PDA

View Full Version : More moisturized hair with blow drying (on cool)?? + found a good routine

catasa
December 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone, I am kind of new here (been lurking and reading for ages but not actually posted before). I have hair that I think is maybe 2b-2c, around BSL, lower end of ii, and perpetually dry (with greasy scalp). Itīs been 3-4 years since I stopped my SLS shampoo + conditioner routine, changing to CO which I used exclusively for about two years. My hair got better with CO, but not good, it was still dry, and now when I have experimented with other things I find that my hair actually doesnīt seem to like conditioner anymore (possibly due to my somewhat hard water, around 7). It feels drier, coarser, more grabby and less shiny with conditioner. (Also, my bacne has been getting better and I get less shiny in the face when not using conditioner).

Anyway, my current routine which has given by far the best results so far, is to shampoo with diluted non-SLS shampoo with a dash of apple vinegar mixed in. I dilute maybe 4-10 times, and since I use my regular shower water I add the vinegar to stop the water hardness from ruining the shampoo acidity. I also find that the vinegar seems to condition a bit. After washing, while my hair is still dripping wet, I put about 6 drops of pure mineral oil through my lengths (and very little on my canopy) and scrunch slightly.

Because of my greasy scalp (and terribly looking "bed head") I wet my hair almost every morning. I find that actually pouring a very diluted shampoo-and-vinegar solution gives better results than just using plain water, so I use some version of the dilution almost every day (even though I realize this is may not be the best for my hair...)

This routine has been giving me better moisturized hair than in a long long time, and is also better in bringing out my waves and some elongated spirals. It is still a little too messy/frizzy to be really nice though... But due to the cold weather here I recently started to blow dry my hair until about half-dry, on cool setting, keeping the dryer at least a decimeter from my hair, blowing from above down along the length too minimize frizz.

And, the strange thing is that when I use the blow dryer, the lenghts actually feels much more moisturized, they are almost bouncy actually, and also looks quite shiny and much less frizzy, much better results than if I let it self-dry completely.

So, my question is, does anyone know why? Is it better for hair to get dry quickly (even though it means blow drying), maybe it is better for the surface of the hair? And, will it damage my hair in the long run to blow-dry cool almost every day?

luxepiggy
December 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hello, and welcome to LHC from a fellow cool-setting blow-dryer (^(oo)^)/"

The short answers to your questions are: yes, there is a reason blow-drying gives you shinier, smoother hair; and no, it will not damage your hair in the long run to blow dry on cool, as long as you are directing the airflow parallel to the hair strands and towards the distal ends at all times.

Do let me know if you want the long, science-y answer (with peer-reviewed research!) and I will be happy to provide an extended explanation (^(oo)^)v

catasa
December 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Hi and thanks luxepiggy! :) Sounds very promising that it will not damage my hair :p I would be very interested in the science-y answer actually, would be very grateful if you can provide it!

Sillage
December 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Luxepiggy, when you say cool, do you mean the cool shot button or the cool heat setting?

BTW, thanks for recommending Alterna products. Just tried the Kendi Bamboo oil mist and it is fantastic!

akilina
December 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Cool is known to help seal the cuticle back down.
Heat opens the cuticle, Cool helps close it. So, it is no surprise that using cool is making your hair feel much better, smoother, and moisturized :]
Something else you might like for your hair is trying to do a cool rinse with water after washing..Not ice cold, just as cold as you can stand. Many people have a problem with it but I have no problem turning it to all cold water on my head only as it does not bother me that much.

verylittlecarro
December 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Oooh, I'd like the science please luxepiggy! I also am intrigued by why the hot setting is supposed to be bad too. Even if hot does open cuticles, so what? Surely a quick blast at the end on cool would close them again? I've always wondered about the rinsing with cold water thing too...what would be the difference between washing with hot and then allowing wet hair to return to ambient room temperature, say 18 degrees Celsius, and rinsing it in 18 degrees Celsius water? Surely they would have the same effect?

I've always wondered about the science behind this!

einna
December 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I would also like the long science based answer ;)

goldloli
December 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Oooh, I'd like the science please luxepiggy! I also am intrigued by why the hot setting is supposed to be bad too. Even if hot does open cuticles, so what? Surely a quick blast at the end on cool would close them again?
no, it doesnt work like that. more moisture escapes the cortex when used on high heat, compared to cool (setting) where only a tiny percentage of the moisture is lost.
also using low heat prevents bubbling, where the hair boils inside the strand causing it to 'fracture' and eventually break/split.

Annibelle
December 13th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Piggy-- you say the air should be blown parallel to the hair shaft. What about with a diffuser for wavy hair, where you sorta let your waves fall into it and then blowdry on cool? :/ Would that be very damaging? (I just got a diffuser today!)

verylittlecarro
December 14th, 2012, 11:14 AM
But but but...to boil water it needs to be heated to 100 degrees Celsius! A hairdryer surely can not do that? I am not trying to be confrontational here, just that I want to be able to sift the myths from the facts.
Does anyone have some science behind the effects of hot air on hair please?

spirals
December 14th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Annibelle, I never noticed damage from using my ceramic diffusor on warm or cool. (My damage is from repeated peroxide.) The only reason I don't use it is that it does cause some frizz. I may try to use it and then run some oil over my hair and see how that works. I might get oily frizz, though.

verylittlecarro
December 14th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Look at what I just found during a quick google search! It's findings are very interesting, perhaps even a little controversial in TLHC terms. It seems to have found that allowing hair to air dry (prolonged wet period) can be more damaging than blow drying at high temperatures - wow.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/

"It is conceivable that a long lasting wet stage is as harmful as a high drying temperature (and may be even more dangerous to the CMC). Further evaluation about contact time with water or wet environment and hair damage is needed.

