PDA

View Full Version : significant other help with your hair

hotshot0121
December 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hello i am sorta new to this board. i have been lurking around but have now finally decided to post. i was just wondering how many of you have significant others that help take care of your hair? Not too long ago i learned how to braid and french braid. i wanted to learn so that i could help take care of my future girlfriend or wife's hair since i like long hair.

SnowyDream
December 11th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yes my hubby does help me with my hair. He helps me cut it when it needs it and gives me scalp massages, he's also wanting to learn how to braid and french braid hair so he can help me with that also.

spidermom
December 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm a do-it-yourselfer. It makes me tense when DH wants to do something with my hair (which is seldom - thank goodness!).

Narya
December 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM
My BF never showed any interest in helping me with my hair, he just reads the measure tape when I ask him too (and cleans the vacuum, which can be pretty hairy too!).
I'd love it if he wanted to help, but he does not have the patience or interest, so there's no point in asking.

pogo0685
December 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
My DH does not like helping me with my hair at all, but he does it if I ask him, and then he complains about it and says if I just left it alone and stopped worrying about it I would be better off. In the last year I made him cut off all my growth to get my damage off and to get the henna out, but this year I am not trimming at all, just going to do S&D and he thinks I am NUTS when he sees me doing that. As far as braiding my hair, that will never happen, although it would be nice if it did....

millyaulait
December 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Not me - I don't think I would trust him to! :lol:

However... I do find the idea of someone brushing my hair (delicately and correctly!) very sweet, comforting & romantic.

I love brushing my SO's hair, I'm not sure why... It's just a loving, intimate, personal thing to me?

I guess if I knew he would be extra gentle I would love him to brush mine or make a braid for me or something like that... :crush:

furnival
December 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
That's really sweet. I wish my SO would do something like that- I love people playing with my hair, it makes me go all sleepy and cross-eyed with pleasure.
The most my fellow ever does is express alarm at the places he's found clumps of my hair and every year or so exclaim in surprise that I've suddenly got a 'right massive mop' on my head. ;)

kaydana
December 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
millyaulait - Do you have a BBB? They're perfect for letting other people brush your hair without needing to worry about them being too rough. Just make sure you detangle your hair yourself first.

akilina
December 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
The farthest my BF will go is taking a picture of my hair...and it is like pulling teeth just to get him to do that and he always makes fun of me!
In his mind, I think hes too manly to think it would be okay for him to know how to braid hair. Which of course, is very silly..but whatever makes him happy haha!
I think he has braided my hair once to try it because it looked "so hard to do" it was floppy and funny and I took it out :)
I don't really feel it necessary for him to pamper my hair. I can go without. Some women will agree, others love it. And while I do like it when my scalp is massaged or hair is played with I realized way early on that I was never going to get that treatment so I got over it.

Actually come to think of it...hes pretty mean towards my hair and has made comments like "you have the thinnest hair I have ever seen in my whole life" (Which is a HUGE lie) :/

itdontmatter48
December 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I wish my SO would help sometimes, since he is the reason I have long hair. :-)

Kristen121
December 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Unless your count not leaving the store without me when I spend 20 minutes reading the ingredients of shampoo/conditioner/styling products before selecting one to purchase, DH doesn't do anything to help with my hair.

millyaulait
December 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
millyaulait - Do you have a BBB? They're perfect for letting other people brush your hair without needing to worry about them being too rough. Just make sure you detangle your hair yourself first.

I do! It's a possibility, but he isn't really the touchy-feely type. He would probably ask me why I couldn't just brush it myself! :lol: :p

Romance, eh? ;)

JadeTigress
December 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
My bf doesn't do anything, either. He'll help me when I'm trying to measure, and he's helped me a couple times when I'm making DIY stuff (while telling me how weird I am), but that's about the extent of it. I wish he'd play with my hair, but that'll never happen.

kaydana
December 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I do! It's a possibility, but he isn't really the touchy-feely type. He would probably ask me why I couldn't just brush it myself! :lol: :p

Romance, eh? ;)

He might ask the first time, but he's unlikely to ask more than once. If you're lucky he'll figure out pretty quickly that you like it and start offering to brush it for you without you needing to say anything. It can't hurt to ask!

