PDA

View Full Version : Holy moly! My hair isn't statick-y anymore!

Ocelan
December 13th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Static electricity in the wintertime has been a huge issue for me before, but this winter I've had no issues whatsoever with it! It's been below freezing for weeks now, up to the point of being below -20 degrees celcius and usually I get the first signs of static right around the small minus degrees. There has been absolutely no signs of static in my hair, at all! Once my clothes were staticky, but not my hair. I even asked my friends if they've had static and they said they did, so it's just me then.

I remember in last February when I joined LHC I even had huge static going on in my first length picture. It seems treating my hair right finally is paying off. :) Thank you CO washing and the occasional SMT!

Anyone else who has noticed similar results or are you all battling the old electricity beast? :)

Fethenwen
December 13th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Hey, actually now that you have mentioned it, I also haven't had this problem. I did not have it last year either now when I think about it, but statick-y hair is something I struggled with almost every year before that. I even made an LHC post ranting about it back then.

I think the main reason I don't have this problem anymore is properly moisturized hair :)

sparrowswing
December 13th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Now that you mention it.... I didn't really notice the lack of static until I went back to my old wash routine with SLS for a while and suddenly found my hair grabbing the curtains as I walked through the living room yesterday morning (and wow can my hair reach when it wants to now!). I don't think I've experienced static-y hair since going sulfate-free. Though if I had noticed the lack of static, I might have assumed it's because I'm now living in a more humid place with circulated heat rather than the woodstove heat I grew up with. Woodstoves just aren't hair-friendly.

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I think leave-ins help.

I have recently started using a rose water glycerin combo I got at my local HFS and it banishes static. Yesterday was the first time I had static (my braid looked REALLY funny with all the escaped pieces sticking straight out.). I spritzed it with the spray and even after it dried it the static never came back. I have never used glycerin before and I know it is questionable to use it in winter but my hair really seems to like it. It is as close to an oil I can get. My hair hates oils (a leave ins).

We have had a humid winter so far, though. Weird.

ETA: We have a wood stove, too, and they really suck the moisture from the air!

Mayflower
December 13th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I've had static-y hair once this winter, when it was about 5 °C and I didn't use any conditioner (too lazy). Now I make sure to always use a lot of conditioner (a palmful?) and even though it's starting to get pretty cold I don't have static anymore. I remember battling my static-y hair all winter long, before I used conditioner. It would split like crazy too, because of the dryness. Horrible!

spidermom
December 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I get static when I use my BBB.

MonaMayfair
December 13th, 2012, 08:02 AM
When I tried using a wooden comb I got terrible static, the first time I'd had static in my hair since I was about 12.
I soon went back to my old Kent comb, much better for my hair.

Woods Nymph
December 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I get static when I use my BBB.

Yep; same here. The TT does the same, but coconut oil seems to have been remedying that for me.

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Me too with the TT and BBB. I am mostly using my wide toothed bone comb right now. I did think wood combs were anti-static for some reason.

Ocelan
December 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I might get slight static after thorough BBBing, or atleast used to. TT I use daily and luckily it doesn't make my hair static. I haven't properly combed with my wooden comb in a while. I must do some research.

LadyCelestina
December 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I also get static after shampooing.Here where I live the "winter weather" started just about three weeks ago,so my hair wasn't freshly shampooed and laid pretty smooth.
A shampooing yesterday and it's a fuzzball today :D

jacqueline101
December 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I think properly moisturized hair helped mine.

Sillage
December 13th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Anyone else who has noticed similar results or are you all battling the old electricity beast? :)

No static here! I've been using shea butter, L'oreal EverStyle Smooth and Shine Cream, and Alterna Bamboo Kendi oil mist as my leave ins and they are really working to keep my hair hydrated. The shea butter in particular has been a live saver for my dry ends.

MonaMayfair
December 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Me too with the TT and BBB. I am mostly using my wide toothed bone comb right now. I did think wood combs were anti-static for some reason.

Yes wooden combs ARE supposed to help with static. For some reason known only to my hair, when I used one it GAVE me static instead!

proo
December 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
NW/SO method for about a year now -
zero static.

Tota
December 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Lucky you! I CO too but my hair became staticky as soon as temperatures went below zero and nothing seems to help. It's all over the place so all I can do is wear braids or buns and hope for spring to come soon ;)

torrilin
December 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm having less (not no) staticky excitement so far this winter, but I think it's largely due to changes in my handling patterns. I have gradually switched to mostly finger combing my hair, and much less combing and/or brushing in general. Since static electricity tends to appear due to friction, this logically would reduce static.

dwell_in_safety
December 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Now that you mention it, I haven't noticed any static from my hair whatsoever in months and months! I bet that switching to CO washing did it for me, as well as regular deep oilings and leaving a bit in etc. I used to have quite the halo of broken hairs that would grab anything.

Sharysa
December 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Glad to hear you have no more static! I stopped getting static after I switched from a plastic comb to a wooden one.

Even my clothes are less static-y after I cut down on brushing and just started finger-combing, except when I need to detangle my hair before bed.

Dorothy
December 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I hadn't thought about it either but I never have static in ordinary life. I think it's the coconut oil prewash soaks and the camillia nut oil leave in, and the seamless Bakelite comb and maybe the Henna, too. The only time it happens is when I start an updo and I hang upside down and comb repeatedly to get it all smooth to my head, then the length gets static and sticks to my arm. A swipe down the pony with a hand will stop it, though.