PDA

View Full Version : thread wrap/ hair wrap

tweetylonghair
December 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Well since I want to not bleach anymore and not sure about coloring anymore. I wanted to find something to do with my hair, so I looked this up.. wrapping small bits of hair in thread, and low and behold its easy and my hubby bless his heart said its easy and I have one in.....something different.. sorry no pics I have never figured it out.

jacqueline101
December 14th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I've never hear of it.

LadyCelestina
December 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I think I know what you mean...Do you mean like when a small strand of hair is completely covered in colourful thread,so that you see only the thread?

tweetylonghair
December 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
yes yes.. its interesting and looks neat....just google thread wraps
;)

itdontmatter48
December 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I have had that before, loved it! I used to wear a charm on the end as well. But, it would get damaged at the end near the head. Still, it was sooo much fun.

Sillage
December 14th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Sounds cute, I'll have to look into this :)

MaryMarx
December 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
This was popular when I was little and someone went on a vacation trip to the Mediterranean or something, they would return with those in the hair. I never got one though. :p

Kome
December 14th, 2012, 01:40 PM
ohhhhhh, I love doing these. I haven't done them in awhile though. I should do a Christmas themed one. :D

LadyCelestina
December 16th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Ah yes I remember those were very popular here a few years ago! Everybody who was somehow into nature or fantasy literature or power metal had them in :D But as far as I remember,they are sealed by a lighter,aren't they?Isn't that damaging? I'd try it sometimes,but I'm worried about the damage.

Hairizona
December 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM
You used to be able to get this done at Venice Beach, CA around 1992. I had it done to my hair when it was almost knee length at that time. It was usually done on a small section of hair about the thickness of a little less than a straw just above and in back of the ear. You could wash your hair as normal. It lasted about 4 to 6 weeks. It was fun.

Sillage
December 16th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Someone here has a thread wrap in their avi... it's an updo with a Ficcare and it looks SO good. Wish I could remember who it was because I'd totally steal the look.

ravenreed
December 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM
My friends and I used to do our own in the late 80's. We lived in the same area of beachy California. I LOVED them. However, as they grew out, the hair would dread at the top and I never got mine untangled. I would eventually cut them out.

You used to be able to get this done at Venice Beach, CA around 1992. I had it done to my hair when it was almost knee length at that time. It was usually done on a small section of hair about the thickness of a little less than a straw just above and in back of the ear. You could wash your hair as normal. It lasted about 4 to 6 weeks. It was fun.

metricfuture
December 17th, 2012, 05:38 AM
My friends and I used to do our own in the late 80's. We lived in the same area of beachy California. I LOVED them. However, as they grew out, the hair would dread at the top and I never got mine untangled. I would eventually cut them out.

Yup, we did our own back in the early 90's (took awhile to migrate to the midwest, I suppose) and we always had to cut them out. They seemed to get MUCH less flexible after they'd gotten wet a few times, too. I think you could get around both problems by not leaving them in long, but they were pretty time-consuming to put in, so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

spidermom
December 17th, 2012, 08:31 AM
A friend had one years ago. It grew down to hip length while most of her hair terminates around BSL. I think it's because the shed hairs were trapped in with the new growth. She would have someone renew the wrap near the scalp every few months.

Hairizona
December 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Gee, I must have been lucky; I never had to have them cut out.

Yup, we did our own back in the early 90's (took awhile to migrate to the midwest, I suppose) and we always had to cut them out. They seemed to get MUCH less flexible after they'd gotten wet a few times, too. I think you could get around both problems by not leaving them in long, but they were pretty time-consuming to put in, so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Morgan
December 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Ooh, I wanted to have one this past summer but I didn't know what they are called so I couldn't google for more information. Now I know, so thanks tweetylonghair for starting the topic! I'm a bit concerned about having to cut it out though... Would it be any help to put some oil in the hair before wrapping the thread or is it going to dread anyway?

shutterpillar
December 17th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I forgot about those! I got one when my family took a trip to florida when I was eight. it was pink, purple, and teal and lasted for a long time (or what seemed to be a long time to my eight year old self, I suppose.) I remember my mom just cutting it out.

If I knew how to properly remove them then I would definitely consider one. I have tons of colorful threads.... what type of thread do you use for them? Does anyone know? And what is the safest way to remove them?

tweetylonghair
December 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
You can use,, embroidery thread... I used cotton yarn, and I had it in for about a wk and 2 washings. i just slowly slid mine off/out... Im sure maybe a little oil wouldnt hurt. However I didnt do anything special just simple braid then hubby did wrapping for me.

SerinaDaith
December 17th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I may do one of these as a growth tracker. I love them and have had several over the years.

melusine963
December 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I remember these from some fifteen years ago. I never had it done myself, but I admired the technique in other people's hair. :)

tweetylonghair
December 17th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I may do one of these as a growth tracker. I love them and have had several over the years.

That is what I was thinking when I saw these... I had forgot to mention it.

ravenreed
December 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I don't think there is a 'proper' way to remove them. We braided our hair first, then wrapped the braid. When my friend sliced hers open, it was so matted above the braid that she couldn't get the knots out anyway and cut it off. However, at least one person here at LHC has removed dreads, so I suppose it's possible for the very patient.

I forgot about those! I got one when my family took a trip to florida when I was eight. it was pink, purple, and teal and lasted for a long time (or what seemed to be a long time to my eight year old self, I suppose.) I remember my mom just cutting it out.

If I knew how to properly remove them then I would definitely consider one. I have tons of colorful threads.... what type of thread do you use for them? Does anyone know? And what is the safest way to remove them?

skeletonous
August 13th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I love the look of these :) though I'm scared that they'll cause damage somehow, I don't think I've ever gotten one.

hippie girl
August 13th, 2014, 02:17 PM
People used to do these for each other on the lot on grateful dead tour many years ago. I never got them because I was told they often cause damage.
I think that the hair nearest the scalp often breaks off, depending on how carefully you handle them. I didn't want to end up missing a whole strand of hair, especially since my hair is so fine and breaks easily.
I think they are cute though, and would have had them done (or done them to myself) if my hair wasn't so fine.

PrincessBob
August 13th, 2014, 02:26 PM
In my youth it was quite popular, usually with a bead or dangling charm secured at the bottom. At the Saturday market in the summer, the henna booth would also put in hair wraps.