PDA

View Full Version : Wedding guest hairstyle. Could you hellp me choose?

Narya
December 13th, 2012, 01:25 PM
This Saturday I've been invited to a wedding. I do not know the bride nor the groom, I'm just there because BF's family know them and there's some "I owe you" thing. Long story short: I've never seen them, they've never seen me, but I have to go and look nice. I will wear grey pants and vest and a purple satin shirt (similar to this (http://www.imujer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/chaleco-para-trajes.png) and this (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSSpf9nIUn_F0u3CQsV8woO_UiEG3i6 iLXcwyVXVKLx07BAs_fuDor8M_L)). But I don't know what should I do with my hair.

My hair is 2c-3a/F/ii, classic when stretched. No bangs or fringe. I had been thinking of doing something with accent braid but everything I try fails completely, so I've decided to so a "simple" bun (rose bun, cinnamom, hairagami, sockbun) with some pins for decoration. Maybe, if I am having a good styling day, a gibson tuck.
The thing is I do not have decorative pins of any kind, so I've made myself ones. What do you think looks better (please ignore the strings still attached):

Fewer and small?:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=889&d=1355428949
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=888&d=1355428945

More and a tad bigger? one in the center of the bun?:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=887&d=1355428941
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=886&d=1355428938

Any other combination (I have 5 each small and "big")? I added the black center knot just to one, to see how I liked it, but can do it to all of them or take it out easily.

And, the most important question: does this look too much like a bride hairstyle?? I sure do not want it to look like that! The flowers are crochet, not satin or stones or pearls, if that helps.

As soon as I can put the baby to bed I'll take some more (and hopefully better) photos of the pins alone. If you need a certain photo to help me, ask! And do not hesitate to tell me it is not working, if it isn't.

jacqueline101
December 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Looks great wear it.

kaydana
December 13th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Do you have any other colours you could make them out of? It's pretty (I really like the five over the top of the bun), but I think white makes it look a bit bride-y.

Bunnysaur
December 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I agree, if they were different colors, it would be great. With the white, it looks a bit like you're trying to upstage a bride you've never met! :p

Narya
December 13th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I have some pearly grey baby yarn that I could use and they wouldn't be much bigger... I have black, red and green too (and a bright multicoloured yarn too), but that would match even less.

I wish I had a purple matching my shirt! I'll go out tomorrow to see if I can find some.

embee
December 13th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Purple embroidery floss might do the job. And it is cheap. I like the row of flowers over the top of the bun. Not too sure about the one lone flower below. (Agreed, the white is not quite right, especially for the season and the occasion.)

Sillage
December 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I like the row of 5 flowers, but I don't like the one stuck on the center of the bun. Personally, I wouldn't wear them to a wedding because they are white. Like BunnySaur (long time no see! :) ) said, people might think you are trying to upstage the bride.

HintOfMint
December 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I would nix the white, since they do come off as "bride-y." I had to re-read your post because when I from the picture, and from the title, I assumed you were the bride.

And since you asked if it was working, I'll be honest... they don't look quite... right. The pins themselves I mean. They would be really pretty sewn onto a shirt, skirt, or scarf, but I don't like the knitted material in hair. It's just not clicking for me. There are plenty of cute flower hair pins on etsy that are really affordable, or you can go to Michael's and pick up some fake flowers to glue onto a bobby pin. This is just one opinion out of many, if you like it, go for it. I'm only saying my opinion since you asked (the last sentence of your post).

Narya
December 14th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Ok, so off the white goes. If I can't find a more suitable color, the plain bun alone will have to do. Thank you all.

embee, you are right, purple embroidery floss would work. I'll see if I can find it when I get out of home in a while.

HintOfMint, oops! I tried to make it clear I wasn't the bride in the title too, but you are right, it can be confusing. About knitted material on hair, thank you for your honest opinion: I am not a good fashion judge. I have nowhere to buy decorative pins now, as the wedding is tomorrow, and what I can find around here would be even worse (think plastic flowers/butterflies/clearly fake plastic things), so this was the better I could do in a pinch. Truth be said, tough, I'm not so sure about wearing them to a wedding. They do look cute, but not so formal as I'd like...

sparrowswing
December 14th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I think just a rose bun is decorative enough without adding anything. Personally, the flowers seem a little small to me, even if they were in a more suitable color (though a rich purple like that would probably look great). It feels like they're detracting from the beautiful hair and style, rather than accentuating it like they're meant to do.

As far as the accent braid problem, have you tried just 2-strand accents? Even when they go all wonky they still look cute. The fact remains that a rose bun is simultaneously simple, elegant, and beautiful; it doesn't need anything else. But if you want something extra, that might be something to try. Or even just twisting some strands of hair back into the ponytail base before starting the rope braid. For that matter, you might even work some purple ribbon/yarn/strips of fabric into your rope braid.

SerinaDaith
December 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Perhaps some of the green worked into the bun itself? That way you would highlight the detail of the bun without anything sticking out, that and green should work with purple and gray. Then again I am all about fun colors in my hair so keep that in mind...

Narya
December 16th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Thank you everybody (again)!

In the end, I wore a ropebun without any decoration: I couldn't find any purple thread/yarn/floss and many of you said it looked bridal-ey to you with the white flowers, so I didn't want to risk it.
It turned out I didn't need to worry, because there were women with every kind of updo, from hair down, to incredibly intricate updos (way more than the bride's) with huge sparkly decorations and humongous hats. I wish I had taken the camera so you could see some of them. I'll never understand fashion...

ArienEllariel
December 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Humongous hats at a wedding? Yikes..

Narya
December 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Humongous hats at a wedding? Yikes..

Yes >_< You know, the kind of wide brimmed hats like the ones ladies take to Ascot's races, the ones that look more like a big big circle of color with feathers and flowers and things pinned to the hair. I do not understand their existence, but I am thankful I do not have to wear them!

Sillage
December 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Yes >_< You know, the kind of wide brimmed hats like the ones ladies take to Ascot's races, the ones that look more like a big big circle of color with feathers and flowers and things pinned to the hair. I do not understand their existence, but I am thankful I do not have to wear them!

“You can never have too many hats, gloves, and shoes.” --Patsy Stone

http://i.imgur.com/dqVqY.gif

<3 Ab Fab

HintOfMint
December 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thank you everybody (again)!

In the end, I wore a ropebun without any decoration: I couldn't find any purple thread/yarn/floss and many of you said it looked bridal-ey to you with the white flowers, so I didn't want to risk it.
It turned out I didn't need to worry, because there were women with every kind of updo, from hair down, to incredibly intricate updos (way more than the bride's) with huge sparkly decorations and humongous hats. I wish I had taken the camera so you could see some of them. I'll never understand fashion...

That sounds like quite the sight! I really love scenes like that though where everyone is gussied up.

spirals
December 17th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Big hats like that have been a tradition in the southern US for genertions.

Xi
December 18th, 2012, 05:37 PM
A simple rosebun sounds lovely and elegant. :)