Although using a hair dryer caused more surface damage than natural drying, the results of this study suggest that using a hair dryer at a distance of 15 cm with continuous motion causes less damage than drying hair naturally."

Any gurus out there with an opinion on the study?

itdontmatter48
December 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I think this is very interesting. I also see it said, air drying was more damaging than blow drying on low or cool, from a distance away. (Looks better too) IMO

Sillage
December 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hmm that's a good point Carro. I know flat irons get over 212F, but I'm not so sure about hair dryers. According to this site http://home.howstuffworks.com/hair-dryer4.htm most hair dryers have a safety cut off switch that prevents the hair dryer from going over 140F.

luxepiggy
December 14th, 2012, 04:18 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/mad-piggy-scientist.gif

Time for science! (^(oo)^)v

"Moisturized Hair"
Before we can properly discuss the effects of heat drying, it's important to understand that the term "moisturized hair" is a misnomer. Contrary to popular belief, moisture increases friction between hair fibers and decreases tensile strength, which leads to an increase in hair frizz and styling difficulties. The sensory characteristics (shine, smoothness, fewer tangles, lack of frizz) attributed by the average consumer to "moisturized hair" are in reality demonstrated by hair that contains less moisture.

Low Heat Drying
The moisture content of hair fluctuates continuously based on the temperature and relative humidity of the surrounding air. Hair that has been heat-dried at 50°C will contain less moisture than air-dried hair, even after being equilibrated at room temperature and moderate humidity. The heat-dried hair still gains and loses some moisture as relative humidity changes, but its water level remains consistently lower than that of air-dried hair.

Remember, lower water content = shinier, smoother hair with reduced frizz and fewer tangles! This is how blow-drying on cool creates that healthy, bouncy look.

The hysteresis between the water level of heat-dried and air-dried hair is completely temporary and reversible at low temperatures (50°C), persisting only until the hair is re-wet during the next wash cycle. More generally, I have yet to find evidence from any reputable sources that heat drying at or below 50°C causes any long-term damage to the hair.

High Heat Drying
Heat drying hair at temperatures greater than 50°C has been demonstrated to result in the formation and propagation of multiple cracks on the hair cuticles. Temperatures between between 75°C and 95°C produced the highest number of cracks in laboratory tests:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/HairCuticleCracksrelativetoblowdryingtemperature_z ps8970e1d8.jpg

Heat drying at temperatures at or above 110°C begins to induce irreversible changes to the internal structures of the hair. As a point of reference, a number of hair dryers on drugstore.com have listed max temperatures of 170°/180°C! ...eep (*(oo)*)

Sources:
Evans, Trefor. Practical Modern Hair Science. Allured, 2012.
"Moisture Breakthrough: It's More Than Just Water." P&G Beauty & Grooming Science, Vol. XVIII.
Crawford, R., and C. R. Robbins. "A Hysteresis in Heat Dried Hair." J. Soc. Cosmet. Chem., 32, 27-36 (January/February 1981).
Gamez-Garcia, M. "The Cracking of Human Hair Cuticles by Cyclical Thermal Stresses." J. Cosmet. Sci., 49, 141-153 (May/June 1998 )

hufflepug
December 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
This is very helpful! Now that my hair is short, I'm planning to blow dry once a week to straighten it. I'll definitely try to keep from using the higher heat settings and see how it goes. I got a flat iron too, but it came free with the blow dryer, so I don't feel too bad about just not using it.

luxepiggy
December 14th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Luxepiggy, when you say cool, do you mean the cool shot button or the cool heat setting?

BTW, thanks for recommending Alterna products. Just tried the Kendi Bamboo oil mist and it is fantastic!

I get mostly dry with the cool setting and finish off at the very end with the cold shot button. Glad you like the Kendi Oil mist! (^(oo)^)v

hafattack
December 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Whoa interesting article carro! Pubmed is definitely reliable, i will have to try this out

Sillage
December 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Great post Luxepiggy! Very interesting about high levels of moisture in hair not being a good thing. Also great to know that blow drying at 122 F is fine. Hopefully the Sedu 4000i I'm getting for Christmas doesn't get too hot! (I can't seem to find any information about temperature range :( )Thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

As a point of reference, a number of hair dryers on drugstore.com have listed max temperatures of 170°/180°C! ...eep (*(oo)*)

http://i.imgur.com/v2hyB.gif

That's CRAZY!

I get mostly dry with the cool setting and finish off at the very end with the cold shot button. Glad you like the Kendi Oil mist! (^(oo)^)v

Great! Good to know I don't have to use the cool shot button the whole time-- gets a little chilly!

Kiwiwi
December 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/v2hyB.gif

That's CRAZY!

BAHAHAHAHAHA ! :rollin:

spidermom
December 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I am so glad to read this. I like my hair better after it has been blow-dried; it's less grabby, smoother, easier to detangle.

einna
December 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks luxepiggy and verylittlecarro. This information is so useful! After two years at the LHC I thought I knew a lot about haircare, so this was an eye opener for me!
I have naturally dry hair and I soak it in moisture... I also air dry, and it takes hours in the winter. Now I have a good reason to blow dry on cool when I feel like it! I will also experiment with my routine (again) and cut down on the moisturizing, this is a really good time for that, since I just had a big trim. :)

Unofficial_Rose
December 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Great!!! Now I don't have to fret about blow-drying my damaged, highlighted hair. Air-dried it just doesn't look great, whatever I put on it.

catasa
December 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Thank's a lot for the science luxepiggy! :) Itīs really interesting to read that more moisture is not necessarily good. Maybe that was one reason my hair didnīt seem to like the CO method after a while... So, one more thing to take into account when trying to diagnose and balance the hair... :rolleyes:

By the way, an article expanding on this subject would be really interesting and a great benefit for many people I think, if you or someone else have the time and the inclination to write it! :)

spidermom
December 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
In the years I've been here, I've come across several examples of where LHC "wisdom" and science clash.

