PDA

View Full Version : Least damaging hair rollers or techniques to curl hair for wedding day?

shazzshazshz
December 15th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Hi everyone! I posted this in the hair accessories forum but then I realised it might fit better in this one, heh :p my wedding is coming up in 4 months and I really want to have large, defined curls for my hairstyle... I'm thinking vintage style, e.g.:
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/6j5h0udvkvyxfjrkd2xm_vintage-curls.jpg
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/03282pxb74rgcz1uyd59_reese-vintage-curls.jpg

My hair is naturally quite straight (1c here) and about waist length. I've never curled my hair before except years ago using a hair curler when I didn't care about the damage. However, now I'm extremely strict about not using any heat products on my hair or anything that might damage it, as I have very delicate hair which damages quite easily. Of course I also want curls that will last all day.

Do you have any suggestions for the least damaging techniques to get defined curls? Is this even possible? I have no idea where to start :confused:

Thanks so much in advance! :flower:

Fantak
December 15th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I can't see the pictures but I think I know the look you want.

Since it is a one day thing I would suggest heat styling so it doesn't fall to pieces half way through the ceremony, failing that I suggest a hair style that works with your natural hair texture.

To answer your question, steam curlers can curl hair with little to no damage and can give you big volumous curls. They don't work for everyone though, I have 1c/2a fine hair and still haven't found a setting that keeps my hair curled. Maybe you will have better luck or more perseverance :)

Hope that helps! Wish you all the best ^.^

shazzshazshz
December 15th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks so much for the advice Fantak! Do you think I'll need to use hairspray to keep it all together? I barely ever style my hair so not sure about it :shrug:

Hedgewitch
December 15th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Do you think I'll need to use hairspray to keep it all together? I barely ever style my hair so not sure about it :shrug:

Hi, hope this comes out ok, its my first ever post! My hair is poker straight and nearly hip length and very fine, the only thing that will hold a curl for me is linseed setting lotion! Not even heat and hairspray or conventional products work but this does.

I use it in a slightly different way than most aswell as I dont use 'unnatural ' heat to set it.

First to make the lotion

1tbsp linseeds (flax seeds)
1 cup water

Boil them up in a small pan for 15 mins. Strain them into a bowl and save the liquid, it looks and feels like egg whites. Immediatly wash your strainer in red hot water else you wont get the seeds off again! Let the liquid cool, this is your lotion.

Apply the lotion to fresh washed dry hair. Comb it through really thoroughly to make it evenly distributed, the recipe makes alot, you can save whats left in a sealed container in the fridge for about a fortnight. Make sure its not lumpy or gloopy on your hair, better to use too little in a practice run than too much on the day! Let it almost dry naturally then put it in your rollers. I use mostly pin curls but to make the hairstyles in your pics I would use foam rollers and just roll them up to about ear height, I usually use about 15 rollers. Let them dry in the sun if you can or infront of a fire, even just a heated room. When they are absolutly dry take them out and brush them through, you will be able to curl them around your hand with a brush to make big curls or run your fingers through them to make little ones.

I dont need anything other than this if I use this lotion and they last for 2 days! Of couse you can dry them with a dryer to save time but I usually put them in at night, let them dry in the warm then take them out the next day after sleeping on the dry curls.

Hope this works for you!

xx

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I am using sock curls on my hair at the moment and they are fabulous! They hold on me all day without hairspray or product of any sort - they are so easy to do too, as I am quite useless at using hair curlers - wind up with giant tangles!

Hedgewitch
December 15th, 2012, 04:34 AM
forgot one thing! never never use velcro type rollers even if they are big, anything with any sort of spike, big enourmous have to be cut out tangles will ensue!!!!!!!!!

Shield31
December 15th, 2012, 05:17 AM
shazzshazshz, The Caruso steam roller system works well and isn't too costly. I've never seen any damage from the use of the foam rollers or the steam. Good luck in your special day. :D

SerinaDaith
December 15th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Water perms are great for me they do take time to set but all you will need is a large set of bobby pins and damp hair. Take each strand of hair and curl it around itself then run anpin at the scalp at top and bottom. You can set how tight or loose your curls. I will do some hunting for a good YouTube tutorial for you and paste it in shortly. Anyways as long as you are careful with your wet hair you should not be doing any damage at all and ifnyou are super talented you can wear your hair up in the curls the day before and look really quite cute, sleep in them the night before (if you sleep at all) then wake up in the morning and take each curl out one at a time making sure they don't tangle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C8FBCFddXo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

rock007junkie
December 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I would look into the Caruso or if you can afford it the Curlformers....these work beautifully but cost about $70 which might not be worth it if you are just using it the one time.