WilfredAllen
December 11th, 2012, 12:57 PM
He provides moral support when I get frustrated with it growing sooooo slow >.< hehe does that count?

jeanniet
December 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hubby is not allowed anywhere near my hair! Last time he did anything with it--long story, but suffice to say I had lice, didn't know it, was booted from salon with cut already started, so I asked hubby to finish the cut until I could get rid of the lice and get the cut fixed--one side was 2" longer than the other. So he is definitely persona non grata when it comes to hair.

melusine963
December 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I prefer dealing with my hair myself, but there are three things I will have to ask my SO to help with: trimming, measuring, and photographing. I haven't had occasion to ask yet, so I do wonder what his reaction will be when I do...

jacqueline101
December 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Mine just pets my hair tells me it looks great. Then calls it my project.

trolleypup
December 11th, 2012, 06:41 PM
S&D, and occasional braiding or such.

shutterpillar
December 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I tried to teach my husband how to braid, but it didn't work out too well. He can do a basic english braid, but it is not near tight enough for my layers to stay in place. He will get it one of these days. :)

He brushes it every so often, which is nice. The sweetest thing is when he brushes our daughter's hair.

dwell_in_safety
December 11th, 2012, 07:01 PM
My girlfriend takes my hair down, gives me a small scalp massage, and detangles my hair with her fingers every night. She is very gentle and is the only other person I trust to touch my hair. :3

dancingrain91
December 11th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Lol. My boyfriend helps me tangle my hair. He literally reaches up and musses it until it's in it's "crazy state" and then I have to spend twenty minutes detangling it. Usually though we just jump in the shower and he gets to help me condition it so that I can detangle it easier. That's the "help" I get. Maybe I should take some of the ideas here and let him run through it with a boar's bristle brush at night after I detangle it.

Gumball
December 11th, 2012, 08:19 PM
The SO helps when I get frustrated if my hair tangles or gets wrapped up in itself. She'll help gently get all of that mess sorted out. She'll also help do my hair if there's time and I ask for help with something since I can't do a ton to my own hair. Outside of a few buns and a few braided 'dos.

Most of the help I give her is braiding her hair before we go to bed. She doesn't really ask for much so my braiding abilities don't get put to a whole lot of use. Darn! :lol:

We both give each other trims now and then when our hair gets to that "I really need one" point.

froglet
December 11th, 2012, 10:40 PM
My husband does my measuring, and never loses patience with my "are you sure that's right, is my hair flat down?" and other such measuring comments. He will also do my photos, but I usually just do them in the mirror myself as he is often busy. He used to comb my hair, but hasn't since I buzzed it, however it's getting long enough again so I'll have to mention it. He will also trim my hair for me and he usually does a pretty good job of it, he's even given me a bob haircut once when I was growing out the buzz.

hotshot0121
January 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
I was just curious how many of you have significant others who help you take care of your hair such as styling. I recently learned how to French braid from one of my exes and would like to one day have a girlfriend who would let me help with her hair(braiding).

moxamoll
January 23rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
The Consort will help with measuring and pictures. If I ask nicely, he'll hold toys or pieces of hair while I do an updo. He likes to try and brush it sometimes, but needs a bit more training! It funny though, he can English braid, say, three pieces of yarn, but the "multiple" nature of hair freaks him out and he can't do it. LOL

Vanille_
January 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
My DH won't style my hair, but he has dyed it for me a couple of times.

melusine963
January 23rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
He likes to try and brush it sometimes, but needs a bit more training! It funny though, he can English braid, say, three pieces of yarn, but the "multiple" nature of hair freaks him out and he can't do it. LOL

Mine too. :) He'll get there eventually, I'm sure.

sweetestday
January 23rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Mine does all my trims.

Chromis
January 23rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Why don't you tell us about *your* hair?

hotshot0121
January 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Why don't you tell us about *your* hair?

Well my hair is short unfortunately. I work as an airplane pilot and consequently have to keep my hair short and neat. One these days ill grow my hair out but right now I can't.