Sillage
December 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
In the years I've been here, I've come across several examples of where LHC "wisdom" and science clash.

LOL... well at least everyone here seems pretty open minded about it tho :)

spidermom
December 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM
LOL... well at least everyone here seems pretty open minded about it tho :)

True, especially lately.

Happytresses
December 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I tried the cool blowdryer and it left my hair really nice. I Liked it a lot. Thanks for the information.

Sillage
December 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
True, especially lately.

Yeah :) I haven't been here as long as you have but I've noticed it has gotten more relaxed/less dogmatic.

starlamelissa
December 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I too think LHC has chilled out alot since I first joined. when I first got here it was all "cones are bad! blowFRYERS are teh evils!!" Now it seems people are trying a more common sense approach. Luv it!

JadeTigress
December 16th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Slightly off topic, but how much of a time difference has anyone noticed with drying on cool vs drying on hot? Part of the reason I air dry is because, even though it takes forever, blowdrying also takes forever for my hair, even using high heat, but I get the added bonus of sore arms from holding up the dryer for so long. I really like the idea of using it on cool, but if it's going to take forever I just can't see myself doing it, because of the sore arms. Any tips for making the blowdrying process go a bit faster?

Sillage
December 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Blow drying on cool takes for ever for me too, and my hair isn't very thick at all. Having it on warm (feels like it's under 122 but I'd have to check to be sure) really makes a big difference.

GabrielleRose
December 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Glad to have stumbled upon this thread, just tried this a few minutes ago and my hair came out really nice. Even my ends that have been feeling dry lately came out feeling nice and oh so smooth. :)

oktobergoud
December 17th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Wow, this is so interesting! I blow-dried my hair for the first time in a year or so.. and even though I used the medium warm setting (so not hot!) it got all messy and full of tangles and frizz :( My hair always does that! I'll try the cool setting next time to see if it makes my hair feel better :D

spidermom
December 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM
oktobergoud, do you make sure to keep the blow-dryer above the hair, blowing down the hair shaft? That's how you avoid tangles and frizz. It really calms my hair down a lot if I do a multi-banded ponytail for about 15 minutes after blow-drying; not too tight so as to avoid dents in the hair.

If you put the dryer about one inch from the skin of your neck and the temp is tolerable, it will be o.k. for your hair. I use warm around the top and halfway down the length, cool at the ends (because they're more fragile). It takes me about an hour and doesn't give me sore arms, but I do weight-lifting to maintain the strength in my arms. Strong arms is a good thing!

dulce
December 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Madora mentioned using a floor fan,so I tried it,it works great!!I put it at an angle near me so my hair blows straight behind me,I am on the computer doing my thing, and my hands are free,it dries in 15-20 minutes and as a bonus much less frizz and curls[my goal]After I get out of the shower,I wrap my hair up in those hair turbans for 5-10 minutes while I brush teeth ,put on makeup etc. then I use the fan,the turban time cuts down drying time.

Fethenwen
December 17th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Holy turd!

This is all very interesting and new to me.
I have a good hair dryer with a cool setting (I never ever use the warm setting), but I use it only when I absolutely need too. I haven't noticed that my hair would have gained much from using it, I have the blow-dryer above my head and all, but it sometimes still feels somewhat dry and I also might in worst case get static hair - especially in winter - which btw is almost the only time of the year I use a blow-dryer if I sometimes need to go outside in the cold and my hair is still wet.
I use Torrin's method, I put some of my hair up with a clip and dry my hair in sections.

But I wonder if there is still something with my technique that could be improved... hmm, perhaps I could try and keep the dryer even further away from the hair.

oktobergoud
December 17th, 2012, 11:34 AM
oktobergoud, do you make sure to keep the blow-dryer above the hair, blowing down the hair shaft? That's how you avoid tangles and frizz. It really calms my hair down a lot if I do a multi-banded ponytail for about 15 minutes after blow-drying; not too tight so as to avoid dents in the hair.

If you put the dryer about one inch from the skin of your neck and the temp is tolerable, it will be o.k. for your hair. I use warm around the top and halfway down the length, cool at the ends (because they're more fragile). It takes me about an hour and doesn't give me sore arms, but I do weight-lifting to maintain the strength in my arms. Strong arms is a good thing!

Ah that's a good one! I think I was hanging upside down haha, that might be the problem ;) Will try it out next time, thanks :D

ravenheather
December 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'm going to give a cool blow dry a shot and see how my hair likes it. I haven't blow dried since I started growing my hair out.

DinaAG
December 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
cant thank you enough for the research!! just blow dried my hair with the cool setting! 3 hours in 5 minutes! yaaaaaay! i used to hate the blow dried because of its harm now :)

DinaAG
December 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
do you put anything on your hair before blow-dry it?

Sillage
December 17th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I do, DianaAG; see my sig :) . The reason I put it in wet hair is because it's easier to spread around evenly and lightly. On dry hair my hair seems to soak up too much product and I can't get it evenly distributed... turns into a sticky mess. Wet, it's so easy to get a light coating of product over my entire head of hair. I do use some products like Alterna Kendi Bamboo oil mist or Ojon recovery oil (both are silicone-y) after I blow dry to give my ends and canopy some extra sleekness.

DinaAG
December 17th, 2012, 02:10 PM
thanks a lot for your answer :) may be i will try EVOO or chi silk infusion before it too

white.chocolate
December 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Don't oils also help retain the moisture in the hair even though you blow-dry (at the cool setting)?

