PDA

View Full Version : Straighten hair with Brown Sugar????

Lazy Loop
December 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I have been searching/Googling and can't find info/proof about this. Tried searching LHC, too.

So I saw on Pinterest, that you can straighten your hair with brown sugar and water.
This is the directions: To straighten hair without heat, just mix a cup of water with 2 tablespoons of BROWN sugar, pour it into a spray bottle, then spray into damp hair and let air dry. Then it shows photo of model with very long straight hair, perfectly smooth. I doubt this is how it was achieved.

Anyway, has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Thank you!!!

Adarrell
December 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I haven't heard of this but it sounds interesting. Did you go ahead and try it?

Kiwiwi
December 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Haha, this makes me laugh.
If I'd put that in my hair I'd just have sticky, sweet tasting curls ^_^

I do not believe this can work at all. How? What makes it work? ^_^

spidermom
December 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Bees and wasps would love it!

shutterpillar
December 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I have seen this straightening technique on Pinterest also, and do not have any experience with it. Nor anyone else I know... probably because they are scared to do it. LOL. If there is not a reputable article linked to the photo, then I usually call BS and move along.

I can only imagine it would end in a big sticky mess. But i'll be watching this thread to see if someone proves me wrong and has actually done it and had it work for them. :)

itdontmatter48
December 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I don't know that I could put sugar in my hair? Are you willing to try it and let us know?

jacqueline101
December 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM
It seems far fetched to me. You can use brown sugar for a scalp scrub.

silverpiper
December 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM
How would not have sticky hair that attracts bugs? Yuck.

Amygirl8
December 12th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'll give it a shot!
I'm going to wash my hair today anyway so might as well.

I'm really intrigued by it too. =D

melusine963
December 12th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I'll give it a shot!
I'm going to wash my hair today anyway so might as well.

I'm really intrigued by it too. =D

:bigeyes: I can't wait to see the results!

shutterpillar
December 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Yes, very interested in seeing how it turns out! Good luck!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Put photos up so we can see how it turns out - even if it doesn't turn out.

afu
December 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I've heard of sugar and water being used to create beachy waves, i guess it probably depends a lot what your hair type is

Amygirl8
December 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Okey-dokes! Here are the results :]
(Luckily my hair does not take long to dry)

First off- does it work? Yes and no.
The thing I noticed about it was not that it made your hair straight, it's that it made it very moldable. In other words, the picture of the straight hair definitely could've been achieved, however it's not something that would stay, since the second you started moving it around it would change shape and you'd need to rebrush it straight.

Second off- it makes your hair feel very brittle and dry, and it tangles quickly.
I didn't follow the instructions exactly since I don't have a spray bottle, so instead I just dunked a plastic brush in and brushed it through my hair, therefore only using about 1/8 of a cup. I'm scared as to how my hair would have been if I had used it all.

Do I recommend doing it? Not at all. My hair just feels terrible and it didn't really work, unless you're willing to brush it all completely straight behind you and hairspray the heck out of it.

Pics:

Before (braid waves here)
http://i45.tinypic.com/2j2wy1s.jpg

After:
http://i45.tinypic.com/mcgbj8.jpg

ETA: After closer inspection, I've noticed something even weirder.
All of my split ends have been sealed off. I can't find a single one O.o

Someone should market this as a split-end destroyer lol.

shutterpillar
December 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Well now we know - Thanks for volunteering as guinea pig! ;)

Amygirl8
December 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
No problem lol.

Lazy Loop
December 12th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Amygirl8, Oh, wow, you're like Mythbusters!!! (pinterest-buster??) I did not try it, but I have used brown sugar scrub, as well as honey in conditioner routinely. So, it was kind of a stretch, but not to outlandish. I appreciate your input! Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

hairhair
December 13th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I doubt it would make curly hair magically straight, but maybe the slight stickiness would decrease frizz?

Natalia
December 13th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Sugar water is just mild hairspray. So if you dampen your hair with it and comb it straight depending on natural texture you may be able to take some texture out of it but its not a straightener.

goldloli
December 13th, 2012, 05:24 AM
makes sense that it would work since punks use sugar water to keep mohawks up in the straight skinny fan shape. my housemate used to use it all the time when his was 12inches plus and hairspray was too expensive, however i dont think it would give a nice finish since it made his hair very stiff

MonaMayfair
December 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I just did an online survey about 3 new products Batiste are bringing out. One of them is a texturizing spray containing sugar, designed to give your hair a tousled look, so along the same principles as the straightening idea.

The other 2 are a dry shampoo with heat protection and a "dry conditioner" containing Argan oil.

lapushka
December 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Sounds to me like someone wanted to play a prank, and a major one. Brown sugar on hair, to straighten it? That much heat on something sweet and sticky? Yeah, right. :rolleyes: