PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Losing the Layers

SuperLenthMe
December 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I have been growing out my hair for about four years now. I've just recently made it to waist. Yay!

I have THICK wavy hair and I've had layers since I can remember. I also have damage on the bottom half of my hair from past lightening but it's not that bad(my hair is super resilient) but still I have more split ends then I want. My layers are pretty grown out, they start just a few inches above my ends.

People on here always talk about how they're trying to get rid of their layers and have a U shaped hemline. I agree that that is a nice look and I am thinking about trying to achieve that. But why do LHCers seem to detest layers so much? Does having a straight(ish) hemline reduce the amount of split ends? What are the benefits of losing the layers once you're hair is considered (somewhat)long? Are there any?

Id appreciate any advice. Thanks!

novemberfoxtrot
December 11th, 2012, 11:37 AM
My layers annoy me when I'm trying to make a nice braid and they kick out everywhere. Now, like you, mine are just a few inches short of my hemline. I'm happy with them there...still look nice when my hair is down and my braid is pretty even.

akilina
December 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
For me, No layers means my hair will be/look as thick as it possibly can..and that would mean a lot to me since my hair is already fairly thin looking.
After a while I realized that my hair would actually be pretty, and possibly considered thick if It was all one length (but I will always keep my bangs, side part, and face framing!) so now I am on that journey. I chopped off 4 or 5 inches last month and it is a world of difference. I have probably 4 or 5 inches to go until they are gone but I am not willing to chop that short any time soon : ]

millyaulait
December 11th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I am perhaps in the serious minority here, but I love my layers!

They give me movement and make my hair look really nice when worn down. They are long layers, so they aren't all over the place.

Mine don't make braids or updos difficult, probably because the layers aren't short.

I guess without layers your hair looks as thick as it can, but that's not really my goal, so I'm good with mine. :)

Vivalagina
December 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I am getting rid of mine for two reasons. I find it difficult to put my hair up with them (pops out everywhere for the last 3-4 inches of my braids, pops out of my buns an makes me look like a fuzzy peacock, etc) and I find them very difficult to S&D. I think a lot of people look wonderful with them, but my ultimate goal is to be able to do tidy updos and for my hair that means one blunt length.

zombi
December 11th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I love my layers, too!! I will not give them up. My hair looks thinner without them. It lays prettier with them. I too have long layers and I'm planning to keep 'em!!

Tota
December 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Good question, I've been wondering this myself for some time. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I am also in the process of getting rid of my layers, but I don't know how will it feel/look/benefit my hair. I will just have to wait, get rid of my layers and see how it is. I never had a blunt hemline before.

SuperLenthMe
December 11th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah I guess as my hair has gotten longer I have wanted to wear it in a braid or bun more(I can't wear it in a ponytail anymore because the weight pulls too much and gives me a pretty instant headache). Having my hair all one length will make fewer pieces left out! I guess the reason that I've always had layered hair is because hair dressers always say "your hair will look too heavy at the bottom of you don't layer it up a little." I always listened to them because I figured they knew better then me. Plus it does make sense for shorter hair(I mean I don't want to
get that patty and Selma look from the Simpsons). Now that my hair is long I think I might not mind "weight" at the bottom. After all, it seem like something not everyone can achieve and I like being unique. Thanks for the responses so far!

jacqueline101
December 11th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I just don't like mine. It does make some hair styles a pain due to layers sticking out.

MonaMayfair
December 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I love my layers, too!! I will not give them up. My hair looks thinner without them. It lays prettier with them. I too have long layers and I'm planning to keep 'em!!

Me too, exactly! I don't like buns anyway. Braids need re-braiding a bit more often because bits stick out sooner, but it's worth it!

gillybeanxo3921
December 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM
layers can make it hard to get rid of split ends, since every time you trim it, you have the chance of missing pieces. These pieces just get lost in your hair and never trimmed, and basically become part of a new layer.

It's easier and cleaner to just cut your hair as one thick hemline, then a bunch of different ones.

I love my layers though, so my solution to this is to just grow my hair out very very very long, and then trim back 3-5" at once, thus catching ALL my hair in the trim.