I don't habitually blow-dry my hair - air-dry only. But there are occassions that I have to blow-dry, like during the winter and my head is freezing. In those cases, I can use heat for a brief time, far from my head. And I also always apply oil to my hair when it is wet. ...Am I doing something wrong?

HairFaerie
December 17th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I would love to do this but blowdrying on cool takes forever to get my hair dry. Plus, my house is really cold, so when it's 30 degrees Farenheit outside - I'll stick to the "medium" heat setting. That works perfect for me. Warm enough to dry my hair in a reasonable amount of time but not hot enough to fry the crap out of it.

DinaAG
December 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
white.chocolate i used always to let it air dry then oil it but tried today the cool setting with the blow drier then oiled it and worked fine may be will try pre oiling tomorrow?

Sillage
December 17th, 2012, 05:52 PM
thanks a lot for your answer :) may be i will try EVOO or chi silk infusion before it too

Your welcome :) . Not to go OT but I've always wanted to try Chi Silk Infusion but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Is it very heavy?

Don't oils also help retain the moisture in the hair even though you blow-dry (at the cool setting)?

I worry about this too! I hope that enough blow drying drys my hair completely despite putting my leave in in wet hair...

DinaAG
December 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Sillage no dear its nt at all, i use it in exchange with chi keratin mist but its much better than it more effective yet both are so light

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I think the cool setting would be fine and then I'd use a heat protector just in case but I'm cowardly that way. The hair dryer is probably sealing your cuticle layer of hair making it feel better.

Woods Nymph
December 17th, 2012, 10:13 PM
That's a very interesting article; thanks for that! Tomorrow's wash day, & it's winter here so I think I'm going to give this a shot & see how it turns out. I like the sound of eradicating 4-5 hours of drying in a few minutes!

catasa
December 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I only put pure mineral oil on my hair before blow-drying, I donīt use any other leave-in now that I have stopped using conditioner. I have never used mousse or gel or anything like that, never found any such product that agreed with my hair... So for me, only my non-SLS shampoo-and-vinegar-dilution, and mineral oil on dripping wet hair, then blow-drying. I do try to use Joico K-pak and/or their moisturizing treatment (canīt remember the name) once weekly/every second week since it seems my hair benefits from the protein.

Regarding the time it takes to blow-dry, I only blow dry until my hair is about half dry, that takes approximately 15 minutes. I donīt have the time and patience for more... My "cool" setting is also not exactly "cold", it is slightly warm, but it is the coolest setting of the 3 available. I have a cheap and simple blow dryer so I donīt know how this would correspond to more advanced ones.

Sillage
December 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Sillage no dear its nt at all, i use it in exchange with chi keratin mist but its much better than it more effective yet both are so light

Cool-- I will certainly have to try it out :)

Oksana
December 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
This thread has been very interesting! My hair takes 4-5 hours to air dry in the winter so blow-drying on cool might just be the answer for me if the damage is minimal.

biogirl87
December 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM
It may be a stupid question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to blow-drying. Anyone know if blow-drying on cool is the same as blow-drying on low (or at low speed)? Also, if anyone knows how to make the waves stay in my hair while blow-drying feel free to share as all of the times I've blow-dried in the past my hair has largely turned out to be straight after blow-drying instead of wavy like it is when I let it air dry.

spidermom
December 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
It may be a stupid question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to blow-drying. Anyone know if blow-drying on cool is the same as blow-drying on low (or at low speed)? Also, if anyone knows how to make the waves stay in my hair while blow-drying feel free to share as all of the times I've blow-dried in the past my hair has largely turned out to be straight after blow-drying instead of wavy like it is when I let it air dry.

On much older models of blow-dryers, the speed and the temperature are the same, so a low speed also meant a low temperature. However, on newer models, temperature and speed are two separate controls, so you can have any combination of speed and temperature that you want. I like high speed and low temperature.

Oh, and to keep your waves, you need a diffuser attachment or one of those chambers that whirls your hair into a spiral.

biogirl87
December 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Thank you spidermom

catasa
December 19th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Also, if anyone knows how to make the waves stay in my hair while blow-drying feel free to share as all of the times I've blow-dried in the past my hair has largely turned out to be straight after blow-drying instead of wavy like it is when I let it air dry.

I actually get the same waves/elongated spirals when blow-drying (in the way I explained above) as I do if I air-dry, but the waves are nicer, shinier and less frizzy if blow-dried. My hair is straight when wet but dries into waves/spirals, at least with my current routine (not always, some days it gets straighter and messier, it is still something of a struggle to find consistency in my hairīs behaviour, but with this routine it has at least gotten way more predictable... :) )

I should maybe clarify that I do not do anything with the hair while blow-drying, no combing or brushing or finger-raking, only lifting slightly and carefully at the roots from below to get better air distribution at the scalp.

catasa
December 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Sorry, I missed to say that I do not use a diffuser, that makes my hair frizzy and messy... maybe I havenīt tried it in the right way though.

white.chocolate
December 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I worry about this too! I hope that enough blow drying drys my hair completely despite putting my leave in in wet hair...

white.chocolate i used always to let it air dry then oil it but tried today the cool setting with the blow drier then oiled it and worked fine may be will try pre oiling tomorrow?

I understand what you mean. But I am actually more worried about moisture escaping the hair when blow-drying, so making the application of oil on wet hair not as effective. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I never blow-dry my hair (even with the cool setting) until my hair is completely dry. I always leave it somewhat damp. Otherwise, my hair becomes all static (during winter), and I know that my hair has a very low porosity.

