PDA

View Full Version : Hairstylist ruined my hair, lost about 12 inches total

4C4rly4
December 10th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'll start from the beginning. A month ago, my hair was about a centimeter away from being waist length. But the ends were getting bad, plus I wanted to even out the length since I had so many layers, so I went to get it trimmed about 3 to 4 inches. And that was fine; it turned out nice, and my hair looked much healthier. I still had a few layers though.
However, even after that cut, I still had so many split ends and damaged hair (I would have to rip apart the tangles, it was really bad), so last week I finally decided to just go for it and cut it all the way to my shoulder so I could start fresh.

Bad idea. I asked for a very subtle A-line cut at my shoulder, but, #1 - my stylist cut it shorter than my shoulder, and #2 - he cut all these weird, uneven layers in the back. It looked fine at the salon because I didn't get it blow-dried - I just went straight home. I got home, washed my hair and blow-dried it, and then I noticed how horrible the cut was. It didn't even look like a haircut! It just looked like some kid attempted to cut my hair.

It looked so bad, so I decided to fix it. Another bad idea (and not because I messed it up - I actually made it look better). It's just that I cut it even shorter, but it still didn't really look like a decent haircut, so I went to my friend's stylist so he could fix it. He said that I actually did a great job cutting the back by myself! :cool: He just needed to touch up a few parts and make it a bit more even so he generously did it for free.

So now, my hair is extremely short (13 inches) - I haven't had it this length since I was 5. It's 3 inches above my shoulder, and it's even shorter in the back since it's an A-line bob. I feel so sorry for myself - my goal length was waist length, then classic length - now my goal is shoulder length. It's going to take so long to reach classic. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Do you guys have any stories like this where you had to start all over? How about any bad haircut stories?

Also, do you guys recommend any foods, drinks, vitamins, or anything else that can help speed up my hair growth? I know Monistat really helps, but I'm still scared to try it because I've heard of some side effects. Plus, I don't know if there are any long term side effects, so I don't want to risk it.

turtlelover
December 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Well, if that picture is the too short cut, at least it is a cute one for now! I know that probably doesn't make you feel better, but I thought I would say it anyway!

AutumnLocks
December 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I would probably be upset too. However, the cut is very becoming to you! I know lots of people here on LHC are big fans of Monistat but IMO I would stay away from it. It is a drug. Even though you can buy it over the counter it is still a drug and as such it has side effects. All drugs do even Tylenol and sometimes side effects can be very unpleasant. Try some scalp massages, make sure you are getting enough protein, good quality protein too. Not just beans. Have some eggs and cheese and if you are not a vegan, chicken and fish too. Make sure you are getting enough fat in your diet. Contrary to popular thinking these days we need plenty of fat in our diets. Try adding some coconut oil to your diet. It has a lot of great health benefits when you eat it.
It won't be long till your hair is back to shoulder length....not as long as you think.

prismfaerie
December 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Well, if that picture is the too short cut, at least it is a cute one for now! I know that probably doesn't make you feel better, but I thought I would say it anyway!

I agree :) You look nice.
At least it's better to wait for healthy hair, than to have classic-length hair in less-than good condition.
Though we all aim for long, healthy hair here, IMHO it's still better to have short, healthy hair than long damaged hair.
On a whim I had my hair permed curly once. Because it looked bad i had it permed straight only 3 months later. (This was all pre-LHC, of course).
I ended up cutting out 12 inches of hair :'(

Be strong! You'll reach your goal eventually!

rtree721
December 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Oh my gosh I am so sorry that happened to you. On the bright side, that haircut looks good on you and you now have a fresh new start to growing long, healthy hair.

renia22
December 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM
It does look very nice on you. At least Tyra Banks didn't cut it (haha, did you see the videos from the other thread?)

4C4rly4
December 10th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone :]
I don't completely hate the cut, and in a way I don't regret it because I've been kind of curious for a while to see what short hair would look like on me. So at least now I know!
And it's funny, I've been getting mixed comments about the new hair. Some say it's cute, some think it doesn't suit my personality. I personally think that it looks cute sometimes, but then after looking at it for a while, I agree with those who say that it doesn't suit me because my personality isn't really "cute" or "girly". I'd look better with an edgy cut, or just plain long hair. But again, another plus is that I can start fresh!

@renia22: Thank you, and no, which videos? :bigeyes:

akilina
December 10th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience :( A lot of stylists do not do strong A Lines and will fake it. This is NOT a haircut that should be "faked" at all. They can go very wrong if the stylist doesn't feel like they are strong in that hair cut. I worked for Satan ( wait no...she was worse than satan) but at least the one thing she taught me was how to do an amazing a-line!

It sounds like the ending of your story isn't complete despair..especially since you got to go to a stylist that could fix it and make it look good, and it is a great fresh start. You can only move forward from it now :) And think of all the damage that is finally gone now.

princess007
December 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM
It does look cute. I agree with previous person when it comes to the A-line and getting someone who really knows how to cut it correctly so it lays right. I wore my hair in an A line for years. I would get different variations of it as far as length and how dramatic I wanted the angle. I had some beautiful cuts and would have random people stop me to tell me how much they loved my hair. I also had some horrible cuts that made me cry....literally.

