PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else besided me getting tired of the side bang trend?

turtlelover
December 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I am getting tired of the side bang trend. For one, they are ALWAYS in people's faces and half the time you can't see one eye of the wearer. It is annoying to see people CONSTANTLY having to push the hair out of their face. Also, when you have long hair, they take up quite a bit of hair and make braids, etc. harder to manage. Am I alone in my desire to see the side bang trend go away? I've just grown to really hate it lately.

Sorry for the spelling error in the title!!!! :-(

Carolyn
December 11th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Me! I am sick to death of the whole bangs fad. I wish it would go away.

SerinaDaith
December 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Totally with you.

akilina
December 11th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I really am having a hard time understanding this.. Side bangs are just a way wear your hair and I don't really see it as a "trend". Its a harmless hair style. It seems they became rather popular....8 years ago...perhaps even further back in time and I just did not pay attention. I am only basing this on my own observation. I noticed that when I was in the 7th grade, side bangs became incredibly popular and are still going. I figure if something has endured that long that its past the "trend" point and has turned into just a common style one might wear their bangs.
I do find it annoying to see teenage boys and teenagers that like to call themselves "scene kids" with "side bangs" in their eyes or down to their chin and they flip it every 10 seconds.

I have to say though that if people are going to wear side bangs they should at least have them looking proper and nice/not in their eyes/face. I feel like side bangs should be that perfect length to where they are not in the eyes, they lay nicely and dont need to be flicked or clipped constantly.
I do not wear side bangs because it is a "trend". I wear them because I like them on myself more than any other style. It is most flattering to my face. Straight across bangs would make my face look very round. The other alternative? No bangs whatsoever at all? Not for me. I would never stop what I do because someone else does not like it.

Yet, then again...Who are we to really complain about anything that someone else likes on themself ? It just seems to trivial :(

Sarahlabyrinth
December 11th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Yes, I thought it impractical and silly as soon as it appeared, how well can a person function with one eye covered with hair all the time? Either that, or forever having to flick it out of the way. Or clip it out of the way, which then negates the whole style anyway.

Kaelee
December 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I LOVE side bangs, but my hair refuses to side part. It just refuses. No, no, not going to do it. So the "side bang" winds up being one big bang hanging down the middle. It's always in my eyes, itches, and never looks right.

If I really want to and my hair wants to be REALLY nice to me and the stars align, I can wear the bangs I have now in a side bang style. But that happens about once a year. *lol*

minxe
December 12th, 2012, 12:48 AM
It's cute and flattering. Most people don't really care about braids.

HintOfMint
December 12th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I personally love them as they add interest, both to updos and to my hair loose.

However, there are some people who look much better without them, but side bangs being so ubiquitous, they end up wearing them anyway for a host of reasons when they wouldn't otherwise if it wasn't so popular and everywhere.
Then again, I could be one of those people. Still love them.

woolyleprechaun
December 12th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I have a very angular, square face and side bangs are the only kind I can wear. However, I grew them out as they didn't work too well with braids, as you say, and they get in your eyes.
It does nark me when peoples faces are covered in hair... I find it very distracting when the constantly have to shake them out of the way.
I know its an odd anecdote, but recently we had a mother apealing on TV for her runaway daughter to return. Her bangs dangled in her face to such and extent that all ANYONE could talk about was how annoying it was. It totaly detracted from the point of her speech.

KittyBird
December 12th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I think being annoyed at side bangs is a bit like being annoyed at people who wear French braids, dye their hair yellow, have pixie cuts etc. People have side bangs because they like it, and in many cases it looks good on them. They are also not here to decorate your world. I agree with Akilina, it seems a bit trivial to complain about what other people like on themselves.

oktobergoud
December 12th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I really am having a hard time understanding this.. Side bangs are just a way wear your hair and I don't really see it as a "trend". Its a harmless hair style.

Yet, then again...Who are we to really complain about anything that someone else likes on themself ? It just seems to trivial :(

Exactly this! :)

millyaulait
December 12th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Aww, I love my side bangs.

I don't wear it over my eye though, it just hits my eyebrow. It's very, very flattering to my face.