DancingQueen
December 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I wish I could have layers, but my hair is simply too thin to make it look good. My ends will look scraggly and thin within a week, and I like my hemline thick and even. My hair just likes the straight across better. :)

But if layers work for you, then go for it!

biogirl87
December 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
For me, No layers means my hair will be/look as thick as it possibly can..and that would mean a lot to me since my hair is already fairly thin looking.
After a while I realized that my hair would actually be pretty, and possibly considered thick if It was all one length (but I will always keep my bangs, side part, and face framing!) so now I am on that journey. I chopped off 4 or 5 inches last month and it is a world of difference. I have probably 4 or 5 inches to go until they are gone but I am not willing to chop that short any time soon : ]Same here. Before I had layers cut into my hair, my hair was much thicker than it is now. So due to the thickness that I'm missing I'm growing out my layers and my bangs.

biogirl87
December 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I love my layers, too!! I will not give them up. My hair looks thinner without them. It lays prettier with them. I too have long layers and I'm planning to keep 'em!!Zombi, my hair also lays prettier with layers and my mom likes them how my hair looks with them but if I had to choose between how pretty my hair looks with layers and thickness I'm used (same as the thickness I've had due the greater part of my life, from about my teens onward) I'd take thickness over layers any day.

HairFaerie
December 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I am aiming for waist and I wouldn't mind fairytale ends. I, personally, don't like blunt hemlines. So for me, I will be leaving my layers in while growing out.

I think it's just personal opinion though. Also, what a lot of people say about the layers sticking out when they do braid/updos. That's probably why most people don't like them.

Again, I am probably in the minority when I say I will be wearing my hair down most of the time. Updos give me a headache. When my hair was BSL+, I wore a lose braid or ponytail to bed and that was it, so the layers never bothered me.

FireFromWithin
December 11th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm growing mine out as I prefer the blunt hemline, I've cut a few layers out so far and it's made a big difference to how thick my hair looks at the ends. I also feel that it looks longer with less layers but I'm blonde with thin hair so it can be difficult to see the ends properly if I have lots of layers. Hairdressers always told me I needed them to give my hair body and make it appear thicker.
And I do a lot of braided styles or styles which need more length than I currently have in the top layers. But cutting them all out now would send me from nearly waist to just below APL and I can't stand to even consider it!

vamq
December 11th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Layers can be very pretty, and very handy too if you have really thick hair.
For example, my older sister needs them, as her hair is so thick she'd get headaches without the layers.

For me, layers don't work for multiple reasons.
I have fine , semi-wavy hair, and layers gve me flyaway, non-cooperative hair. Besides, layers require upkeep, at least for me. Layers just cut? My hair looks awesome. Two months later? My hair looks like rats chewed on it. Not very awesome. Third, and probably the strongest argument for me: if I have layers, I cannot make proper updo's. I tend to prefer the 'I am an evil librarian'-bun (don't laugh now) as it protects my fine strands, and for that reason, bits and pieces sticking out of my updo really annoy me.

It was for these reasons that I decided to cut out all of my layers when I joined the Dutch longhairboard. This haircut brought me back from almost waist to APL, but for me, that was worth it :)

HintOfMint
December 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Some people like to see their hair as a separate entity from themselves. Thick, one length, long hair is a beautiful thing, independent of the person it's sitting on. That's the appeal for some people. Back in the day, I know that's the thought that appealed to me when I was growing out my layers. Also, some people just don't have a smart hairstylist and they end up with wonky layers that aren't cut right or flattering.

However, I've realized that my hair needs layers and thinning to look good, and I don't want to view my hair as a pretty object separate from me. I want it to frame me and flatter me. So I've gone back to layers and have not looked back. When my hair was all one length, or close to it, it was heavy and big and the bottom and super flat on top because of the weight. It just wasn't a good look and looked disproportionate.

After trying no layers, I can confidently say that layers, for many heads of hair and preferences, are a good thing.

ravenreed
December 11th, 2012, 03:48 PM
This is very subjective. I much prefer the look of layered long hair, regardless of the person it's sitting on.

Some people like to see their hair as a separate entity from themselves. Thick, one length, long hair is a beautiful thing, independent of the person it's sitting on. That's the appeal for some people. Back in the day, I know that's the thought that appealed to me when I was growing out my layers. Also, some people just don't have a smart hairstylist and they end up with wonky layers that aren't cut right or flattering.

However, I've realized that my hair needs layers and thinning to look good, and I don't want to view my hair as a pretty object separate from me. I want it to frame me and flatter me. So I've gone back to layers and have not looked back. When my hair was all one length, or close to it, it was heavy and big and the bottom and super flat on top because of the weight. It just wasn't a good look and looked disproportionate.

