PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with problematic scalp

eicamawa
December 14th, 2012, 02:30 AM
My scalp has been acting very badly in the last months. It's very tender on the top and I can't have any updoes that pulls, which involves all updoes that involves a ponytail or a stick (where all my hairs weight is resting on one place, and pulling on the scalp). It leaves me to not being able to use some of my favourite styles. I've also gotten a lot of flakes in my hair, but I have no idea if it's because og dryness or dandruff. I've tried bying dandruff shampoo from a hairdresser, but my scalp is so sensitive that it only gets worse, and it's hurts even worse. but not I've tried a shampoo for very sensitive scalp from the drugstore and it doesn't help. I also have problems with very dry skin in my face in the winter if that helps. Oh, and I've tried CO washing, and my hair hates it as it tends to get greasy very fast (after 2 days or something). I've tried streching my washes so I only washed my hair once a weak, but the greasyness came at the same time anyway, so now I wash about 1-2 times a weak. the flaskes seams to get worse if my hair is greasy too.... I have no idea what I can do or what this is...

DinaAG
December 14th, 2012, 03:59 AM
have you tried oiling your scalp so that if its dryness it would go away? also use sls free shampoo these days at least and do what will hair tells you is better for it skip the updos now if it irritates it and focus on moisturizing the scalp

eicamawa
December 14th, 2012, 04:16 AM
any special types of oil I should use/not use?

Kelikea
December 14th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I've had problems very similar to yours. It takes a bit of trial and error to find what will work for you. I like diluted suave coconut dandruff conditioner. I put it in an applicator bottle with some water, enough to make it easy to squeeze all over you scalp, but not so watery it guts runs everywhere. Totally wet down your hair. Rub it into scalp gently, then apply it all over your hair, working it in evenly, twist up in a bun and leave while you finish other shower duties, or put on a shower cap and leave for an hour or so. Then take it down and rinse it out, following with a diluted vinegar rinse. When my roots get too greasy, I will use a gentle shampoo before doing this routine. I do this 2-3x/week.

eicamawa
December 14th, 2012, 06:24 AM
that sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure if we have that conditioner here, but I'll try finding something similar :)

rock007junkie
December 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM
In my experience dandruff shampoos always agravate the issue. I've found that oiling my scalp has really tackled the problem. The oil that has helped the most is mustard oil. I use it twice a week as a pre-wash treatment. Also any other ayurvedic oil helps. As soon as I started using these the problem is almost non-existent.

KittyBird
December 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I have issues with flakies too, and oiling with a mixture of coconut, castor and tea tree oil has helped my scalp a lot in the past. Only using coconut oil is also helpful, you don't need to spend lots of money on essential oils. ACV rinses can also help for dandruff and itchiness, and I rinse my hair with diluted ACV after every wash. I have found that shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley, particularly Ayurvedic Herb, helps too. I have hardly any flakies and itchiness now, I only get problems if I let it go more than 4-5 days between each wash.

jacqueline101
December 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Monistat helped my dandruff I had it in my fringe only. You could try it.

eicamawa
December 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Thank you for all of your advices. I will try tonight an see if it gets any better :)

chenille
December 14th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I agree that you might have to experiment to see what works for you. I had dry skin on my face as well as flakes on my scalp, and I fixed both by giving up all products containing SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate). Even some "sensitive" products still contain it...I just read labels to make sure I knew what I was buying. My hair is very fine and straight so it gets oily quickly, so I wash it every day with SLS-free shampoo.

DinaAG
December 14th, 2012, 03:31 PM
evoo and coconut oil dear, give your self a scalp massage with them