I'll never go without side bangs! My face just doesn't suit it... :D

kaydana
December 12th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Seems like a total waste of energy to get annoyed about how other people like to wear their hair. How about you wear your hair in the way you like, and accept that other people will wear their hair in the way they like. There are bigger problems in the world than how another person wants to wear their hair.

bratz81
December 12th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Seems like a total waste of energy to get annoyed about how other people like to wear their hair. How about you wear your hair in the way you like, and accept that other people will wear their hair in the way they like. There are bigger problems in the world than how another person wants to wear their hair.

100% completely agree!

LadyCelestina
December 12th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Oh my,don't tell me you all only solve important, serious problems where triviality has no place ! :D

To the OP: Side bangs have become a trend big enough to cause you some trouble if you are wanting to express your honest opinion on them.Especially on a site like LHC,it's better to keep it to yourself.There are just too many people who could get hurt,even though it probably doesn't matter what people on the internet think about their bangs...And even though you didn't mean to hurt them,I hope. :)

Annibelle
December 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I'm not at all offended by the OP's annoyance, but I did just cut myself some side bangs a few days ago. :p I love them! They really soften my face. My face looks harsh, IMO, without bangs, but straight-across bangs make my face look rounder and younger... and as a 23-year-old college instructor, that's the LAST thing I want! So side bangs it is! I do see them a lot, but I think they look adorable on a lot of people. :)

Also, I'm not always flicking mine out of my eyes, but I'm the type who also prefers when people don't see my face, so it's kind of nice to have the option to hide a bit. :) Though I keep them at eyebrow level most of the time...

rtree721
December 12th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I can totally see how side bangs can be annoying when they are always covering a person's eyes and they flick their head constantly. But that is their to choice to have that hair style so if it makes them happy then who are we to complain?
I actually really love the look of side bangs when they are the right length and just lightly swept across the forehead and not in someone's eyes. I used to have side bangs and they really flattered my face and hid my tall forehead. The only reason I don't have them now is because in order to style them, I had to straighten them. I wish I could have them again but I refuse to get a straightener or use heat on my hair.

spidermom
December 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Nope - doesn't bother me. I've been contemplating having mine directed into side bangs just for a change.

white.chocolate
December 12th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I think side bangs can be cute, and they suit some people very much. They're not for me though. But, yes, I see not much point in having them if a person is constantly brushing their bangs out of their eyes!

BunnyKitten
December 12th, 2012, 08:00 AM
No... I don't like them on myself, but I think that on most people they can be very flattering. I've never really noticed people messing with their hair too much because of them. If they do, well, that's their annoyance, not mine. When I tried side-swept bangs they were short enough that they never covered my eyes. I am a huge fan and supporter of bangs in general. :D Also I think it's cute when bangs fall out of braids.

SnowWhite
December 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I like them on myself, but I keep them no longer than my eyebrows.
It bothers me though if the bangs are so long that they cover one eye. On myself AND on other people.
But everyone has to decide for themselves.

shutterpillar
December 12th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Like others have mentioned, I don't see why it is such a big deal. Maybe if it was to the point of being distracting (flicking their heads, affecting their vision, etc) but as a trend, I don't see why other people having a bang of any type is something to get worked up over. It's not on my head, and they surely didn't get the cut to please me, so I don't think I, personally, should take the time out of my day to stress about how someone else wears their hair. I think someone else mentioned that it seems to have gone beyond a trend at this point, and I would have to agree. A recent trend was the feathers in the hair. It came and went. But side bangs seem to be just another way people wear their hair, and I typically see it more often than not.

