PDA

View Full Version : hair conversations

spirals
December 11th, 2012, 12:33 AM
The other thread got archived. It was great, and I want to add one of mine from work today.

I was talking to my supervisor about a customer's daughter wanting to have really long hair by next year so she could be Rapunzel for Hallowe'en. I was saying to her that I just wanted to be Rapunzel as I was going out into the hallway. My coworker was coming down the hallway and overheard me and asked, "What do you want to do?" I told him I wanted it really long like Rapunzel and he immediately joked, "If you do, can I climb it?" My mental reaction was LOL, what?!? I responded, without skipping a beat, "Yes, you can." Then he got even weirder and told me he'd only climb it if I made it into a rope. :lol: I had no idea he was so goofy.

WaitingSoLong
December 11th, 2012, 05:33 AM
LOL that sound a bit awkward. Can he climb it? LOL. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

DH is the only one I have hair conversation with. With most other people it is just passing comments. I am trying to think of one and I am coming up blank.

The other day my mom was telling me how I had nothing but "peach fuzz" the first two years of my life (indeed, I looked like a little boy) and then she said "who would have ever guessed you would have the hair you have today" then she described it as long and beautiful and, and something...luxurious? Fancy? Drat I cannot recall the adjective. It was touching, my mom has NEVER EVER talked about my hair, complimented or mentioned it. I was beginning to think she was afraid of it LOL.

blaketob
December 11th, 2012, 10:58 AM
My best friend and I will talk about our hair for HOURS! Her mom thinks its hysterical because she just doesn't get it. We'll sit there and exchange our new progress, new routines, any new experiments that we have tried, etc. I can't really have hair conversations with anyone else but her because no one knows what it means to really try and grow out your hair. lol

millyaulait
December 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I had my bestie over a few weeks ago and I had gone SO LONG without dyeing my roots...

Anyway, I told her how I was growing my hair long & she told me 'You know, you should really get a few inches taken off, that way your hairs' *growth receptors* will kick in and make it grow faster and you'll be at your goal way quicker. I mean, you haven't had a hair cut in.. what.. A YEAR?.. Oh dear, yeah, no way your hair is going to grow long if you aren't cutting it!' :p

I'm pretty sure all my root growth proved that I didn't really need any help with my... erm... growth receptors. :lol:

woolyleprechaun
December 11th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that everyone IRL thinks I'm insane. I did have a brief convo with a girl from college the other day, though. She mentioned that she was almost totaly bald due to traction alopecia inflicted on her as a child, and wore a wig. I suggested that a bit of castor oil on her scalp couldn't hurt, as it had cured most of my (admittedly mild) alopicia. She looked at my head and said 'You mean thats all yours?!' which made me giggle a little. I hope she gives the oil a go :(

Tota
December 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM
My mom always told me that my hair is too thin and fine to look good long. Everytime my hair got to shoulder length she made me cut it. But my eight years younger sister always had long hair. Her hair is very thick and stick straight and very low maintenance so maybe she let her have it long because of that. Water under the bridge now... But what is funny now is that my mom is always checking out my hair, looking at it, admiring the colour, the waves, and always asking: Is your hair as long as your sister's yet? (No, mom, I can't go from BSL to TBL over night lol). So I said to her the other day: "Well maybe if you let me have long hair when I was a kid my hair would be longer now?" She answered "Sorry, honey, I just couldn't deal with it. Your hair is too complicated for me. I'm just glad it's behaving now." I just lost my ability to speak. Complicated hair? Behaving now? Hahaha. Just because it's not stick straight like everyone else in my family has it, it doesn't mean my hair cannot "behave".

jacqueline101
December 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
One of my mental health clients asked me if I took hair growth steroids. I said no. I looked in the mirror my hair seems like it grew an inch.

Rivanariko
December 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I talk hair with a few of my closer friends, but it's not a huge subject for me. Mostly the longer conversations happen if they're trying to grow out and want advice.

The most common conversation I have is definitely "Is that stick ALL that's holding up your hair??" that one still makes me giggle.

spirals
December 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Two coworkers are surprised 1 stick will hold up all my hair.

HintOfMint
December 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
My roomie isn't on LHC but she has some LHC tendencies, so we can talk about hair quite a bit. Shea butter, wearing our hair in our natural textures, being perceived differently based on color (she's a blonde, so she's got that experience covered), pros and cons of layering, the "hairdresser's inch"... etc., have all been covered at great length.