PDA

View Full Version : What Aloe Vera brand do you use?

~honeyflower~
December 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Hello, I've heard a lot of good things about aloe Vera for hair. But I'm not sure if the kind I have is any good. I have western family and solarcaine aloe Vera gels made for sunburns. Would they be ok for mister sprays and such?

Lindseyh
December 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Oddly enough I got my first bottle of aloe vera today. I got a 1 oz bottle of aloe vera oil (the Jason brand) for about $10 at a local health food store. I used it tonight so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Will be following this for more info...

neko_kawaii
December 13th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I recall hearing folks recommend the AVG Trader Joes carries (which is what I use simply because I shop there), but if you have one in your area be warned that AVG is a seasonal item for them. They were out when I ran out and that is what the manager told me, I was able to find some in a different store however. I think I've heard that a brand that Walmart carries is supposed to be good. I know I have read discussions of AVG and additives but I'm drawing a blank on an efficient way of searching for it.

renia22
December 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Aubrey Organics is the one I use. It comes in a 4 ounce bottle and the ingredients are just aloe and vitamins C & E as a preservative, so it's liquid-y. It needs to be stored it in the fridge after opening.

MagicAndMayhem
December 13th, 2012, 09:42 PM
You don't want to use the "colored" aloe veras that containe lidocaine, the stuff use to numb burns...this is bad for your hair. I have been using Fruit of the Earth, but it has DMDM Hydanton in it, so I'm looking for something else currently.

Natalia
December 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Usually the ones for sunburn have benzocaine to numb you which you dont want in your mister. Its not good to be spraying that on you even diluted regularly. I use trader joes because its convienient and big. i have to drive 20 minutes to get any other kind that doesnt cost a fortune.

Kaelee
December 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Most of the stuff sold at drugstores for sunburn is NOT aloe (or at least, MOSTLY not aloe). It's mostly water and glycerin and something to make it gel...one even had NONOXYNOL-9 in it!!! (that's right...spermicide!!!) I don't think it'd do anything for your hair and it's not very good for sunburn either.

I use Lily of the Desert brand on my face (have never tried it on my hair.) It's actual aloe, with a couple of preservatives and other ingredients. It does good for my skin, I imagine it would for hair also. :)

The brand doesn't matter so much as you read the ingredients and make sure it's actual aloe and not some weird mix that sorta resembles aloe and has a tiny bit of aloe in it somewhere. I'd check the local natural food store.

~honeyflower~
December 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Thank you all, for the warnings I wasn't sure and now I'm glad that I asked first. I think my mom and I are planning to make a garden this summer so I'll grab some Aloe vera plants when summer comes around.

neko_kawaii
December 14th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Be warned aloe vera can be invasive and hard to get rid of! But otherwise is a very pretty and useful plant to have around.

~honeyflower~
December 14th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Be warned aloe vera can be invasive and hard to get rid of! But otherwise is a very pretty and useful plant to have around.

Note to self: aloe Vera plants are invasive and hardy.

Ok! Thanks a lot! :)

WaitingSoLong
December 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I use Fruit of the Earth because it is all I can find around here that I can afford. My local HFS has some organic but GEEZ is it expensive. I have been using it on my hair for some time and it works well. I dilute it in a spritz bottle and "set" my braids with it. I also use it on my skin mostly for keratosis pilaris and eczema, acne, etc. It's great as an after shave, too.

Sillage
December 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
=read the ingredients and make sure it's actual aloe and not some weird mix that sorta resembles aloe and has a tiny bit of aloe in it somewhere

Best advice :)

Jason makes a 98% aloe vera gel that does not require refrigeration.