After trying no layers, I can confidently say that layers, for many heads of hair and preferences, are a good thing.

Darkessa
December 11th, 2012, 04:12 PM
For me, its the simplicity of trimming when I need to.
And styles are generally easier/prettier without layers.

Although I do prefer the look of layers when the hair is worn down...

Its a never ending battle. :(

Kristin
December 11th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I have layers all the way from my chin (if you include my grown-out bangs; they start at collar bone if you don't) to past waist
I think they're awesome! My hair holds a curl better and- I think- looks more modern with layers. Obviously, this is a completely subjective thing, but I couldn't handle my hair without layers. Not pretty and unmanageable.

Ambystoma
December 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I hated having layers since my hair tends towards being poofy and frizzy, and the shorter hairs curl up more than longer ones so I found it hard to avoid a messy, unkempt "finger in a light socket" look with them! I'm not against layers per se, but on me they're a disaster unless flatironed into submission.

TheHowlingWolf
December 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I originally got layers to help get rid of some severe spit ends/damage without having to chop ALL my hair off. My favorite/go to styles are different types of braids so, like some people have mentioned, I'm trying to grow out my layers so I can achieve nicer looking braids. I also think one length hair is just easier to take care of in general (to trim, condition, detangle, check for split ends, etc)

tiny squirrel
December 11th, 2012, 07:41 PM
...I tend to prefer the 'I am an evil librarian'-bun...

I love this look too. I actually work in a library and I wear glasses. Sometimes I just think it's fun to put on a cardigan, pin my hair in a tight bun, and pretend to be an "evil librarian.":smirk:

dancingrain91
December 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I have fine hair so I've been trying to get rid of them just to let my hair look thicker. It also would make braiding easier since my shortest layers are just past my shoulders with BSL length hair.

Tabihito
December 11th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Braids. I love braids, and hate fuzzy layers sticking out everywhere.

Also, because my hair is fairly wurly, layers can have one of two effects: they can allow the hair to be curlier due to reduced weight on upper layers, or they can turn the hair into a frizzy mess because your curl pattern doesn't work with layers well (i.e. canopy hairs want to curl with the hairs below, instead of separately). Unfortunately, my hair does the latter, since it tends to turn into lots and lots of "ropes" of wurls. So for me, layers don't make wearing my hair down any better.

Their only plus side is that, when my hair decides to cooperate, they are fairly nice. But that's such a small percentage of the time, I'm better off getting rid of them.

MORE
December 11th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Ohh I wanna be an evil librarian too! :D

I am getting rid of my layers for the same reason as a lot of other ladies who already posted: I am so tired of them poking out of my braids. They also make my braids look thin at the ends. Well, because they are. They actually make my entire hair looking thinner and thinner... I had a big shed but I don't think that would have been showing so much if I didn't have layers.

So for me, they will have to vanish eventually. But I think everyone should do what they want with their hair, and if you want layers - don't be afraid to get it! :)

CurlyCap
December 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I think it's just a matter of what you want out of your hair.

When my hair is layered, I get maximum curl, with ringlets all through my canopy. Also, since my hair is quite thick, it improves the manageability of my hair by cutting down the bulk. I've worn my hair like this for years and loved it.

When my hair is more blunt, I get VOLUME....which is a look I'm enjoying right now. Big, ginormous, Taiwan eating hair. Also, since it's unlayered, I have the thickness to do some amazing multi-section updos. With layered hair, the shorter layers just had to be considered "fringe". They wouldn't work with many styles.

I plan to switch back to layers once I pass waist. I think I may have to much hair to enjoy my hair long AND unlayered. But since my hair is only medium length right now, I'm enjoying it full-strength. :D

Hope that helps!

Sandrawoah
December 12th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I personally have a love/hate relationship with my layer. I love my layers when I wear my hair down but hate it when I try to put it in braid. My layers tend to fall out of the braid! :/

Earth Angel
December 12th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I have fine hair so I've been trying to get rid of them just to let my hair look thicker. It also would make braiding easier since my shortest layers are just past my shoulders with BSL length hair.

I also have very fine hair and trying to grow out layers, when I didn't have them my hair looked better and thicker. It's a painful process trying to grow them, they seem to take forever :(

Earth Angel
December 12th, 2012, 05:23 AM
For me, layers don't work for multiple reasons.
I have fine , semi-wavy hair, and layers gve me flyaway, non-cooperative hair.