Vivalagina
December 12th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I think they look cute on a lot of people, but it's annoying to talk to someone who is constantly jerking their head to one side to flick bangs out of the way. I want to give them a pin just to make it stop, hehe. But it mostly makes me laugh when it's a teenager sulking at you through a chunk of bangs. I know a few who will deliberately flick bangs over their eyes to glare through the pieces. It's hilarious. :) I would have side bangs to soften my face, but I have a small forehead and just don't want to deal with bangs that short anymore.

neko_kawaii
December 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Does it make you long for the days of bangs that were back combed and sprayed so they stood up straight? I really don't care what people do with their own hair and I haven't noticed an overwhelming trend for side bangs. I have however noticed a lot of short side french/dutch braids that end in bobby pins, and the trend appeared right when I learned to do dutch braids and I love asymmetrical looks. Of course seeing that it was common completely turned me off of the style. *wink*

jacqueline101
December 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I have bangs and I don't care for side bangs like the initial complaint of them being in one eye or blocking your view.

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I do find it annoying to see teenage boys and teenagers that like to call themselves "scene kids" with "side bangs" in their eyes or down to their chin and they flip it every 10 seconds.

Bolded: I have never heard this term before. Is it the same as the "emo" kids?

My 16yo son has hair like this. Honestly, it is, so far, the best hairstyle he has tried. It doesn't bother me one bit but instead of flipping his head he kind of leaves it cocked to one side to see through his bangs. His hair is clean and detangled. I don't have issues with it. :shrug: Nevermind all his friends have the SAME haircut. LOL

I do see the side bangs as a trend and perhaps it has stuck around awhile because it looks better than regular bangs on a lot of people. I cannot stand hair touching my face so bangs are out for me. I used to wear regular bangs and they looked so awful on me. All those old pics are embarrassing to me LOL.

Some trends last a long time. The baggy jeans trend is STILL in and it is getting really old. Now they have skinny jeans that are baggy just in the butt, too. Gotta see those boxers! I am not sure which is worse...sure wear what you want but please don't rape my eyes.

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Oh I wanted to add that I have an aunt who has always worn her bangs just below her eyes. She looks through them. No idea why. As far back as my memory and pictures go, that is how her bangs have been. It used to bother me but doesn't anymore. It is just "her".

DMARTINEZ
December 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Who cares...lol. I have them,but they arent in my eyes for heavens sake! They are fun!

Deb

Vanille_
December 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I think they are beautiful. I want them for myself, but 1. I'm not sure they would be flattering and 2. I refuse to let anyone cut my hair, so I'd have to risk doing it myself. I can't remember the last time I had bangs, but I've always had face framing layers in the front. I've spent the last year growing them out. Not because it's a goal or anything. Just because I'm lazy and haven't made a decision on a change. Anyway. I like them.

Loveisaverb
December 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Side bangs can be all kinds of lengths so depending on how long the bangs are some won't even be in your eye sight. Of course the same can be said with doing a middle part down the front (for me anyway) about getting in your face.
But I digress I find em cute and it suits a lot of people more so then blunt bangs.

savfairy
December 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I feel that I look more attractive with side bangs. However, due to comfort purposes, I don't let mine grow long enough to cover my eye. I don't mind what people do to their hair, as long as it makes them happy.

jasper
December 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I feel left out for not having realized there was a side bangs trend.

spirals
December 12th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I don't know if mine fit in this category. The shortest pieces generally fall between bottom of nose and chin. They don't cover my eyes. I've had my hair like this for 20 years because a center part is unflattering, as are blunt bangs. There are plenty of heads of hair out there I don't like, but I don't give them a second thought not five minutes later.

kaydana
December 13th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Bolded: I have never heard this term before. Is it the same as the "emo" kids?

The hair cuts are very similar, but scene kids tend towards brighter colours (both in hair and clothing), while the emo kids tend towards darker colours. The cultures are different too but that's a little harder to sum up quickly.

MonaMayfair
December 13th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I feel left out for not having realized there was a side bangs trend.

Well if there is a "trend" it's been around practically forever!