CurlyCurves
December 19th, 2012, 09:27 AM
My hair is dryer and less shiny if I blowdry, though ...

patienceneeded
December 19th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the info! I will be using my blow-drier again! I'm tired of being wet-headed all winter long. I will be eyeing this thread more in the future.

turtlelover
January 9th, 2013, 03:37 PM
My blowdryer's lowest setting is FAR from cool. I keep it well away from my head when I use it (which isn't often anymore), but I'd love to have a dryer that actually WOULD blow cool air if I am in the mood to blowdry. Any recommendatios?

patienceneeded
January 9th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I bought mine at Fred Meyer for about $30 two years ago, it even came with a diffuser attachment. It is made by Remington. There are 3 heat settings, plus a cool-shot button, and two speeds to choose from. The lowest heat setting is very cold, the medium setting is warm (gets uncomfortable after a while if not moving the drier around) and the highest heat setting is very hot. I've been quite happy with it.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 7th, 2014, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=luxepiggy;2349192]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/mad-piggy-scientist.gif

"Moisturized Hair"
Before we can properly discuss the effects of heat drying, it's important to understand that the term "moisturized hair" is a misnomer. Contrary to popular belief, moisture increases friction between hair fibers and decreases tensile strength, which leads to an increase in hair frizz and styling difficulties. The sensory characteristics (shine, smoothness, fewer tangles, lack of frizz) attributed by the average consumer to "moisturized hair" are in reality demonstrated by hair that contains less moisture.

Okay, question LuxePiggy! This seemed shocking to me! (Not untrue, just shocking!) So if my hair is tangly and frizzy and not very smooth...does it have too much moisture? Ack...I didn't know there was such a thing...I definitely associate this feeling with too dry, especially since where I live is soooo dry!

jonnaps
February 13th, 2014, 03:08 AM
My hair is also shinier if I blowdry it. I do use hot setting when I start to blowdry, as it takes too long if it's cold. When I blow with hot, I keep it moving and far. I also use heat protecting leave ins.

I use low heat and cold to finish and I usually do not fully dry my hair.

My new blowdryer is ionic.

Fethenwen
February 13th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Awesome thread, and yes. This is something I have also noticed. I miss my blowdrier, I have not had the opportunity to use one while abroad. I have gone to bed with hair that is not completely dry, and my hair really hates that. Frizz disaster to say the least.

Edit: ok, completely dry is perhaps not the right way to say it. Rather, hair that is still too moist.

RachelRose
December 25th, 2014, 07:17 PM
All this info is making it so hard to not blowdry lol my layers flick out every which way when left to air dry

divinedobbie
December 25th, 2014, 10:42 PM
This thread has made me happy! I haven't been 20 ft within a blowdryer for a few years since I got so paranoid about all the damage articles surrounding blowdryers and heat. I'm glad to know it's not as bad as all the hype says (at least on a cool setting). I used to use one every day or two when I washed my hair and it was very healthy and long. Then I started bleaching and dyeing and using straighteners and ruined it and got paranoid. I've grown out all the damage and I've been itching to start blowdrying my hair again. I should have asked for a blowdryer for Christmas since I gave mine away years ago ;p.

LauraLongLocks
December 25th, 2014, 11:58 PM
In winter I use a blowdryer every time, on cool or warm (which never gets hot enough to burn my skin). I love how tangle-free and smooth it is afterwards. In summer I use a fan or go outside in the sunshine and breeze. I can get my hair dry in about 15 minutes. I do a half-up, and dry the hair that is still down, then let half of my half-up down and dry it, then let the canopy down and dry it. The whole process is done in about 15 minutes and I can put my hair up. I always blow dry with the dryer at the top of my head, pointing down the length towards the ends so I never get tangles while drying.

lapushka
December 26th, 2014, 08:30 AM
My hair's in a turbie towel for 15 to 20 min. after washing. That takes most of the wetness out. Then it is damp-combed with a wide tooth comb, and then the LOC method for styling goes into it. From then on it's air drying for an hour approximately. After that comes the diffuser. Hair is divided into 4 sections (top, back, two sides), and the sections get a minute of warm air each. After that the roots are pretty much dry and so is half the hair. Only the tippy tips aren't but I leave that. My scalp needs to be dry in a certain amount of time due to SD.

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 09:33 AM
This thread has made me happy! I haven't been 20 ft within a blowdryer for a few years since I got so paranoid about all the damage articles surrounding blowdryers and heat. I'm glad to know it's not as bad as all the hype says (at least on a cool setting). I used to use one every day or two when I washed my hair and it was very healthy and long. Then I started bleaching and dyeing and using straighteners and ruined it and got paranoid. I've grown out all the damage and I've been itching to start blowdrying my hair again. I should have asked for a blowdryer for Christmas since I gave mine away years ago ;p.

To make you even happier, check out this study, published in the Annals of Dermatology, November, 2011: Hair Shaft Damage from Heat and Drying Time of Hair Dryer, Lee et al. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22148012. They do need to keep digging to explain the findings better, but it does seem to show that long-term exposure to water can damage the Cell-Membrane-Complex inside hair, while high-heat and even low-heat blow-drying creates cracks in the cuticle (nothing new there). A bit of catch-22 and bad news for both wet-bunners and high-heat-users.

So to get the best of both worlds... just use a fan or diffuser on cool setting. :)

I'm way too lazy for blow-drying, can't stand the sound of it and don't like the feeling of dry wind it creates... So I just use Madora's fanning technique to speed up hair drying, presented here by LauraLongLocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgB6WhMl4Y

LauraLongLocks
December 26th, 2014, 10:40 AM
To make you even happier, check out this study, published in the Annals of Dermatology, November, 2011: Hair Shaft Damage from Heat and Drying Time of Hair Dryer, Lee et al. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22148012. They do need to keep digging to explain the findings better, but it does seem to show that long-term exposure to water can damage the Cell-Membrane-Complex inside hair, while high-heat and even low-heat blow-drying creates cracks in the cuticle (nothing new there). A bit of catch-22 and bad news for both wet-bunners and high-heat-users.