My worst hair experience was when I completely fried my hair from too much color and highlights (it was breaking off in chunks). I was actually wanting to grow out my hair. I had short hair for so many years and I wanted to grow it out. My hair got to about shoulder length but it was soooooo damaged that it looked terrible no matter what I did to it. So I finally took the plunge last year, April 2011. I got it all cut off into a pixie.....and i mean a pixie....1 inch long all over. It has taken a year and a half to get here (a few inches below shoulder) and I have had haircuts about every 4-6 months to keep it from looking like a mullett. Even though I hate that I had to literally start super short but in the long run, I am glad. I would rather take an extra year or so of growing to have long HEALTHY hair instead of long raggedy looking hair.

Amygirl8
December 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
For what it's worth I think it looks nice on you.
Although I really sympathize, I've had my share of going into a salon (or worse, the kitchen chair) with one idea and coming out with hair half a foot or a whole foot shorter because the stylist (or my mom) had a different idea >.<
At least you get to start fresh now, plus since all the ends are blunt and healthy you'll be getting a lot of quick growth without losing any to breakage.
I'm sure that it'll be on it's way back to waist length soon :]

spirals
December 10th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, and it is a loss. But for what it's worth, you have ah-mazing bone structure that the cut plays up. And it looks so healthy. Love the color, too. Before you know it you'll be at shoulder and on your way to APL.

WaitingSoLong
December 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM
All I can say is that if my hair looked that good short, I would cut mine today! You definitely have the face for it and I did not see a before pic, so all I am going by is your new sig pic and you just look so beautiful and your hair looks so silky and fresh, I love it!

Agnieszka
December 11th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I hope your hair grows fast. But I have to say you look fab now!

Falcore
December 11th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Wow, your hair cut is so striking! I know it's a bummer as you want length, but you really do look great with the cut. Onwards to long lengths with fabulous ends for you. :)

kitekats
December 11th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Well... the healthier ends the better you'll feel when you get to waist length , I'm sure it won't take too long to get there, but have to say that it looks pretty good on you, reminds of 1920s:). I would recommend eating a lot of bananas, oiling(of course) and getting makeup from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries until you grow out of the style:p

Long_hair_bear
December 11th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I can totally relate! When I was in 4th grade, my mother had a stylist cut my hair so short that I looked like a little boy. It eas awful. I was teased and bullied for weeks afterwards. I now have tonsurephobia (no joke, real name) which is a phobia to hair cuts. It has scarred me for life and I would never have short hair again. Never!

Some people, however, can rock short hair and look awesome. You are one of those people! I know its not what u wanted and I cringe to hear your story though.

Ambystoma
December 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I know it's frustrating to have to regrow so much length (I had to start at chin, and maintain there until I had grown out all the damage from a bleach disaster that ruined my MBL hair), but I've got to agree with everyone so far - you really suit the bob! It looks so healthy and shiny, and you have some lovely fresh ends to baby the LHC way all the way down to classic!

spidermom
December 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I've had the same thing happen: went for a cut which turned out bad so I had to get an even shorter cut. In a way, I wish I had just worked with the bad one. Oh well, too late now. Growth happens!

rock007junkie
December 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Oh God, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Truly sucks. Love the haircut though, looks really good on you

Annibelle
December 11th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I agree with everyone else--- I'm sorry you didn't at all get what you wanted, but I'm very glad it turned out so beautiful!

millyaulait
December 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry, you do look fabulous though! :)

WilfredAllen
December 11th, 2012, 01:34 PM
:( I'm so so sorry... you have every right to be upset and feel sorry for yourself!

I've found drinking milk helps. I also spray my roots with rooibos tea, which, in my subjective opinion, helps. Also, eating healthy (fruit and veggies, protien, fats and iron) helps. So does exercising, I think. But the best thing is to forget you're growing it and focus on other projects that you'll be able to reap the rewards on sooner :p.

verylittlecarro
December 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
In August 2011 I had a very pretty and almost identical bob to the one you are rocking now, but decided to grow it out so in November I asked a hairdresser to make it slightly less A-line and more classic one length bob, with a few wispy face framing layers please.
What I got was a hack job with disconnected chunky uneven layers that was significantly shorter and not even a bob, just a random, hacked, style-less disaster. You can find the pics in a recent thread showing my one year progress.
I'm getting close to APL one year later, albeit with the same dodgy layers.
It's very disheartening, but if you can manage to avoid further cuts for as long as possible you will grow it out nicely, and you now have a lovely shape to grow from.
You do look lovely with the bob. Try to enjoy the fun in being this length if you can, as you do look very chic!

PrairieRose
December 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Your new hair cut does look nice even though it is not what you planned.
I have a bad hair cut story.
I once tried to get my mom to cut layers in my hair. She got nervous half way through and quit.
I had to go to school the next day with half cut hair. Later we had it fixed and it turned out well in the long run.

jacqueline101
December 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I went for a trim and got 3 inches cut off layers and high lights. I'm starting bsl for the second time. Only thing I found to grow hair is monistat, biotin pills, and time.