But actually, I was watching Judge Judy (who I adore) the other day, and the defendant pushed her hair back from her face about 12 times until Judge Judy sharply told her to leave her hair alone, haha!
And it WAS really annoying to watch as (because she was speaking and I was interested in the show) I was constantly watching her. IRL I would just not look at her if she was irritating me, so I wouldn't be bothered one way or the other how her hair looked.

noelgirl
December 13th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I had side bangs several years ago and really loved them; I've actually been tempted lately to cut them back in. When they get in the way, they also look cute pinned back, so it's win-win for me. They are a little hit-or-miss - the ones I really loved were the ones I cut myself 8 years ago. A few years later I had them cut back in and they were just not right - a little too blunt, a little too heavy, and I started growing those out right away. But I'm getting that bangs itch I get every few years - I'm overdue, really :p

spidermom
December 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM
What I really dislike is the bob trend. To me, it looks awful on just about everyone. There are exceptions, of course.
It's a really hideous haircut on me. Can we say big fat pumpkin face?

frogs
December 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I agree with you, Kittybird! I also want to say that, as good as it is to express ones opinion about something, this is after all a site about hair and this is also a place where versatility is appreciated. People on here are, more or less, devoted to hair and if they like to have sidebangs, that should be accepted by the other members and not seen upon as a "trend." I know that there has been nothing but kindness in this thread and people have simply expressed their opinions, which is completely fine, but please let it stay there and let LHC remain a place where one can appreciate hair and wear it anyway they want. What if somebody started a thread called i"s anyone else besides me getting tired of the long hair trend" or something like that? A great deal of us would be rather upset about that, i believe! People with side bangs have feelings to, you know :) Just wanted to say that!

Edit: Did not see that there was more than one page so i only read the frst one... I am sorry if this has already been debated in the thread!

DMARTINEZ
December 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM
What I really dislike is the bob trend. To me, it looks awful on just about everyone. There are exceptions, of course.
It's a really hideous haircut on me. Can we say big fat pumpkin face?

I love bobs,,but not on me either. I envy those who can wear it,coz its easy and cute!! :)

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I am with Spidermom on bobs though I do think some people pull them off rather nicely. As a kid, my mom gave me the dreaded bowl cut until the mid 80's. Ergh. I do think people should be able to do whatever they want but that doesn't mean I have to like it or think it looks nice.

There was a lady in the store the other day and her hair was bobbed and her bangs were cut like a rainbow or upside-down U, or an arch. It has to be the worst cut I have seen...like...ever. I wondered if it was on purpose or if it was correcting an "oops". She was an "older" lady. Maybe 60's? I am horrid at age guessing. I mean, whatever, if she likes it...

Live and let live! But let's not pretend we like everything we see. Now whether to keep that info to yourself or not is another matter that I KNOW has been discussed at length here before.

northernsky
December 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM
The only trend I find completely ridiculous is ombre hair. I had it back in the day trying to grow out bad dye jobs, but what is with people paying to look that way? I don't get it.

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2012, 10:21 AM
northern...I don't get it either. I don't dislike on other people it but I would never do that to my hair on purpose.

northernsky
December 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM
northern...I don't get it either. I don't dislike on other people it but I would never do that to my hair on purpose.

I always felt super self-conscious about it while I was growing out old color, because to me it doesn't look right. If other people want to do it to their own hair, then whatever. As long as they like it, that's cool. But yeah-- not something I would do intentionally to myself.

KittyBird
December 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM
(snip) There was a lady in the store the other day and her hair was bobbed and her bangs were cut like a rainbow or upside-down U, or an arch. It has to be the worst cut I have seen...like...ever. I wondered if it was on purpose or if it was correcting an "oops". She was an "older" lady. Maybe 60's? I am horrid at age guessing. I mean, whatever, if she likes it...

Live and let live! But let's not pretend we like everything we see. Now whether to keep that info to yourself or not is another matter that I KNOW has been discussed at length here before.

Oh my, that description almost made me spit coffee all over my laptop! That's the funniest thing I've read all day! :laugh:

I agree with Spidermom about bobs. Many people look good with bobs, but there are so many people who never should have gotten that cut. I'm one of them, and unfortunately I've confirmed my incompatibility with bobs far too many times. The same goes for bangs and pixies. Pixies make me look like a man and bangs just look like I have a fancy little moustache on my forehead. My hair is quite gravity defying when it's short. (Sorry for the mini-hijack). ;)

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM
bangs just look like I have a fancy little moustache on my forehead.

LOL! You returned the laugh!