Mine too! I've been trying to grow our my layers for years and for some reason they seem to have been in stasis :confused: or just grow very slowly as I think the layers have made my hair weaker with it being so fine & wavy

Oksana
December 12th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I am trying to grow out my layers because having a full blunt hemline gives my fine wavy hair the illusion of looking thicker and healthier. Currently my ends look thin and scraggly.

On the other hand, my mother has really thick straight long hair and layers look fantastic in her hair. It gives it movement and shape.

woolyleprechaun
December 12th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Its a very personal thing, but these are the reasons I am growing out my layers:
The shorter bits seem more suceptable to damage and tangling.
They look constantly messy.
I wear updos all the time, and its harder with layers.
They make my ends look thin.
They make trimming and S&Ding more difficult.
They can look great on some people, but they are the bane of my hair-life :/

goldloli
December 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM
The shorter bits seem more suceptable to damage and tangling.
They look constantly messy.
They make my ends look thin.
They make trimming and S&Ding more difficult.
So so true! I'm currently growing out my layers because they were buried throughout the hair from ear down to mbl (aka thinning shears, not my choice btw), so i cant just trim them. Fortunately they're almost all gone, however they are all in need of trimming and my ends do look thin and damaged. I'm not yet ready to cut off the 3 inches of layers plus an inch or 2 to rid damage and splits on those hairs.

With all that, a 2/3 year growing out horror story, I still adore layers! I think if they are cut well and not buried, then they lay very well and are easy to maintain/trim. They give great body to my wurls and are worth going to the best to get them. If everything goes wrong then that's a couple years of unhappiness over your hair so it's really worth spending money and time on. My curls look so sad and limp without them.

Oh and if you have 2 year old buried layers that have never been trimmed, be aware they matte so horridly. Tangles errywhere and velcro, oh gosh i hate them so much, i wish i could cut but keep length :'(

spidermom
December 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I like my long layers when my hair is down, but I don't like them when I braid. The ends are too messy and the tie-off thingie slides off very easily. Next hair cut, I think I'm losing the layers.

No layers means thicker ends, too.

zombi
December 12th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Zombi, my hair also lays prettier with layers and my mom likes them how my hair looks with them but if I had to choose between how pretty my hair looks with layers and thickness I'm used (same as the thickness I've had due the greater part of my life, from about my teens onward) I'd take thickness over layers any day.

I'm only a i thickness so I can't possibly imagine ever having the thickness of iii you quote in your signature -- but in my experience and with my personal head of hair, it LOOKS thicker if I have layers than it does if I do not. It doesn't feel any thinner to me this way, either, probably because I have very thin hair anyhow. (:

I don't mind my braids looking a bit messy on the ends and I don't mind my buns looking a bit messy, either. None of my layers are so short they stick out just a ton, anyhow! For me, I like the way my curls/wurls lay when layered. To each his or her own! I agree woolyleprecaun -- it's a very personal thing!

Kosmos
December 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I don't know whether I'm going to keep my layers or not. Right now they look all right and help thin out my thicker hair, making it look less "poofy" and "triangle shaped." I'm hoping when I get longer, to waist or hip, that I can trim out some of the layers cause I do like smooth braids. I don't know yet though. It depends on how I feel when I get there. :cheese:

Dr. Girlfriend
December 12th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I have really thick, wurly hair and long layers are one of the things that have made growing it out do-able for me. I had 1/2" trimmed off last week so now it's 27" when pulled straight. I had to have my layers touched up as well because the last trim I got back in August they just trimmed the length. My shortest layer is around my collar bone.

For me, when it's all one length it is very 'poofy', flat on top, hard to control and I just don't think it looks good on me. It also helps tames the wurls and make them lay nicer to have the layers. I do get annoyed with the wisps sticking out on braids sometimes, but not to the point where I would consider getting rid of the layers.

biogirl87
December 12th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm only a i thickness so I can't possibly imagine ever having the thickness of iii you quote in your signature -- but in my experience and with my personal head of hair, it LOOKS thicker if I have layers than it does if I do not. It doesn't feel any thinner to me this way, either, probably because I have very thin hair anyhow. (: Zombi, it's only a iii thickness when it's been freshly washed and maybe on second day as well. After that it starts dropping. On wash day it's usually a highish thickness of ii (3.75" circumference). From what I remember of my teenage hair, that was definitely a thickness of iii and part of me wants that thickness back, which is part of my reason for growing out these layers.

spidermom
December 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I wanted to point out that even when my hair was "all one length", I still had ends sticking out all over the place because of the shed and regrow cycle. There's no such thing as neat braids, layers or no layers, on this head. But I'd still like my tie-off to not slide off the ends of my braids so easily.