Tota
January 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
I don't really need his help. Maybe someday, but right now, I'm the hair "expert" here:) The only thing he does for me hairwise is to take my length pics. I cut and style his Hobbit hair though. I make his crazy curls all shiny and bouncy :heart:

Chromis
January 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hey, I thought this topic looked familiar!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109177&highlight=significant

shutterpillar
January 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Just last night I had my husband help with my trim (slid the ponytail holder down as described in Feye's instructions for the straight across trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/).) After I trimmed it, I had him brush my hair and make sure the hemline was straight.

He is not the best braider or stylist, so I do that myself. :P He doesn't mind brushing or doing scalp massages, though. :)

akilina
January 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109177&highlight=significant

O_o

10characters

Vrindi
January 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Trims. Head massages. :) He's there if I need any kind of help, whether it's my hair or anything else. :)

Sadie
January 23rd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Mine trims my hair and helps me measuring my ponytail circumference from time to time.
I make the ponytail and he wraps the measuring tape around it, then I hold it still while he takes pics with his phone.
Sometimes he braids my hair too and I love it, I wish he would ask me to brush it too :crush:

faellen
January 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Wish my OH knew anything about hair! He used to have long hair when he was younger but he's really clueless about styling, haha. I may have to teach him how to french braid as I can't do one on my own hair without my arms aching.

LadyLongLocks
January 23rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Yes he helps me. Trims,measures, takes photos and went to a GM Salon with me and sat 8 hrs while the whole process was done!

sparrowswing
January 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
Not really. There are a few things he's tried to help with, but it usually ends up with me getting frustrating and just doing it myself. He says he wants to learn how to help with my hair, but then he won't take any direction and just wants to do everything his own way. Which generally means ripping a brush through my hair or tying it into knots when he tries to braid it. Even after watching me brush and braid my hair hundreds of times. He tried taking my length shots once as well, but they were all out-of-focus and half didn't even show my hair. I get far more consistent results using the timer on my camera and just setting it on the porch railing.

MegaMystery
January 23rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
My bf checks if my trims are straight, and that's about it. I don't think he'll ever braid or brush my hair, and I don't think I would want him to. Just yesterday he showed me this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOyBWs6IJo) and expressed that that would be a really good idea for when he had kids. I just stared in horror :D

kmoc123
January 23rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
He does NOT help with mine (44 inches btw), but I DO his every morning (his is BSL...he hates that term, lol). I think that having really long hair intimidates most people. No one in my family will even play with it. :(

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2013, 05:09 PM
Mine is supportive but doesn't do my hair.

rtree721
January 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
I don't really want my bfs help with my hair. I love him dearly but he has very rough, calloused skin on his finger tips and often jagged nails... because he plays guitar and also he uses his fingers at work to rip open card board boxes. So I think he would probably damage my hair. But he would take a picture for me if I asked him to, and the rest I would rather do myself. Now that I think about it, I don't really like it when anyone touches/styles my hair.

SugarPlumDreams
January 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM
Vrindi and Sadie - Your SOs are so sweet! :inlove:

Mine will help take pictures of my hair, but he thinks I'm a weirdo for doing so lol. He likes to help me oil my hair. He enjoys picking out which essential oil we'll use :) When it was longer, he'd brush it, but he's a big strong fellow and gentleness can be a relative concept :p

dwell_in_safety
January 23rd, 2013, 07:26 PM
My girlfriend takes my hair down and detangles it with her fingers every night. She also gives me nightly scalp massages. :)

hotshot0121
January 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM
It's great to hear that so many SO's help out. :)

Aeris
January 24th, 2013, 10:21 AM
My husband braided my hair for bed twice before :) it takes a while, but he is very gentle and careful, and does a great job. I wish I could get him to do it every night :p
My dad used to brush and braid my hair for me when I was a little kid, and I really hope that if I have a daughter someday, she can have the same experience.

He often gives me mini-scalp massages too, I'm very lucky!

