PDA

View Full Version : Taking responsibility for a drastic haircut

Bene
December 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
For a few months or so, I've been musing about cutting all my hair off. And then one month ago today, I woke up from a weird dream. I don't remember the exact details, except that I opened a box of my hairtoys only to find them melted and broken. And then I woke up. So that very day, I went from tailbone to short. Short short. Boy short.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/photo-1-2.jpg

The stylist was hesitant to go shorter, and I had to badger her into cutting off so much. And now I have 2 braids, measuring 19 inches in length, sitting in a drawer. I wanted to keep it, since it's mine, but stylists never remember to save it, so I made up some story about donating it. She braided it, and held the scissors to where she was going to make the cuts, and I kept having to tell her to go higher.

I asked for it and I take full responsibility for my actions. Someone I know tried to start a stylist bashing convo with me, but I was like "Dude, it wasn't an accident, I got exactly what I asked for, I'm not going to blame someone else for this" Apparently, blaming the stylist is the thing to do :rolleyes: I kind of get the feeling that whining about haircuts is almost expected. That "I asked for shoulder and got nape length, blah blah blah" type of thing.

So far, I do find short hair more difficult to deal with than longer hair, in terms of it being presentable. Washing goes faster, but with my hair type, it tends to curl up. And frizz. I also notice that it gets dirty faster, since I'm doing more preening and running my hands through it. It's not even long enough to tuck behind my ears.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/photo-6.jpg

That's what it looks like straight out of the towel after a wash. I'm still working on drying techniques, but so far I've been relying on a headband after a quick comb and oil session.

I'll grow back to tailbone, possibly longer, so I'm not getting rid of my hairtoys. It'll just be a few years before I can really use them again.

Wildcat Diva
December 15th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Beautiful hair Bene! Shiny! I'm glad you are happy with your hair, even if it is a bit shorter. I'm sure you will adjust to being able to style it more efficiently.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Well done you, Bene! Your hair looks beautiful - and shiny, too! I bet you are enjoying the ease of washing which comes with short hair. And you will be able to re-enjoy all the styles again as you grow into them. Hehe.

rtree721
December 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I am happy that you got what you asked for with your haircut, that is always a good thing. I myself am never happy with a haircut (so I don't go to salons anymore) and always feel that the hairdresser took more off than I wanted... is it just an illusion or is it because of that panicky feeling of losing length... who knows :P. Anyway, I wish you luck in finding a new way to style and maintain your new hair. I agree that short hair is more difficult because you can't just throw it back in a bun when it looks bad. Let us know about the progress you are making!

Kaelee
December 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I love it! It looks great, and I'm happy that you love it too!

neko_kawaii
December 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I think it's cute! I know I ran my fingers through my hair a lot when I went from long to short and it always took me a few months to get used to seeing myself in the mirror; who the heck is. . .oh, that's me. My husband has similar troubles with hair stylists. He goes so long between cuts that they always say, "Really? A #2? Have you had it that short before?"

Yes, it will take you some amount of time reckoned in years to grow your hair long again, but now you know WHY you enjoy having your hair long and you are unlikely to have itchy scissor fingers.

Have fun with all the different lengths ahead of you!

lapushka
December 15th, 2012, 06:28 PM
So far, I do find short hair more difficult to deal with than longer hair, in terms of it being presentable. Washing goes faster, but with my hair type, it tends to curl up. And frizz. I also notice that it gets dirty faster, since I'm doing more preening and running my hands through it. It's not even long enough to tuck behind my ears.

I think it's a big adjustment, nonetheless. That's what I noticed with shorter hair too. Gets dirty (greasy) quicker, takes less time to wash, yes, but you're then wasting so much time and effort styling *every* *single* *day*.

I hope you can find some way of dealing with your new found curls (gorgeous, BTW).

akilina
December 15th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Wow that is awesome! And crazy also. That is great that you like it!!

