PDA

View Full Version : Some might consider it gross...

pittsburgpam
December 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
But I haven't washed my hair in two weeks! I've been off work all week and just puttering around the house, sewing Christmas gifts, finished a quilt, canned homemade strawberry jam, etc. I only went out twice and it was in a bun anyway. I have to say that it is INCREDIBLY soft!! I've been running my hands through it all morning and it just feels like silk.

I notice that the natural oils have actually got to the ends (about Classic) and they look like they would if I had lightly oiled them.

Several weeks ago I had heavily oiled with coconut oil on a Sunday night because I would be washing it before work the next morning. Well, it was freezing in my house so I just did a quick shower without washing my hair and wore it in a bun to work. It didn't look too bad, kind of looked like it would if I went to work with it wet in a bun anyway. It sure felt nice though.

Maybe I should re-think doing CO washes. I never considered it because my hair gets very oily but, since I wear it in a bun or braid every day, why not?

rock007junkie
December 15th, 2012, 11:04 AM
That's not gross. One should wash their hair only as often as necessary. Glad this is working for you.

embee
December 15th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Heh. I will only tell you..... I've been on the NW/SO (winter) and the WO (summer) kick for a couple of years now. :)

The only part that really needs wahing for me is the part right around the hairline.

It is very important to comb/brush/preen or there could be a real mess. But you already know that! :D

redsiren
December 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I don'think it's gross I try to stretch my washes longer and longer. (I wash with ghassoul or I co)
Everyone should do what works for them.
As for me, if I don't wash my hair for more than tree days it get's really itchy.:)
So I think I'm at my max (for now)

spidermom
December 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I've been trying to go one week but the way my hair and scalp feel on about day 5 is hard to get past. I've only managed it once.

Tota
December 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
It's not gross, it's great! I wish I could go that long. My biggest achievement this year was to stretch washes from every other day to every fifth day! And the only thing that helped me with that was CO! My next goal is to stretch it to once a week. I have oily scalp too, but with CO my scalp doesn't get greasy as fast as it did when I was using shampoo. Amazing.

Katleen
December 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM
It's not gross! I just washed my hair after 10 days, and I could have stretched even longer. When I wash it too often, it gets superdry. So good for you for having soft silky hair!!! ;)

Mischamiu
December 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I can go one week, sometimes a tiny bit more :o

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I wash mine once a week so its not gross.

pittsburgpam
December 15th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I just washed it because I'm going to do a Light Mountain cover the gray henna and it needs to be towel dry. I'll try CO washing and I just got 6 bottles of Giovanni Smooth As Silk condish from Amazon. I'm not totally sure if I like it yet, it doesn't seem to give it a lot of slip but it's probably good for a more frequent CO.

lapushka
December 15th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I don't think it's gross at all. Due to circumstances (that I can't explain), I could only get my hair washed once every two weeks (and this situation lasted for months), when normally my hair needs washing twice or even three times a week! I got a severe bout of SD because of it. But thanks to that period I can now go one week without washing, admittedly the last two to three days are a bit horrendous (and kind of smelly to me even though others say they don't smell a thing), but hey...

proo
December 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM
We'll be seeing you ovah on the NW/SO thread . .

pittsburgpam
December 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Ha ha... so much for plans. Right after the last post my daughter and her four kids showed up! We ordered lunch delivered and visited so now my hair is about dry and I didn't get the henna done.

AutumnLocks
December 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I don't find it to be gross. I usually wash mine once a week if it's not PMS time. In that case I usually have to do it twice a week, but never more.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I was recently reading in an article on hair care written in 1911 that "too much washing is bad for the hair and it should not be washed more often than once every three weeks"... so there you have it. It also recommended to use a BBB, and bathing the hair in fresh hair and sunlight, ie. shaking it loose outside to freshen it up in between washes.

pittsburgpam
December 15th, 2012, 07:31 PM
So nice to have people that understand. If I posted something like this on FaceBook I'm sure there would be cries of "ewwwww!"

Natalia
December 15th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I dont find it gross. I am wo and on the occasions i dont wash at all i do a medium oiling and let the shower steam turn it into a DT. i usually put it in a high bun and leave it overnight and when i wake up i have the softest hair :D you just went the natural route to the same ends.

Wildcat Diva
December 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I think it's fantastic. I'm happy for you! I'm at about one week right now. I'll take my time and see later on if I can go longer.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 16th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I am finding it all pretty interesting, I can go a week if I wear my hair up - maybe I should try for longer....:)

white.chocolate
December 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Not gross. It's just great that you found something that works for you and you're comfortable with!

turtlelover
December 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I cant go more than 2 days w/out getting a horribly itchy head and terrible dandruff. Not to mention, my fine hair looks gross when it gets more that the slightest bit greasy.

woolyleprechaun
December 16th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Theres nothing wrong with that at all! If anything, its something to celebrate ;)
I wash my hair about once a week. In the winter (hat weather) I'm happy with even less. Providing I tend to my scalp and take care to comb, brush and oil, my hair realy benefits from it.

pittsburgpam
December 17th, 2012, 08:49 AM
After finally washing it feels really nice. It seems softer and smoother than normal after a wash but I'm not sure if it's because of the natural oils or because of the Giovanni Smooth As Silk shampoo and conditioner. I've only used it a couple of times so don't have much to judge it on. I also didn't put it up at all before it was dry and that usually means it's not as smooth as when it is bunned when wet.

floralgem
December 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I would love to be able to stretch washes like that, but due to the fact that I develop flakes and my hair gets itchy after a few days, I have to wash it 2 times a week :( Plus, I'm in cheerleading, so I sweat more and my hair grows a tad funky after a little. But when I don't wash it, it looks ah-mazing.

melusine963
December 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I also plan to be pretty lazy about washing my hair over Christmas. I'm glad this worked out so well for you. :)

dwell_in_safety
December 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I don't think it's gross at all! After washing my entire life every other day with S+C, over the past year with CO I've stretched to one wash every nine days, and I'm quite proud of it. :) My hair is so much more self-regulating now.

dancingrain91
December 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I wish I could go that long but my scalp is so oily. I occasionally wash every other day but it itches too bad to do that regularly.

MissEarlGrey
December 17th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I've haven't washed my hair in 9 days, and I'm usually a one-a-week washer; I attribute it to finals laziness. I am starting to get rather itchy though, so the time is coming. On the bright side, my hair is fabulously soft, so I understand where you are coming from.

Puertoricangirl
December 27th, 2012, 02:03 AM
That's not gross :) at least for those who know how to keep their hair healthy. I wash my hair with my shampoo bars and an acv rinse once a week nothing more or less. I think I could even go longer if I wanted to my hair is pretty much used to it :) it makes my hair so healthy and shiny!

vanillabones
December 27th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I don't think that it's gross that you didn't wash you hair for two weeks... but picturing my hair not being washed for two weeks.... now that's gross.

catamonica
December 30th, 2012, 01:33 AM
It isn't gross. I wash my hair once a week. And sometimes do a scalp wash. But I couldn't go two weeks. It would start to itch.

spirals
December 30th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I have the itchies, too. I actually can't go more than 4 days. Lately it's been every day.