LadyLongLocks
December 11th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Now that you are starting fresh with no layers, maybe you can grow it healthier and think of reasons it may have become damaged and change your routine. Just set small goals.

SerinaDaith
December 11th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Oh the number times I have said no layers, I am a wash and go gal and I have walked out knowing I would look like a poodle far outnumber my willingness to remember. However do take heart, I was at 13 inches in May when I joined and I am at 17 or so now counting my two month stress stall and all. My measure day is the 16th so I am longer but won't cheat and measure just yet. Your hair is however super cute!

RileyJane
December 14th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Plus side: it doesnt look bad! and i completely understand how frustrating that can be, my hair has hovered around BSL but i had to cut it a lil shorter than ur length for damage free hair, le sigh. and vitamin wise: Biotin! i take 5,000 mg daily ( they have it at ur local superstore in a one pill a day version or more depending), its JUST for ur hair and even nails n skin, so thats always a plus. just drink water, tonsss of it, workout regularly (trust me, helps ur hair growth) and if you want to try the monistat thing, it really does work but i completely get the fear, i was terrified my hair was going to fall out form using it- but it worked great and i never had any side effects or felt different, if anything my hair came in shiner and felt perfect! just avoid heat and color, those were the big things for my hair to grow fast! and good luck i hope u get to ur goal :p

einna
December 14th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Oh, that is so horrible. I hope you are able to look at the bright sides to this, like so much more of your hair will be LHC-grown, and oh so healthy. And the cut does look good.

Micayla47
December 15th, 2012, 01:03 AM
i have several similar stories from the past 25 years. i'm too tired to write any of them now, but i wanted to put in my 2 cents and say that a) i agree with everyone about getting a fresh start, b) a good bob is flattering on almost everyone and c) you have a gorgeous face!

HintOfMint
December 15th, 2012, 01:25 AM
In any case, the haircut is actually really adorable and very becoming on you.

As for my own stories, I once had BSL length hair that was extremely damaged, mainly from heat although some was from rough brushing and copious amounts of hairspray. I too, bit the bullet and cut off all the damage, leaving me with collarbone length hair. I don't regret it though, I liked the cut and I was able to grow out healthy hair that looked pretty great naturally. Now my hair is tailbone length and I'm loving it.
All I can say is be patient and enjoy!

goldloli
December 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I'm sorry, you do look fabulous though! :)
haha, so much this. I'm sorry your plans went out the window but daymn that hair really suits you!!!!!!!

Wild Strawberry
December 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM
So sad. This is the reason I had my ends cut at home a few years now. Last time I even cut it myself with instructions I found here on the articles section. I did a good job, better than a hairdresser did once when it was longer on one side :confused: I was dasappointed so many times after going to a salon, by the results or the way they treated my hair without any respect, not to mention the crazy prices they charge. It's like a lottery each time, you never know what you will get.

I must also say that I was going to the same haidresser in high school and she was good, because she had long healthy hair herself so she understood me. She also made a great hairdo for my prom. But in the same salon was another haidresser who had a much different idea of a little trim, she made almost a pixie out of shoulder lenght :rolleyes:

Mayflower
December 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM
For what it's worth, you do look really good with the new haircut in your signature picture!

Lissandria
December 15th, 2012, 05:40 PM
It really sucks to lose so much length :( but it really,really suits you and just think how healthy it will grow out now- a fresh start!

Silken
December 15th, 2012, 10:07 PM
FWIW, you have a fabulous bone structure and you totally rock that cut.

4C4rly4
December 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone :D I've been getting compliments on it, so I guess it's a nice change, but I still can't wait til it grows out! :]

Vrindi
December 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM
:( I'm so sorry for your bad haircut experience. My aunt gave me a mullet when I was 8. Like, a MacGyver mullett. I wouldn't leave the house for weeks.
*And by "bad haircut experience," I really mean the experience. Your haircut is actually beautiful.

catamonica
December 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
From 09 to 2010 I tried Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo from Wall Mart. It went from just past bra length to waist. It grew fourteen inches. I added two capfuls of olive oil to the shampoo & conditioner. It had not grown since high school. It grew in my 50's. It is in the pet section in Wall Mart. Hope this helps.

maborosi
December 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Wait- is that it in your signature?

If so, wow. It looks really awesome on you. Sorry you had a bad experience, though. I'm glad you were able to fix it up! :)

I cut off about 14 or 15 inches early this year to get a fresh start. I went from WL to a bob. It's been the best thing for my hair- it's just in so much better condition. It sucks, but I am so happy with how healthy my hair is now that I've gotten a chance to start anew and implement all I've learned from LHC early on! :)

~maborosi~

silkreel
December 25th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I have to agree with everyone -- your hair suits your face so well, you look amazing with it like that! Power to you girl, growing it back, but meanwhile, you can be rest assured you look awesome.