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I'd try the steam rollers like the caruso ones. The styles you picked are pretty.

cldunzie0215
December 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I HIGHLY suggest looking into using Curlformers! They are AMAZING. Just make sure you leave them in for as long as possible.

spidermom
December 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Rag curls or setting while damp on sponge curlers give the most hold in my experience.

HintOfMint
December 15th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I've had luck with pin curls for large vintage-style curls.

Ambystoma
December 16th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Rag curls or setting while damp on sponge curlers give the most hold in my experience.

I've found rag curls or wet roller sets to be the best too - when I used to use a curling iron they would fall out really quickly even with using a light hold heat protecting product + hairspray, but the heat free ones last a lot longer for me with no product at all, and when done from soaking wet and finished with a mist of hairspray when dry for special occasions they last amazingly well. Rag curls can be a little tricky to get the hang of but a set of medium/large curlers shouldn't cost more than $15 and are really easy to get great results from (you can look up old "roller setting patterns" to get an idea of how different placements and rolling direction will turn out). The trick to avoid tangles is to not attempt to remove them until your hair is 100% dry.

shazzshazshz
December 16th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Wow thanks so much for the advice everyone, I have so many ideas now, I'm going to try some of them out and see how they go!

Will keep you posted x

shazzshazshz
December 16th, 2012, 04:38 AM
My hair is poker straight and nearly hip length and very fine, the only thing that will hold a curl for me is linseed setting lotion!

Wow that's a really interesting idea Hedgewitch, I'll definitely give this one a try and see how it goes... It's great because of the no-heat... I suppose I'll find out soon enough if my hair will agree with it ;)

Cheers :)

Hedgewitch
December 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
really hope it does, it makes your hair really soft and shiny afterwards too!

let us know!

xx

EmmaLouise1990
December 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Have you tried doing the old fashion method of pin curling, no heat necessary. This is how Marilyn Monroe and all the 50's starlet used to do their hair. Depending on how curly you want it to be depends on the size of each pin curl (bigger pin curls larger curls). You can get a tutorial on how to do pin curls on Youtube. If you want it more wavy then curly you just brush them out, don't panic at first if it goes poodle like because with more brushing you can manipulate the hair into the style you want.

spidermom
December 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
My strategy has always been to mess with curled hair as little as possible and don't brush curls. They will relax anyway, so if the set starts out too tight, give it an hour or two.

shazzshazshz
December 21st, 2012, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the tip Spidermom. I'll definitely make sure to mess with them as little as possible, because I'd love to have defined curls rather than waves or frizz!

shazzshazshz
December 21st, 2012, 02:37 AM
Have you tried doing the old fashion method of pin curling, no heat necessary. This is how Marilyn Monroe and all the 50's starlet used to do their hair. Depending on how curly you want it to be depends on the size of each pin curl (bigger pin curls larger curls). You can get a tutorial on how to do pin curls on Youtube. If you want it more wavy then curly you just brush them out, don't panic at first if it goes poodle like because with more brushing you can manipulate the hair into the style you want.

Thanks for the tips Emma Louise! Can you do pin curling on long, thick hair? I don't know if I could fit a pin over a curl of my thick, waist-length hair without it falling out!

practikalmagik
December 21st, 2012, 05:44 AM
I did rag curling for my wedding and I have hip length very thick hair. It stayed in wonderfully (although I made the mistake of letting my mum spritz it with hairspray-not fun to comb out.....). Just make sure your hair is completely detangled first and fuss with them as little as possible. Also I don't know if you are planning to wear a veil, but where my veil sat the curls did get a bit fuzzy. just a heads up.

shazzshazshz
January 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I did rag curling for my wedding and I have hip length very thick hair. It stayed in wonderfully (although I made the mistake of letting my mum spritz it with hairspray-not fun to comb out.....). Just make sure your hair is completely detangled first and fuss with them as little as possible. Also I don't know if you are planning to wear a veil, but where my veil sat the curls did get a bit fuzzy. just a heads up.

Thanks for the tips, practikalmagik! Good to hear from a fellow thick-haired lady xx