LaFlor
December 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM
bangs just look like I have a fancy little moustache on my forehead.

:rollin: :rollin: Oh my, my bangs do the same thing. :rollin: :rollin:

DMARTINEZ
December 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I am with Spidermom on bobs though I do think some people pull them off rather nicely. As a kid, my mom gave me the dreaded bowl cut until the mid 80's. Ergh. I do think people should be able to do whatever they want but that doesn't mean I have to like it or think it looks nice.

There was a lady in the store the other day and her hair was bobbed and her bangs were cut like a rainbow or upside-down U, or an arch. It has to be the worst cut I have seen...like...ever. I wondered if it was on purpose or if it was correcting an "oops". She was an "older" lady. Maybe 60's? I am horrid at age guessing. I mean, whatever, if she likes it...

True,i dont pretend I like short curly helmet head perms,,but hey, if it floats their boat.... ;)

Eireann
December 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Owing to forehead wrinkles and lots of cowlicks, I pretty much committed to my bangs. Mine are straight down rather than side-swept, but I've had side bangs at other stages of my life.

MonaMayfair
December 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I love bobs, all I see where I live (and I live in 2 cities) is long hair, so when I had a classic 1920s bob about 3 years ago I felt I really stood out in the sea of long hair.

I looked really good with it, but it was a pain to maintain (needed straightening) so I only had it cut into shape one more time (for a play I was in) then grew it straight out again. I'm back past waist now...

MonaMayfair
December 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
The only trend I find completely ridiculous is ombre hair. I had it back in the day trying to grow out bad dye jobs, but what is with people paying to look that way? I don't get it.

I LOVE ombre hair, I much prefer it to all one color hair. Unfortunately mine is reverse ombre ATM in 2 colors that look terrible together. 6" of blonde roots and henna on the rest.
I'm having to hide the whole thing with one color.

gillybeanxo3921
December 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I think ombre is adorable if it's done right, but I just can't deal with the split ends bleach causes.

You know what I don't like? The scene hair.

[img=http://s7.postimage.org/hh7ndnd9j/images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_SAXf_Py1t3um_Jy5_Lqww69_Lqk_F Fbl_D.jpg] (http://postimage.org/image/hh7ndnd9j/)

getoffmyskittle
December 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I think side bangs look good. :D

AdaClare
December 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I had side bangs over the summer and liked them, but got tired of constantly pushing them out of my eyes. They're slowly but surely growing out now. :p

DMARTINEZ
December 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Ive seen some gorgeous Ombre coloring! Everthing if done correctly can look awesome!

Deb

DMARTINEZ
December 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/womenshair/1/0/8/E/-/-/JamieChung.JasonMerritt.jpg This is pretty!

Annibelle
December 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM
It might just be because I'm absolutely in love with her, but Jennifer Carpenter also has some lovely ombre going on! https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrwgRrN1Md9K81Q15asVL7JhrpH5FcM-dlPMFpQv0jg-4xw-L7

I do, however, prefer hair to be all one color. But ombre can be fun! I had the ugliest accidental ombre when I was a teen, though... imagine my dark brown hair with four-inch-long roots above the brassiest once-red four inches of hair you can imagine. :tmi: I knew it looked bad-- I have no idea why I didn't do something about it for six months!

jessa
December 13th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I tried to grow out my bangs and they were well below my shoulders but as my face is long (and I have quite a large forehead), having long hair and not having any bangs just makes my face even longer and I feel (and have been told) that I look much better with side bangs. I have also tried straight bangs but they also dont suit me at all. So I dont have side bangs to be on 'trend.' I have them because they soften my face and and its the only way I feel that I can really get away with having long hair. I wish I could get away with not having bangs.

KittyBird
December 14th, 2012, 03:04 AM
http://0.tqn.com/d/womenshair/1/0/8/E/-/-/JamieChung.JasonMerritt.jpg This is pretty!

Beautiful! I think ombre can be very pretty when it's done right (and I'm not just saying that because I have reverse ombre myself :cool: ).

spidermom
December 14th, 2012, 07:29 AM
It's nice there are so many options. Each of us can find something we really like.