PDA

View Full Version : Help! My layers won't let me style my hair!

JadeTigress
December 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I desperately need help with hairstyles. I don't know what the hair dresser did to me the last time I got a trim, but I can't do anything anymore! I'm about 2.5 inches from BSL, and buns that I used to be able to do at APL, like the lazy wrap, cinnabun, and nautilus, are no longer possible. Even my no-fail that I always used when my hair was too short, twisting it and holding it with a claw clip, isn't working. Collarbone length layers just keep falling out after a few minutes, which makes no sense to me since I was sticking my hair in claw clips before it was shoulder length. On a very good day, I can get a French braid to work, though the layers poke out everywhere, especially in the length of the braid. And even that won't hold for long before it all falls out. Somebody please help!

kaydana
December 14th, 2012, 05:42 PM
How about braided buns? You can use as many braids as you like until you find something that holds.

If in doubt, stab it to death with pins.

neko_kawaii
December 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Double french/dutch braids that go to the bun should keep any layers from getting in your face. Also, small barrettes on the sides could be used to contain whatever falls out so it doesn't end up in your face. There are also lots of styles of headbands and when nothing else works there are always scarves. Good luck!

spidermom
December 14th, 2012, 10:23 PM
This happens periodically even without layers. You lose the buns you could do before and have to do them differently and/or learn new ones. You'll get it figured out; good luck!

dollyfish
December 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
The same thing is happening to me right now!! I'm exactly at BSL and shoulder and chin length pieces fall out like crazy in my "usual" styles that worked so well at APL. I agree with spidermom that it's all about learning how to manage your hair as it changes. I've finally found a modified version of the clawclip twist that works, and I'm slowly getting there with buns. I can still do the cinnabun, but I have to do it a different way, for example. Experiment! See if there's new ways to make it work

joflakes
December 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I'm nowhere near your length but I am at CBL so I feel your pain! Good luck, I hope you figure this out! =)

ravenreed
December 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I passed some magic length past classic and suddenly my standby nautilus won't hold at all for me. Honestly, I am only a few centimeters further along; it makes no sense that such a short amount of hair would make such a huge difference!

white.chocolate
December 18th, 2012, 04:40 AM
I won't be able to help you much with this as one who used to wear my hair down all the time when I had layers and was at your length. Perhaps you should imagine all your length to be around collar bone, or shoulder length, and manage your styles accordingly. You might want to use bobby pins for your shorter layers to hold them in place, or make smaller braids of them so that they're more manageable. For example, when you do a Gibson tuck, you might want to lace-braid each side, wherever needed, and then pin them and place inside the tuck.

In case you aren't aware of this thread, I'm posting the link here. It might be helpful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351

MORE
December 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM
My layers did that to me too. It will be better, I promise. Mine started to behave just this week actually, all of a sudden my braid is thicker and doesn't have so much poking out.

What I did while waiting it out was just to avoid the styles that made me, well, aggravated.:) At last I accepted that I couldn't do English braids, lazy wrap, side braid etc. and - although it sucked - it didn't take long for me to start enjoy and prefer wearing my "new" styles. I actually totally forgot about them until this week, haha, and now all of a sudden I can wear them..! So that's my recommendation: find something that works and stick to it for a while.

What helped me through that phase was: sectioning when doing buns and French braiding.

EDIT: And with the French braiding, I second doing more than one to make the hair behave - it can be cute with double or maybe one small on top of the head and one small on each side leading to a bun. :)

JadeTigress
December 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Thank you so much for the advice, everyone; I really appreciate it. You guys are awesome! :)

vanillabones
December 20th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I just got a trim and am at the same length maybe a little shorter (APL+) and I trimmed yesterday 1/2" I can still do a cinnabun and a lazy wrap bun but it can feel the difference in before and after the trim. I suggest a half up with a bun on the top and see if you can make a bun that way and secure the bottom hair however you would like or just wear it half down.

jacqueline101
December 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I feel your pain with layers I'm growing out pixie strands of my bangs they get in my face too. You can bobby pin or make a natural stiffening agent like I did to hold them back.