisture.

WaitingSoLong
December 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't worry about it I'd clarify once a month or every two. Clarify when your hair looks and acts really bad.

This is what I was going to say. I clarify when my hair stops behaving. I can just tell it is time, if that makes sense. It usually is every 6 weeks or so.

dulce
December 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I have used cones for several years now and never clarified once,my hair is doing fine,so I wouldn't worry if I was you ,unless you see a problem.

finzi
December 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
It rather depends on which cone you're using - different cones/other ingredients will build up in different ways, at different rates and both factors will vary depending on the hair in question! I think the best thing to do is take one wash at a time, see how you progress and clarify only when you think you see signs of build up, otherwise you might end up clarifying too often and drying your hair out, as other posters have commented.

I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner after every wash and it leaves my hair feeling soft and very moisturised. After two months I still have no signs of build-up. HH contains Bis-Aminopropyl Dimenthicone which is what is known as an amine-functionalized silicone (see this excellent article (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones) over at Naturally Curly.com. Amine-functionalized silicones tend not to cause the severe build up problems which are typically associated with cones but of course everyone is different.

There are other ingredients that can leave the hair feeling dry and covered in product build-up. For me, behentrimonium chloride is a recipe for disaster! I can use it once and it's fine. Twice, and my hair feels like it's coated in candle wax, and I have to clarify. Behentrimonium methosulfate however is fine and I can use it again and again with no problems.

Anyway, ditto what others have said - clarify only when your hair starts to feel gunky/dry/coated etc, others you'll end up with super-parched hair!

Gladtobemom
December 17th, 2012, 12:10 PM
My own experience is that it takes a LOT of cones to get you to the point where you get the crunchies and moisturizing seems to not work. It used to happen to me when I used hair serum.

Of course, learning to chelate every 6 months or so and clarify every so often, made all the difference.

HintOfMint
December 17th, 2012, 12:14 PM
In addition to what others are saying, cones don't saran-wrap your hair. The shaft still absorbs water when you get in the shower and dries when you get out. It may provide some of a barrier against atmospheric moisture, but it's far from perfect. You're fine.

bubblyredhead
December 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys, I am mainly using chi silk infusion which has cyclomethicone and dimethicone and occasionally a dove conditioner with ddimethicone every now and then i will use a sulfate shampoo mostly when my hair just feels icky and co washing is not doing the trick to clean my hair. I feel a lot better about this now and that blow dry article really peaks my interest.

ScarlettAdelle
December 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
It really depends on your own hair. Some people's hair responds really well to cones and becomes a tangley, ratty mess, and others get amazing results by going cone-free. There are also many, many cases on a scale in between, so it may take some experimentation on your part to figure out how much is 'just enough' for you.

I can say, though, with some certainty, that using a clarifying / stripping shampoo more than once a week (unless you're a swimmer or something, and are taking things like chlorine or other substances that mean serious business out of your hair) is probably too much. Those shampoos also pull the oils out of your hair that it needs and sometimes rough up the cuticle some. Also, some people do confuse the necessary natural oils that the scalp produces as oils to be removed. Unless your hair is constantly being bombarded with harsh chemicals (again, like chlorine or something), that squeaky clean feeling usually isn't one you want, and, long term, can be damaging and drying. I would probably suggest in most cases using sulfate shampoo once every other week, max, if you really need it, and sulfate free or low sulfate whenever you need to wash your hair. It may take some getting used to, and there might be a bit of a period where your hair feels too oily, but it will pass, and your hair will thank you. There's really no substitute for your own natural oils, even if you do use a very moisturising conditioner after the shampoo.

I wouldn't worry too much about your hair not receiving the oils it needs because of the sulfates unless you're just constantly bombarding it with heavy, heavy cones like thick serums. Also, if you're still worried about it, washing your hair with the clarifying shampoo and then oiling it with olive oil, avocado, almond, coconut oil and / or vitamin E oil etc before the cones are reintroduced might help to calm those fears, as you know your hair is properly moisturised and happy underneath the cones.

Again, all of this might take some experimentation, but, the cool thing is we're all on this discovery and experimentation journey with you! :D

RavennaNight
December 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't stress too much. Lately I have found I don't have to clarify that often. I use SLS-free shampoo because I color my hair. As long as I don't put the coney conditioner directly on the roots by the scalp, and start mid-shaft, I haven't any issues with cones. Everyone's hair is different, and different cones are different with different people's hair. I can use dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane and some others, but dimethiconol is the :evil:. But for you it may be different.