Long_hair_bear
January 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM
No, but I help my hubby with his! I oil it for him and brush it for him and put hishair in a pony tail. :)

hotshot0121
January 24th, 2013, 11:46 AM
aeris that's awesome that your SO does that for you and your daughter. That's the reason I learned how to braid.

long_hair_bear your husband is quite lucky to have you.

melusine963
January 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Yes he helps me. Trims,measures, takes photos and went to a GM Salon with me and sat 8 hrs while the whole process was done!

Now that's dedication! Congratulations on finding such a great husband. :)

Carolyn
January 24th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I can't think of a reason why I would want or need help.

hotshot0121
January 24th, 2013, 09:26 PM
My husband braided my hair for bed twice before :) it takes a while, but he is very gentle and careful, and does a great job. I wish I could get him to do it every night :p
My dad used to brush and braid my hair for me when I was a little kid, and I really hope that if I have a daughter someday, she can have the same experience.

He often gives me mini-scalp massages too, I'm very lucky!

That is absolutely adorable. I'm sure you love it when he braids your hair. I learned how to braid so I could that for my future wife. :)

Angela_Rose
January 24th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Giant Boyfriend likes to pat my hair, but he hasn't ever volunteered to help with it.

I love to put my head in his lap and have him stroke my head/hair. I feel like a beloved puppy. :D

I'm his helper, actually, even though his hair is maybe 3/4" long. He loves head skritches and scalp rubs, so that's my job.

truepeacenik
January 24th, 2013, 10:39 PM

Errrr...same thread. Seriously, that is page one, but i am backing up your hunch here.

Seeshami
January 24th, 2013, 11:25 PM
My dad use to braid our hair for us, it was funny because we would ask for french braids and he would always do them dutch so you could see the braid, his handy work. It would become a conversation of "No Daddy, it needs to NOT outside in braid on my head." Of course back then cloths that where to small where "to fit" and a single item of clothing was a "clo" and heaven forbid if there was a "Noop" to be found. I am still pretty psycho about noops though.

Muffin helps The Naughty Mess, be tangly. The Naughty Mess thinks Muffin is awesome and always allowed to help and I think oh *bleep* no, I would rather not be missing clumps.

hotshot0121
January 25th, 2013, 05:37 AM
My dad use to braid our hair for us, it was funny because we would ask for french braids and he would always do them dutch so you could see the braid, his handy work.

Haha sounds like you have a great father.

thenewstephie
January 25th, 2013, 06:53 AM
My husband buys the things I want and doesn't look at me crazy anymore when I put food items in my hair and walk around with a plastic bag on my head, so that's good enough for me. He has long hair too though and I trim his and braid his every day before he goes out. He would try to help me with mine if I ask him to, but I'm afraid he'd be too rough. He's offered to brush my hair sometimes, but he's a little rough with his own so I decline gracefully.

Kwantslonghair
January 25th, 2013, 06:55 AM
No. He just tells me every day to cut it. He hates it.

MasCat
January 25th, 2013, 07:41 AM
he says we'l celebrate when I reach 1m, he is supportive.

When I told him I will teach him to put it up with a hairstick (oer a messanger) he emoted :} so well, it turns out he likes to put it up and detangle it :) With my tangleteezer and some direction he is not only gentle, but effective :)

Chromis
January 25th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Errrr...same thread. Seriously, that is page one, but i am backing up your hunch here.

Dang, could have sworn I'd found a second thread from just a year ago and now of course, I can't seem to find it again. Or else we have another airline pilot here who wants to help his future wife (who will of course have long hair)...

And no OP, my significant other does not help me with my hair styling and neither does anyone else.

melusine963
January 25th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Dang, could have sworn I'd found a second thread from just a year ago and now of course, I can't seem to find it again. Or else we have another airline pilot here who wants to help his future wife (who will of course have long hair)...

There were two threads, both started by the same OP. They've now been merged into one (perhaps by the mods?), so my comment from the original thread and the later one both appear in this thread now. It's a bit confusing.

Chromis
January 25th, 2013, 09:05 AM
There were two threads, both started by the same OP. They've now been merged into one (perhaps by the mods?), so my comment from the original thread and the later one both appear in this thread now. It's a bit confusing.

Ah! So I'm not going crazy! I recall being very confused by the first thread because he said he was new to the board...yet with a join date of 2009.

melusine963
January 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Ah! So I'm not going crazy! I recall being very confused by the first thread because he said he was new to the board...yet with a join date of 2009.

Yeah, it seems he joined in 2009 but never posted until recently. I guess there are a lot of lurkers on this site. :) The earlier post was dated November or December last year (can't remember which).

BranwenWolf
January 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM
When mine was long I tried to get an ex to help me brush. He couldn't even master a tangle teezer. I just give up...
I think I had another ex do a couple strands with the flat iron for me that I couldn't really get to, and it wasn't too bad.

ETA: Oh, is this thread necromancy?

alexis917
January 25th, 2013, 09:44 AM
My boyfriend likes to brush my hair.
I'm trying to teach him to braid!

ladylowtide
January 25th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Mine helps. I constantly pester him for pictures of my buns so I know what they look like on the back of my head. He also reads the measuring tape and occasionally says something encouraging about my progress. Not much of a brusher though. He has however promised to come with me to the salon when I finally trim it, so he can observe what the person is doing behind me and be a simultaneously menacing and supportive presence that ensures it gets done right :)

Unofficial_Rose
January 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM

For some reason the song "Things that make you go Hmm" is running through my head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxlzFbYfHY ;)

Chromis
January 25th, 2013, 02:20 PM
For some reason the song "Things that make you go Hmm" is running through my head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxlzFbYfHY ;)

Oh I do love a good earworm! :disco:

Unofficial_Rose
January 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
:D Hehe!

(can't select quote after opening post, dang!)

Falcore
January 25th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Mine takes pictures when I ask. He likes to touch my hair and to brush it, but not anymore! He just doesn't grasp the meaning of the word gentle. It does not compute!

teal
January 25th, 2013, 09:38 PM
He will comb it and sometimes he asks to, but I think he's afraid of hurting me. I don't think he knows how to braid. He likes to put his hands in it and look at it. He said last night that he is "totally on board with the henna", lol. The end result, that is, not the dirty work, though he's quite happy to keep the kids occupied while said dirty work is being performed.

AnqeIicDemise
January 25th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Mine detangles and braids my hair when my carpal tunnel acts up too much. He'll begrudgingly take pictures if I ask enough.

EdG
January 26th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Well my hair is short unfortunately. I work as an airplane pilot and consequently have to keep my hair short and neat. One these days ill grow my hair out but right now I can't.Oh well. :(

I was the longest-haired person on the plane the other day. I may have even been the longest-haired person in the airport. :grin:

My experience with my former girlfriend was that untangling another person's hair doesn't work very well... the nerve endings need to be on the same person doing the untangling.
Ed

rowie
January 26th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Pretty much what a lot of people in this thread are saying, which is to "Search and destroy" any split ends. In answer to your question " i was just wondering how many of you have significant others that help take care of your hair," well, I'm so very lucky that my partner does all the hard work to apply henna on my hair. It's been so helpful because it keeps me from messing up the bathroom really bad! So if your love one does some kind of ritual of applying something to their hair, then that would be a tremendous help if you can offer any help.

PraiseCheeses
January 26th, 2013, 11:20 PM
My DBF doesn't judge me for occasionally talking about "[my] hair forum" and Internet strangers about whom I care. :)

He trims my hair for me every few months, he's taken a few pictures, and before I had major neck surgery he made me an ebony needle so I could sew twin braids to my head with ribbon.

He tried to learn how to braid it, but his method was "cross strands at ends, pull apart to tighten plait" like pulling a ponytail apart to slide the hair tie closer to one's head. It made me cringe every time, but I was grateful so I didn't say anything. Luckily I could do a side braid on myself a week after the surgery. :lol: I was still grateful he was willing.

He doesn't actively love my hair. I wish he'd really be into it and be excited by it, and complain when I trim it, but it's long for me, not him, and I'm more than content with him acknowledging its importance to me and just letting me do my thing and be who I am. :crush:

Scarlet_Heart
January 27th, 2013, 06:41 AM
DH does straight-across trims for me.

mzBANGBANG
January 27th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I don't mean to offend you... But did you come here looking for a girlfriend? Lol. This post strikes me as vaguely creepy and possibly of ill intent toward our members. And I'm really shocked that no one has bluntly stated this after 8 pages.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Nope, nope, and nope. He is neutral about my hair. I am trying to teach him to spot hair toys at antique shops though because four eyes are better than two.

hotshot0121
January 31st, 2013, 06:49 PM
I don't mean to offend you... But did you come here looking for a girlfriend? Lol. This post strikes me as vaguely creepy and possibly of ill intent toward our members. And I'm really shocked that no one has bluntly stated this after 8 pages.

No I did not come here looking for a girlfriend. I'm sorry if i sounded creepy and weird. I was simply just curious if others had help from their significant others in taking care of their hair since that is what I would like to do.

kallarina
January 31st, 2013, 10:14 PM
Wow. I'm always really surprised when people here are so hostile towards men who talk about their significant others and their hair. Wome all over this forum talk about their significant others and his hair and whatever else and no one thinks its weird. I'd hate to be a man on this forum, it's like they're all guilty until proven innocent.

PixieKitten
February 1st, 2013, 02:06 AM
My DBF brushes my hair occassionally, and I do his. He asks me to braid his sometimes, as he's also growing his out.
I have to put my hair up if his nan visits though, as she inists on brushing it if it's down and she's quite rough! o_o

UpNorth
February 1st, 2013, 02:46 AM
He brushes my hair when I ask him and he looks like he is happy to do it. I trim my hair myself, but he always helps me make the hem more even and he is doing a great job.

Chromis
February 1st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Wow. I'm always really surprised when people here are so hostile towards men who talk about their significant others and their hair. Wome all over this forum talk about their significant others and his hair and whatever else and no one thinks its weird. I'd hate to be a man on this forum, it's like they're all guilty until proven innocent.

It's more that he has started two threads (now merged) on the subject and most of his posts are about the same thing too. I would be just as suspicious without knowing the gender! Most people talk about more than just one thing on a forum like this.

Bagginslover
February 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM
It's more that he has started two threads (now merged) on the subject and most of his posts are about the same thing too. I would be just as suspicious without knowing the gender! Most people talk about more than just one thing on a forum like this.

I agree. I also find it very strange that he is asking for advice on caring for the long hair of someone he hasn't even met yet.

Angel_Abby
February 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
I agree. I also find it very strange that he is asking for advice on caring for the long hair of someone he hasn't even met yet.

I'll admit this one occurred to me as well.

Its one thing to search and inquire on say- a dog you plan on getting. You want to find out all you can. But he has said he has no intention of ever growing his hair due to occupational standards. So its basically like going on a dog forum and stating your intentions to poll a forum because you may marry someone who likes dogs one day.

:confused:

Braidmaid
February 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM
I consider myself incredibly blessed! My DH is very supportive of my hair and the reasons I'm growing it long. We met when I was going through a crisis regarding my hair (a long story). He has learned to help me take care of it. He even has learned to french braid. My favorite is when he does a fishtail braid. He is even more gentle than I am! Again, I consider myself blessed!

Khiwanean
February 1st, 2013, 12:57 PM
I help with my significant other's hair more than he does with mine! That may have something to do with the fact that he's not gentle enough on hair for my standards. And he's flat out ignorant in the styling department. He'd probably be happy to help smear stuff on my hair as long as it was nothing too far out there. I just do treatments so rarely that he doesn't have much of a chance to help with that.

Oh gosh this! (bolding mine):

That's really sweet. I wish my SO would do something like that- I love people playing with my hair, it makes me go all sleepy and cross-eyed with pleasure.
The most my fellow ever does is express alarm at the places he's found clumps of my hair and every year or so exclaim in surprise that I've suddenly got a 'right massive mop' on my head. ;)
DBF: *finds a strand of my hair wrapped around his arm* What the heck!? She isn't even here!!! *flails to get the clinging strand off of himself*

eresh
February 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM
My husband used to have long hair and I would frenchbraid his hair almost every day.
Now he has a shaved head due to his new job.

He trims my hair every 3 months (+ the combing involved) and sometimes helps me take pictures.