I especially respect that YOU take full responsibility! I think more people need to have that mindset you have instead of blaming their hair issues on someone else most of the time.

LOL I would also, be the stylist freaking out not wanting to chop it all off and measuring too long at first.

Lissandria
December 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Looks cute :)

sun-kissed
December 15th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Crazy lady, what have you done? :lol:

(So.incredibly.cute!!)

lapushka
December 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I asked for it and I take full responsibility for my actions. Someone I know tried to start a stylist bashing convo with me, but I was like "Dude, it wasn't an accident, I got exactly what I asked for, I'm not going to blame someone else for this" Apparently, blaming the stylist is the thing to do :rolleyes: I kind of get the feeling that whining about haircuts is almost expected. That "I asked for shoulder and got nape length, blah blah blah" type of thing.

I think it's not fair mocking those who come here to find some solace after a bad cut, which was *not* their fault. Losing length or large parts of your hair, especially when it's not wanted can be a harsh experience!

I especially respect that YOU take full responsibility! I think more people need to have that mindset you have instead of blaming their hair issues on someone else most of the time.

It's not always the stylist's fault, true, but consistently trying to excuse stylists is also not done, IMO.

jojo
December 15th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Oh my you dont do things by halves but it looks so shiny and healthy, plus you know you can grow to extreme lengths. Enjoy your new length and look at those curls, what not to like!

piffyanne
December 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Crazy lady, what have you done? :lol:

(So.incredibly.cute!!)

I'm with sun-kissed here. Hand in your LHC cards before you go hahah!

WSL is scared we'd reject her if she did this, but the LHC is more about community than hair length to me.

I'm so glad you're happy, it looks very cute! :blossom:

Seeshami
December 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Oh it's so cute!!!!! It almost makes me want to too! :o

The Naughty Mess says "Oh *bleep* that *bleep*. You will NOT cut me. I'll strangle you.":mad:

Carolyn
December 15th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Holy crap! Enjoy your new cut and enjoy the grow out. I am glad to hear you kept your hair and didn't donate it.

turtlelover
December 15th, 2012, 08:39 PM
HAHA I actually have been considering getting training as a hairdresser, and having to chop off hair like yours while on the job is like my worst case scenario. I would worry that the client would freak out afterwards, not to mention that *I* would freak out!:p But, I really am glad you are enjoying the change! In the end, that is all that matters. :) But PLEASE do not make me do it! LOL

kidari
December 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Sometimes we need a nice refreshing change! Also, I think the journey of growing it out can be enjoyable. You learn so much and take advantage of each stage in the growth. I miss the tails-up easy updo with a clip that I was able to do at APL for example. You can use your braided hair as hairpieces and even test dyes on them- henna, bleaching and coloring, anything you want!

Silken
December 15th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Sometimes, you need some drastic action. Enjoy it! It looks very cute, btw.

Mayflower
December 16th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Wow! That must feel pretty liberating and fresh. I remember my first (and only, length-wise) drastic haircut: I was 13 and cut my straight waist length hair to nape length and suddenly BOOM, curls. I went even shorter after that and it was pretty fun and easy after having had 'long' hair for so long.

Really cool, enjoy the change.

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM
It looks nice and easy to maintain. If you're happy so am I.

spidermom
December 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Huge change!
I used to slick my hair back with gelled fingers when my hair was around that length and then let it do its thing. Easy-peasy. Sometimes I miss the ease of short hair.

cwarren
December 18th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Gorgeous curls! You'll get used to them.

I have to say, you're very brave to cut from TB to nape! But it looks good on you :D

ravenreed
December 19th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I love the new style! I have been missing the freedom of my wash and go days. I let my hair be wild and didn't worry much about styling or blow drying, even then. The longing got especially bad the other day, so I took an inch an a half off my hair and went NUTS with layers. I love it. I have a friend who says, "A change is as good as a holiday." I think sometimes it is true. Happy growing again!