PDA

View Full Version : Having some problems with my hair!

PixieKitten
December 12th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Hi guys, I would really appreciate some input on a couple of problems I've been having in the last couple of months!

For the last few years I've only been washing my hair once a week, and have it up most of the time. But now it's past APL I find myself getting really bad headaches after a 3-5 days of not washing. My hair's pretty thick and heavy, and it feels so much lighter when it's freshly washed. Do you think it's just getting too heavy to leave unwashed for a week? Is it perhaps because of the cold weather? Has anybody else encountered this? This probably sounds ridiculous but I'm so broke I can't afford to need more shampoo and conditioner, my DBF had to buy it for me this week! I feel so pathetic but my pay just isn't stretching far enough this christmas!

Also, I have a strange issue with dandruff. Usually, I just don't get it. At home, I don't get it. But when I go to my boyfriend's house and stay over, BOOM. Next morning I look in the mirror and there's a load of dandruff! I don't understand how this is happening or why, but it drives me crazy! The only thing I can think of is that DBF occasionally pulls on my hair a little during nooky time. But it seems to occur whether he does it or not, and I have told him about it and he has been doing it a lot less. Any ideas?

spidermom
December 12th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I've been trying to wash my hair only once per week lately and haven't gotten a headache so far. As far dandruff when staying over at the BF's - does he change his linens regularly? I've seen some pretty groady guy beds!

PixieKitten
December 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM
He doesn't sleep in his room when I'm not there so whenever I come round it's always put on fresh!

jacqueline101
December 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Maybe its something he washes his sheets in and you're allergic to it. If not and it gets worse I'd see a doctor. You could try a scalp scrub to massage off the dead skin and get rid of the flakes.

arcane
December 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
For the dandruff, how is the air quality at your bfs place? I know when I spend more time at work my skin and this my scalp is dryer because it is so dry in here (shh posting at work). It's even given me nose Leeds. Other things to look at may be his laundry detergent, or other environmental factors (smokers), or even if you touch your hair more often. It could be that you naturally generally leave your hair alone and thus don't see the dandruff typically.

I'd say it may be the added weight of your hair more than the cleanliness of it that may be causing your headaches. Do you change up how you style your hair? Some days I change how my hair is about 5 times because it gets painful or because its a difficult beast to tame. If you think it's he cleanliness and you are worried about the expense, how about trying water only washes or rinsing with avc.

door72067
December 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm in the *get headaches when my hair goes too long between washes* camp

and it's about the same time-frame...3-5 days, depending on what I've been doing

DinaAG
December 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM
may be the headaches got something with the updo's giving you sore scalp? weird i dont think it get that "much" heavy, is the dandruff is about humidity?

Mya
December 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
About your headaches: it may be the cold weather. Since it started, my head would feel cold anytime I put my hair up during its dirtier days, even if I don't pull it excessively, doesn't matter if I'm outside or inside. The solution is: earmuffs! Yes. Sounds strange, but apparently if my ears are warm my head will be too.

Audhumla
December 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
In relation to the headaches, do you vary the updos that you make ?
If you do the same updos or updos that have the weight of your hair in the same place all week then that's probably the cause of that problem.
Washing your hair might just give your scalp a few minutes to relax and have shampoo massaged in.
Repetitive updos can hurt anyone's scalp no matter the length.

lapushka
December 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
For the last few years I've only been washing my hair once a week, and have it up most of the time. But now it's past APL I find myself getting really bad headaches after a 3-5 days of not washing. My hair's pretty thick and heavy, and it feels so much lighter when it's freshly washed. Do you think it's just getting too heavy to leave unwashed for a week? Is it perhaps because of the cold weather? Has anybody else encountered this? This probably sounds ridiculous but I'm so broke I can't afford to need more shampoo and conditioner, my DBF had to buy it for me this week! I feel so pathetic but my pay just isn't stretching far enough this christmas!

I'd try and wash a little quicker; see if your headaches disappear.

door72067
December 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
for me, it's definitely the *dirtiness* of my hair...the style has no bearing on the headache I get

I have a friend who gets the same thing if she goes too long between washes

Arden
December 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Omg, I thought I was a freak! I feel so much better now. My head aches when my scalp is dirty too. My hair is only APL at the moment and I've been BSL so I know weight has nothing to do with it. It's just a dirty head. Glad its not just me. Try washing it and doing a scalp massage in between. Brushing it sometimes helps me too. Brushing / combing helps "clean" and increase circulation to the scalp. It also helps distribute oils down the shaft. Massage increases circulation and also worth the frontalis and occipitals. Often headache triggers are tight head / facial muscles and or sinus / lymph congestion. You know how your face feels when you wash it with the wrong thing or don't wash it regularly? That's kind of like your scalp. Your scalp is basically an extension of your facial skin. Unfortunately finding a balance between scalp health and hair health can sometimes be a challenge. Another thing I'm wondering are you getting all the product rinsed out? Could be a combination of product buildup and your scalp buildup.

Just some thoughts.

Natalia
December 13th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Sounds like your scalp needs some stimulation. Too much pulling from updo's can do that to me too if i wear it in the same spot add in a massage once or twice a day and it goes away. As for the dandruff does he live in a different area or do you have soft water or a filter? Sounds like hard water to me or maybe even an irritant that makes you flakey.