So to get the best of both worlds... just use a fan or diffuser on cool setting. :)

I'm way too lazy for blow-drying, can't stand the sound of it and don't like the feeling of dry wind it creates... So I just use Madora's fanning technique to speed up hair drying, presented here by LauraLongLocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgB6WhMl4Y

I need to update that video. I'm still doing the fanning technique, but I have started sectioning my hair to get it dry faster. It works even better than what I did in the video. Thanks for sharing!

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Sounds awesome! :D I definitely look forward to all your videos, LauraLongLocks!

spidermom
December 26th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I think my hair suffers less damage over time when I use the blowdryer on warm because it smooths out the hairs and make them less grabby. With air drying, I've got all kinds of textures warring with each other and tangling up.

MINAKO
December 26th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I think my hair suffers less damage over time when I use the blowdryer on warm because it smooths out the hairs and make them less grabby. With air drying, I've got all kinds of textures warring with each other and tangling up.

this is the point im alway trying to make about me straightening my hair. the heat is NOTHING compared to the damage i would get from tangles otherwise.

divinedobbie
December 26th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I was thinking of starting a thread in the conventional product section but figured I'd ask here first, does anyone have recommendations for a hair dryer that is truly cool? I've tried two different ones my mom owns and even on their lowest heat setting, they are quite warm. I've been thinking about the Revlon 1875W Tourmaline Ionic (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000FS05VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB) because it has such great reviews all over the internet but I haven't heard much about how cool/hot it gets.

LauraLongLocks
December 26th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I was thinking of starting a thread in the conventional product section but figured I'd ask here first, does anyone have recommendations for a hair dryer that is truly cool? I've tried two different ones my mom owns and even on their lowest heat setting, they are quite warm. I've been thinking about the Revlon 1875W Tourmaline Ionic (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000FS05VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB) because it has such great reviews all over the internet but I haven't heard much about how cool/hot it gets.

Mine is a Remington Pro Air 1875 and it truly blows cool.

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 05:06 PM
i have no idea on this, but i'm not using a blow dryer because i'm too lazy and i like airdrying ;)

divinedobbie
December 26th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Mine is a Remington Pro Air 1875 and it truly blows cool.

Thank you :flower: I'll look into this one :).

yahirwaO.o
July 5th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Ok so once again this thread got some really strong points and helped me out a lot.

In the past I lived in a place where strong sun did the job just great and then I let the rest air dry in twin braids once a week. This worked great for so many years and a part of me used to believed blow dryers were the evil so I avoided them.

My busy life and the fact that I wash my hair more often now (and down 90% of time), just makes the whole air drying process just so annoying and I cant stand do it on super humid and rainny weather or puttin it up wet anymore ( I believe this is worse in my case).

I use a combination of paper towels and blow drying on warm (when I have more time set on fully cool) and my hair comes out silky and nice without waiting years to dry. At first it was frizzy halo mess, but poiting downwards and above the head, keep everything nice and smooth as some mentioned previously.

So yeah now I dont want moisture in my hair thanks to luxepiggy science and meteors articles!!!! :silly:

zanelle
March 31st, 2018, 10:27 AM
I watched this video yesterday and was intrigued by the fact they said letting water in the hair for longer time, like when you air dry, depletes hair of keratin.
I discovered this thread and I think I am going to give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSA0fWSeaG0

Reyesuela
March 31st, 2018, 05:15 PM
They’re full of it.

Hair that absorbs too much water for a long time gets damaged, but that doesn’t directly “deplete keratin”. Hair really isn’t meant to absorb much water.

zanelle
April 1st, 2018, 07:32 AM
Tried it yesterday evening! Wow, what a difference!
Really looking to buy a very good hair dryer that has a low heat setting. I tried with one that has a somewhat low setting, not as much as I would like. I kept it at a quite big distance, the biggest I could.
So first I patted my hair in a microfiber towel, than dryed it on the lowest setting I could, till it was about 90% dry.
Oiled the ends a bit using avocado oil.
Kept it in a simple, relaxed braid overnight.
This is how my hair looked in the morning sun ( very shiny!)
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/Snakecharmer7/WhatsApp%20Image%202018-04-01%20at%2016.10.19.jpeg

lapushka
April 1st, 2018, 09:25 AM
That's very pretty, zanelle.

I toweldry my hair, usually for about half an hour. Then I airdry for 2-4H Then I diffuse-dry for 5 min. and then my hair is dry (at the roots, and about 90% on the lengths).

And it's so much easier than sitting around an entire day waiting for your hair to dry (it takes more than 8H here).

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 12:47 AM
Thank you!
Well, seems like the way to go.
In an ideal scenario I would totally buy this dryer, but it's so expensive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrjqZcdolE&t=607s

Reyesuela
April 2nd, 2018, 02:12 AM
If you’re drying on cool/room temp, any dryer works.

The PERFECT TEMPERATURE would probably be right at 100F. No dryer does that that I can find. As my thicker hair is driving me nuts with how long it takes to dry, I tried to scour shops for a 100F blow dryer. If anyone finds one, let me know! I think they don’t exist. :((((

Reyesuela
April 2nd, 2018, 02:13 AM
Thank you!
Well, seems like the way to go.
In an ideal scenario I would totally buy this dryer, but it's so expensive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrjqZcdolE&t=607s

The low heat setting on this one is way too high. 115F is enough to cause permanent damage. If it feels warm, it’s probably way too warm. :(

lapushka
April 2nd, 2018, 05:37 AM
Blow drying is not difficult. You can use *any* dryer. Lower wattage = probably better.

The key is and what we always say here is; if you can hold your hand or a more sensitive part of you in the airstream for a long time (some dryers heat up) and do so without it burning, then you're fine. You'll have to gauge by that. As you can't measure the temperature on a dryer that easily. ;)

Also look for a cool shot button, and separate speed & heat settings. Then you should be fine!

Reyesuela
April 2nd, 2018, 06:41 AM
Blow drying is not difficult. You can use *any* dryer. Lower wattage = probably better.

The key is and what we always say here is; if you can hold your hand or a more sensitive part of you in the airstream for a long time (some dryers heat up) and do so without it burning, then you're fine. You'll have to gauge by that. As you can't measure the temperature on a dryer that easily. ;)

Also look for a cool shot button, and separate speed & heat settings. Then you should be fine!

Unfortunately, the research paper that the above video is attempting badly to reference found pretty substantial damage at 115F by 10 drying periods. That is cooler than any warm setting I’ve ever found on any blow dryer. And it would feel only slightly warm to use using it.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2018, 07:34 AM
Unfortunately, the research paper that the above video is attempting badly to reference found pretty substantial damage at 115F by 10 drying periods. That is cooler than any warm setting I’ve ever found on any blow dryer. And it would feel only slightly warm to use using it.

I have always lived by that "mantra", and my dryer/diffuser is always on warm to cool. I have not seen any damage from it yet. No white dots, no splits. But that's me.

nycelle
April 2nd, 2018, 08:15 AM
Disclaimer: I think Dyson makes some of the best products. I have two of their stick vacuums that pick up more dog hair and dust than any canister vacuum I've ever used, their engine power is awesome.

The engine in the Dyson hairdryer is built on the same technology - small, and very powerful. But, I personally don't think anyone's hair needs that much power to dry. However, the great thing about this dryer is the design. As someone who used to blow dry all the time, four things were very important to me.
1. Weight- the lighter the better. Your hand does start to ache after a few minutes if the dryer's too heavy.
2. Design- how comfortable is to hold? Too big, or wide and again, it's very uncomfortable.
3. Temperature settings- Hot, warm, cold. Cold shot is nice but not a must. The cold really needs to be cool, not lukewarm.
4. Power- You want to blow dry quick so it needs enough power to do this. The longer you dry, the more damage you're gonna do. But at some point, ridiculously high wattage is just wasted.

Unfortunately, you generally don't get all all 4 with most dryers. But is the price worth it? Only if you'll be using it on a regular basis. If I were still blow drying, 2-3 times a week, I would definitely consider it.

Reyesuela
April 2nd, 2018, 08:19 AM
I have always lived by that "mantra", and my dryer/diffuser is always on warm to cool. I have not seen any damage from it yet. No white dots, no splits. But that's me.

The study looked for microscopic damage, not for dots and splits. The microscopic raising of
The cuticles allows for more protein loss over time. Everything is cumulative. Everyone damaged their hair. You have to decide what your personal thresholds are based on your hair’s tolerance for abuse and your own lifestyle/preferences. Running 5 miles I’m sure causes friction damage on my hair, but I’m not going to stop. :)

I think Dyson makes some of the most over-hyped, over-priced terrible products. If your boss promises not to cut your salary and pays you $50k all the time, that’s not nearly as good as a boss who pays you $100k when things are good and down to $70k when they’re terrible, but Dyson actually brags about this performance. Boggled my mind.

spitfire511
April 2nd, 2018, 08:34 AM
Okay - so I tried this for the first time today.

I skipped blowdrying FOREVER from the general info we had here WAY back when. Then I started drying occasionally for meetings or etc. on medium heat. I also found that putting mine up wet was no good for my scalp.

I was perfectly prepared to write you guys today and say this doesn't work for me.

While it didn't take significantly longer on cool than medium heat (and I did do a cool rinse before hopping out of the shower), when I first finished, it was FRIZZY. Like BIG TIME.

I dried it to probably 90% - with scalp completely dry. And with air going down the hair shaft as much as possible.

It does feel amazing, and has settled down a lot since the remainder of the length has dried. I tend to use my hands to gently 'twirl' mine on each side then disturb it as little as possible while it finishes drying.

I did put some Argan oil (combo - it does have some cones) on it after I was done drying.

I'll definitely try this again and keep working with it to see if I can decrease the frizz - any suggestions are quite welcome!

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 09:17 AM
Hmmm, what would I do without you girls? You just saved me 299 GBP :knit:
Champagne for everyone!
Oh well, let's see the alternatives:
Dyson's lowest "warmish" temp is 140 F
The dryer I have is definitely warmer than that. I am still searching for a dryer that can do 100 F , like Reyesuela said.
Lapushka said it's ok and she does this for years.
How about we use some room fan that can do 100? Can we find that? Gonna google it.
Read some other girls thougths on this and they say the lowest setting is ok if you keep a big distance.
I think the study you talk about here is this one, no? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/
I feel air drying only is not the path :rolleyes:

lapushka
April 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
I'll definitely try this again and keep working with it to see if I can decrease the frizz - any suggestions are quite welcome!

Did you diffuse your 2b/c hair or regularly blow dry? I diffuse dry and it beats it all for this type of hair. But you have to be willing to wear your hair wavy.