DinaAG
December 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM
i got layers and i love them, may be it affects how my hair will look when measured but i love them makes my hair looks alive :)

HintOfMint
December 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
So so true! I'm currently growing out my layers because they were buried throughout the hair from ear down to mbl (aka thinning shears, not my choice btw), so i cant just trim them. Fortunately they're almost all gone, however they are all in need of trimming and my ends do look thin and damaged. I'm not yet ready to cut off the 3 inches of layers plus an inch or 2 to rid damage and splits on those hairs.

With all that, a 2/3 year growing out horror story, I still adore layers! I think if they are cut well and not buried, then they lay very well and are easy to maintain/trim. They give great body to my wurls and are worth going to the best to get them. If everything goes wrong then that's a couple years of unhappiness over your hair so it's really worth spending money and time on. My curls look so sad and limp without them.

Oh and if you have 2 year old buried layers that have never been trimmed, be aware they matte so horridly. Tangles errywhere and velcro, oh gosh i hate them so much, i wish i could cut but keep length :'(

In reply to the bolded part, I've been nervous about my own layers for that reason. The hairdresser took these notched scissors and snipped blended layers into my hair. On one hand, it really took the bulk out of my hair and made it lie nicely. On the other hand, it made me worry about trims since I wouldn't be able to trim away any damage from the shorter layers since they're blended right into a longer length.
I don't regret my hairdresser thinning out my hair, but I'm going to be on the look out for this. In any case, most of my damage is in the underlayer, so I have a targeted place to S&D. My middle lengths don't get damaged at nearly the same rate. So far, my hair is fine but it's only been 4 months.

goldloli
December 13th, 2012, 06:55 AM
In reply to the bolded part, I've been nervous about my own layers for that reason. The hairdresser took these notched scissors and snipped blended layers into my hair. On one hand, it really took the bulk out of my hair and made it lie nicely. On the other hand, it made me worry about trims since I wouldn't be able to trim away any damage from the shorter layers since they're blended right into a longer length.
I don't regret my hairdresser thinning out my hair, but I'm going to be on the look out for this. In any case, most of my damage is in the underlayer, so I have a targeted place to S&D. My middle lengths don't get damaged at nearly the same rate. So far, my hair is fine but it's only been 4 months.
That's exactly what they did to mine, it did look good. For around a year it wasn't a problem, then the tangles started. unfortunatley they were from ear to mbl, so a couple years grow out at least, even now i still have a few inches left. I s&d about 5x per week but it makes no difference because i high heat styled and everything back then. They just look kinda ratty/thin ends and not like layers were there at all. Same as you, my midlengths are healthy, my underlayer damages from even rubbing on clothes, and because if the layers my canopy is velcro.

I'd really recommend you protect those ends now so they don't end up like mine in a years time. Catnip is awesome!

HintOfMint
December 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM
That's exactly what they did to mine, it did look good. For around a year it wasn't a problem, then the tangles started. unfortunatley they were from ear to mbl, so a couple years grow out at least, even now i still have a few inches left. I s&d about 5x per week but it makes no difference because i high heat styled and everything back then. They just look kinda ratty/thin ends and not like layers were there at all. Same as you, my midlengths are healthy, my underlayer damages from even rubbing on clothes, and because if the layers my canopy is velcro.

I'd really recommend you protect those ends now so they don't end up like mine in a years time. Catnip is awesome!

Fortunately I hardly ever heat style and I'm relatively gentle with my hair, so hopefully I'll avoid the same outcome. I've heard so many good things about catnip, when I have the time, I may try it!
I really don't want to get rid of my blended layers, my hair just doesn't look good long without them. Imagine triangle head ALL THE WAY DOWN TO MY HIPS. Did I traumatize you? Good :p

goldloli
December 13th, 2012, 08:54 AM
lol! yes you must try catnip, even left on for 5 mins between shampoo and co makes all the different for me. I'm still getting layers again, i think next time i'll get ones like ultrabella as we have similar hair, also those can be trimmed by a stylist easily. you should be fine though.