PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take to grow your hair?

dmilton
December 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone! I tried searching for this particular question and couldn't find results, so direct me to the proper thread if this is out there somewhere already.

How long (in years) did it take you to grow your hair to the length it is at now, or your goal length? Also, what length is it at, both the name (BSL, TBL, Classic etc) and in Inches/Centimeters?

I'm at 32 inches which is about Hip length, and it's taken me about 4.5 years to get here (with some decent sized trims (2-4 in) along the way.

Thanks!

neko_kawaii
December 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Here is the most recent similar thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100977) Enjoy!

dmilton
December 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Perfect! Thank you!

RileyJane
December 14th, 2012, 06:21 PM
when my hair was at my hips, my mom said it took about 5 years, but that was without any proper hair care other than washing/ air drying but it did help i was young and it was virgin hair :p since ive started regrowing my hair from just under my ears, in one year it got me from there just shy of BSL with the LHC way of keeping your hair. now im about 2 inches past that after going through a major trim

dulce
December 14th, 2012, 11:53 PM
It took me 4 years from pixie to hip with several trims along the way.

WilfredAllen
December 15th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I'm an inch from APL and it's been a little over 2 years to get here from shaved :)

*Rose Red*
December 15th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I think in May 2008 was my hair a little bit longer than shoulder length, and now I reached 31inches. Would like to have more :)

KwaveT
December 18th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I am at 21 inches now and I have been growing about a little over a year and a half.

Rhea
December 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM
It took me 6 years from pixie to hip with several trims along the way.

Eireann
December 20th, 2012, 07:13 AM
3 years from APL to tailbone. Before that, I had been growing out from a pixie cut for years (since 2001....my post 9/11 emotional hair chop), but was maintaining between shoulder and APL. Now, after maintaining at tailbone for a year, I'm headed for classic.

spidermom
December 20th, 2012, 09:30 AM
About 10 years from pixie to classic length, with lots and lots and lots of trims, some as much as 5 inches (I hate grabby split ends!).

patienceneeded
December 20th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I'm at 2 years now, from SL to "can I call this Waist YET?!?" I have no idea how many inches it is because I don't measure.

jeanniet
December 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM
It was roughly three years from chin to waist, I think. I don't know how many inches that is because I don't measure. Maybe another six months to get to hip. I'm pretty short-waisted, so it took forever to get to BSL and then I think about a year to get from BSL to hip. Right now I'm maintaining more or less at hip to clean up my ends a bit, and then I may go longer, but it really depends on how well my ends hold up.

jacqueline101
December 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Year go from shoulder length to bsl hair and july I went for a trim got three inches cut off. I'm behind on my growth goal.

Vampyria
December 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I started growing out the dye 2 years and two months ago, and my virgin hair is between shoulder and APL right now. I'm at 16 inches, but with the last trim I cut around an inch of the virgin hair to.

jlw9222
December 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Okay, I was pretty much APL (don't know the inches but approx. 24") in September/October 2009. This was after yet another "just the tips" salon visit that took off approximately 2" off instead. I was fed up and decided that I wasn't cutting it anymore. I luckily found this site March 2010 and realized I was normal in my outrage and "no more cutting" attitude.

I trimmed off approximately 4" June 2012 to clean up the ends. By September of this year, it was approximately 37.5". The 37.5 inches almost brought it to my hip (I'm so lucky that I have such a long torso *insert sarcasm*).

I can't believe it took me three years...it didn't feel that long. And here I go again...back at 26.5" but this time knowledge and experience are on my side. ;)

joflakes
December 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
18 months from pixie to collarbone length, with about 4 mullet trims and countless bang trims. =)

No cuts since May 2012, though!

Addy
December 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I went from APL to waist in 11 months. I have 2 pics in my album from Oct 2012-Dec 2012 with CRAZY length grown in that short time!

theemeraldskull
December 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
15 years from 2 inches to 35 inches (with 1-2 inch trims every 4-6 months). :P But it has gone in cycles... some years it grows much faster and other years it goes much slower. It is currently at what has been my goal length ever since I was 12, though I am currently attempting to see if it will grow 5 more inches. :)

dwell_in_safety
December 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
In a year I've gone from a bit past shoulder, not yet APL, to waist length.

gossamer
December 20th, 2012, 06:53 PM
This is a really tough question for me. Maybe I can get some help figuring out how to answer it?

In the spring of 1998, I had my scraggly waist/hip length hair trimmed to a solid BSL.

I consider this my starting point for wanting healthy long hair with trims. (Still wish someone had told me about conditioner then, however. That took another 5 years.) By that reckoning, I guess it's taken me almost 15 years to get to my current length? But that sounds wrong too.

By sometime in 2002, it was back to waist again even with the aggressive trims my hairdresser liked to give me. (I love her, this is in no way a condemnation of her methods.)

Fall 2003, I was at TBL.

Late 2005/early 2006 - Classic.

I got a huge trim in the summer of 2006 - Classic+a bit back up to hip - which I feel almost resets the count clock. But not totally, right? Hip is still long hair... but it did subtract about 4 years of growth...

May 2007 - SO starts trimming my hair instead of my stylist.

Feb 2008 - back at Classic.

April 2010 - join LHC, realize that I'm at "can I call this knee?"

Feb 2011 - declare myself at knee.

Dec 2012 - At calf.

So did it take me 15 years to get here? Or more like the 10 years I tell people who ask the question without really thinking?

battles
December 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM
From chin to BSL in two years.

oliviamariex
December 21st, 2012, 12:06 AM
pixie cut at ears, to ~3" below shoulders in 1.5 years