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 09:28 AM
I agree with Lapushka, diffusing is for wurlies, definitely nice hair.
Girls, you are going to lough, but we need to hit the tools department: heat guns is our answer!
Check this out, especially this phrase:
"Most heat guns have a minimum temperature of around 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius), although a few start even lower at 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius). "
https://home.howstuffworks.com/heat-gun.htm
Call me crazy, but I am trying this for sure :eye:
Found one at 29 GBP, lol
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WXDQ74/ref=psdc_1939408031_t1_B0058GIATY
I need to find a way to attach a diffuser to it, lol, I have an idea...

spitfire511
April 2nd, 2018, 09:50 AM
I don't have a diffuser anymore - I need to get one! I do frequently wear it wurly - just usually air dry with some extra leave-in. Maybe that's the key. I do have to say that even though it's a bitt frizzier - it feels amazing.

Does diffusing help you for 2nd day hair? My wurls go FLAT on day 2 with air drying - and I don't like to wash sooner than every other - usually more like every 3rd to 4th.

The heat gun thing is hilarious!!! We have these for work - maybe I'll swipe on - just don't let it touch your hair -eep!! :)

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 09:59 AM
@spitfire, yeah but I keep it up most of the time anyway, so no problem :)
I am sure a heat gun is heavier , but I need to exercise my arms more anyway so win win :)

Reyesuela
April 2nd, 2018, 10:53 AM
A heat gun reaches temps that can blister your skin—and starts above ideal temps for hair. Extreme drying, below that found in natural humidity levels, isn’t good for your hair, either.

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 11:04 AM
Ah, thought it stays at 100 F if I let it at setting 1

Pacific
April 2nd, 2018, 12:20 PM
I have a heat gun and the lowest setting is 50 degrees Celsius and it also stays at the setting. It doesn't get hotter until I turn it higher.
But I never used it for my hair.

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 01:32 PM
Will test one first, make sure it stays at 50. Read that some are even lower than 50 C.
If it works will update you guys.
I've seen they come with nozzles too, lol.

Rowdy
April 2nd, 2018, 01:39 PM
Regarding the heat gun, there was a thread not too long ago about using mesh colanders instead of diffuser attachments. Maybe this could be tried with the heat gun. I tried the mesh colander on my short curly haired friend and it worked much better for her than a diffuser.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2018, 03:38 PM
I don't have a diffuser anymore - I need to get one! I do frequently wear it wurly - just usually air dry with some extra leave-in. Maybe that's the key. I do have to say that even though it's a bitt frizzier - it feels amazing.

Does diffusing help you for 2nd day hair? My wurls go FLAT on day 2 with air drying - and I don't like to wash sooner than every other - usually more like every 3rd to 4th.

The heat gun thing is hilarious!!! We have these for work - maybe I'll swipe on - just don't let it touch your hair -eep!! :)

It definitely helps yes. My waves go flat halfway through the week, but not on day 1 (day after washday) or day 2.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2018, 03:40 PM
I agree with Lapushka, diffusing is for wurlies, definitely nice hair.
Girls, you are going to lough, but we need to hit the tools department: heat guns is our answer!
Check this out, especially this phrase:
"Most heat guns have a minimum temperature of around 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius), although a few start even lower at 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius). "
https://home.howstuffworks.com/heat-gun.htm
Call me crazy, but I am trying this for sure :eye:
Found one at 29 GBP, lol
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WXDQ74/ref=psdc_1939408031_t1_B0058GIATY
I need to find a way to attach a diffuser to it, lol, I have an idea...

I wouldn't do it; for that price you can get a nice blow dryer. Why bother with this heat gun? I don't get it. :shrug:

zanelle
April 2nd, 2018, 04:28 PM
Thing is that study I linked to earlier shows that the best temperature for drying hair is at around 50 degrees C (120 F)
No blow dryer has this low temperature..
The lowest they get to is 60 C or similar. To be honest I have only found the 60 in this Dyson which is way too expensive.
Of course, if I'd find a blow dryer that is both reasonable in price and has the heat setting I need, I'll go for it.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2018, 04:37 PM
Thing is that study I linked to earlier shows that the best temperature for drying hair is at around 50 degrees C (120 F)
No blow dryer has this low temperature..
The lowest they get to is 60 C or similar. To be honest I have only found the 60 in this Dyson which is way too expensive.
Of course, if I'd find a blow dryer that is both reasonable in price and has the heat setting I need, I'll go for it.

When I set my blow dryer on cool it is a temperature just above the cool shot button (which is nothing but cold air). So not all blow dryers are the same. I have a Braun satin style.

Larki
April 2nd, 2018, 08:21 PM
I have a $15 Conair blow dryer with a cool setting that is probably around 60F.

Kake
April 3rd, 2018, 11:19 AM
Okay - so I tried this for the first time today.

I skipped blowdrying FOREVER from the general info we had here WAY back when. Then I started drying occasionally for meetings or etc. on medium heat. I also found that putting mine up wet was no good for my scalp.

I was perfectly prepared to write you guys today and say this doesn't work for me.

While it didn't take significantly longer on cool than medium heat (and I did do a cool rinse before hopping out of the shower), when I first finished, it was FRIZZY. Like BIG TIME.

I dried it to probably 90% - with scalp completely dry. And with air going down the hair shaft as much as possible.

It does feel amazing, and has settled down a lot since the remainder of the length has dried. I tend to use my hands to gently 'twirl' mine on each side then disturb it as little as possible while it finishes drying.

I did put some Argan oil (combo - it does have some cones) on it after I was done drying.

My suggestion is to dry it 100%. Just once, and see if that helps. I'm tortured by frizz, and need to either blow dry fully or not at all.

I tried cool drying today and I liked it. I still have my normal amount of frizz, but like the texture better. It's wavy, not the stringy curls I get when I air dry. I think it's probably shinier.