PDA

View Full Version : Back to square one

Silken
December 15th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I had successfully grown out most of my layers. My hair had finally reached my waist.
So what did I do? I got "adventurous" with my hair color and went way too dark. It got blue black, which looked horrid with my skin.
So I had to het highlights to bleach out some of the black.
BIG mistake.

My hair became instantly the texture of brillo pads and the color of a cow's tail. I was horrible, lol. Plus it made me look all washed out.
Sooooo... After several touchups of semi permanent color in my usual brown, shampooing only once a week with a sulfate free shampoo and conditioning nonstop, all the time, I finally got my hair to calm down a bit. Luckily, it grows really fast.

The other day, I made the decision to get rid of as much damage as I possibly could and got it cut all the way back up to BSL, with layers and bangs. I will keep coloring because I'm not ready to face the gray yet. But at last, thankfully, it is back to its usual softness and silky feel, and the colorist I went to see did a great job of finding the color formula that would match my non gray roots, so the color is just right for me, again.

Lesson learned: I will NEVER bleach my hair again, lol. Coloring is fine, since I take good care of it and never heat style, but highlights are not an option, for me.
I did wince a bit during the haircut, but I must say, she did a fantastic job and it looks great. Also, I had forgotten how freeing shorter hair can be: shampooing and conditioning now takes less than half the time it used to! It dries twice as fast, too.

Another strange thing is that people have been telling me I look way younger with layers.
So I am back on my growing streak, I guess. It's a work in progress with a few bumps on the road, it turns out! :cool:
I just can't get over how much I love that healthy feeling when I run my hands through my hair. Well worth the haircut.

laceyfairy
December 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Good luck in your growing! I'm glad you like the hair cut. Adventures in hair coloring can be so much fun though, so this is pretty understandable.

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'm glad you like your new hair cut and I'm sorry your adventures in hair coloring didn't go well.

Silken
December 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM
It's a learning process: I have always been amazed by women who can change their haircolor at will, I wanted to try it, but I have learned that my skintone won't allow it, and the bleaching process is like a nuclear explosion, on my hairtype, lol. So I'll keep matching my color to my non gray roots and be happy with that. One day, perhaps I'll get to waist length afterall! :D

spidermom
December 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm glad for your happy ending.