PDA

View Full Version : Moisture treatments or Protein treatments

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
So if your hair is dry then does that mean it needs moisture right or could it still need protein? What are some good treatments - both moisture or protein? Homemade or commercial bought.

Marchpane
August 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
The first one that comes to mind is the famed SMT, Snowy's Moisture Treatment.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=SMT+treatment
I don't know anything for protein but I'm curious too so I'll wait with you. ^^

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hair seems dry whether it needs protein or moisture. See the article on What's wrong with my hair? Hair Diagnostic Tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44). In addition to what the article states, if you take a wet, shed hair and try to stretch it:

Breaking without stretching much means it needs moisture
Stretching ...and stretching ...and stretching, then NOT returning to it's original length means it needs protein
Stretching a little, then returning to it's original length means it's balanced

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I was just about to post in your other thread with the exact same article danacc gave you the link to.

Karin did a great job with how to begin, clarify as stated then take it from there.

Do not give up, keep us posted.

For moisture: I much more prefer the SMT with cone free conditioners in it.

I think for dryer hair, using 1 part honey and 1 part conditioner may be a better bet since honey is a humicant.

For major protein, I like diluted neutral protein filler.

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM
What if I am having problems diagnosing what the dryness in my hair is?
I was thinking maybe I could use a clarifying shampoo once a month followed by some type of protein treatment also once a month followed by deep moisture treatments several times throughout the month.
If this theoretical plan has an unforseen problem that I didn not think of please let me know.

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM
what is a diluted neutral protein filler?

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM
May I call you jane.

I do not like the plainjane, I feel I am putting you down. Sorry.

Neutral protein filler product that can be found at the Sally beauty stores.

Read the article in the link. It explains how to identify what your hair needs.

To much protein in the hair is not good, niether is to much moisture. Most times there is to much protein, unless hair is damaged from dyes or something.

All the hair care articles are great, there are two pages for now. Happy reading.:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=2

Another good how to get started with your hair article is this one: Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
What if I am having problems diagnosing what the dryness in my hair is?
I was thinking maybe I could use a clarifying shampoo once a month followed by some type of protein treatment also once a month followed by deep moisture treatments several times throughout the month.
If this theoretical plan has an unforseen problem that I didn not think of please let me know.

I agree that the hard part is figuring out what your hair wants/needs. Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice that MeMyselfandI linked contains wisdom. Don't change too much; don't try a lot of things at once. If you can't figure out what is causing the dryness from the other information and tests, then pick either a moisture treatment or a protein treatment to try. Other than that, stick with your current routine. See if it makes the dryness better. If not, try the other type of treatment.

Pay attention to how your hair feels--you will start understanding what it needs if you pay attention. This is difficult now, and with practice becomes much easier. It will tell you if it needs to be clarified, if it needs moisture, if it needs protein. The only way to learn how to read your hair is to take an educated guess, try something, and see how it responds. But take it slow, and be methodical.

As far as a schedule, well, my hair has never agreed to a schedule. Yours may be more cooperative. :flower:

NurseMama
August 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hair seems dry whether it needs protein or moisture. See the article on What's wrong with my hair? Hair Diagnostic Tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44). In addition to what the article states, if you take a wet, shed hair and try to stretch it:
Stretching ...and stretching ...and stretching, then NOT returning to it's original length means it needs protein

I have read this several places and I always end up thinking the same question but not wanting to say it.

Won't all hair break if enough force is applied? Also, how much force do you need to apply to determine if the hair is breaking?

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I have read this several places and I always end up thinking the same question but not wanting to say it.

Won't all hair break if enough force is applied? Also, how much force do you need to apply to determine if the hair is breaking?

Yes,

All hair will break with enough force.

Maybe it was easy for me to figure it out. I always had a habit of pulling on shedded hair. It would take a lot of force to break it. If I wrapped my hair around my fingers to pull apart, they would make dents in it.

Damaged hair: When I pull on a hair, it streches. It does not go back, not only that, the hair were pulled became thinner. It usually broke along the thinner parts. In my mind damaged protein bonds. I hated combing it out when wet. I just could not prevent all pulling. Any tug, and the hair thinned. Hair kept breaking.

My hair after the major damage, was breaking all over the length. Even dry, I would see various hairs all around me. (No pulp it the hair, which means they were not shedded or pulled out.)

Marchpane
August 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM

By this, my hair needs protein. Is there a home remedy for this that doesn't involve me going and buying a protein pack? (Not that I even was able to find one at my drug store lol)

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM

I feel better knowing I am not the only one who does not quite grasp the strand concept.

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
By this, my hair needs protein. Is there a home remedy for this that doesn't involve me going and buying a protein pack? (Not that I even was able to find one at my drug store lol)

I would read and ask at the Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21) section.

Yogurt, Mayo, egg whites etc may be use. There are threads for pros and cons for various homemade protein remedies.

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I am reading all the articles that you are linking too and I am bookmarking them. But I am not good at figuring out what my hair needs. Right now my hair is at waist. When I was a kid I had hair almost to my ankles until I cut it off when I was 20 and back then I never clarified, did treatments, etc and my hair was great. maybe my hair is different now because I am getting older or because I pay more attention (aka obsess) to it.

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I am reading all the articles that you are linking too and I am bookmarking them. But I am not good at figuring out what my hair needs. Right now my hair is at waist. When I was a kid I had hair almost to my ankles until I cut it off when I was 20 and back then I never clarified, did treatments, etc and my hair was great. maybe my hair is different now because I am getting older or because I pay more attention (aka obsess) to it.

How old are you jane. I should really ask are you going under any major changes, stress, medications or anything different that your hair said enough.

Like you, I had no issues with my hair for almost 25 years, until at 45, when a year ago, I dyed my hair for the first time then within months dyed and bleached it and really damaged it. The time before that that I had used chemicals was when I was 18 or so and needed to cut off much of my length due to a bad perm.

For 25 years, I had wash and wear hair, with very little effort given to my hair once I learned to understand my hair.

I am hoping to get my hair to the same state of health again.

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
How old are you jane. I should really ask are you going under any major changes, stress, medications or anything different that your hair said enough.

Like you, I had no issues with my hair for almost 25 years, until at 45, when a year ago, I dyed my hair for the first time then within months dyed and bleached it and really damaged it. The time before that that I had used chemicals was when I was 18 or so and needed to cut off much of my length due to a bad perm.

For 25 years, I had wash and wear hair, with very little effort given to my hair once I learned to understand my hair.

I am hoping to get my hair to the same state of health again.

I will be 25 in a few months. I had my second child less than a year ago. I have since went on birth control, the depo shot. I have not been taking any vitamins. Having been going through alot of stress. Yes I want my wash and wear hair back and also my longer hair.

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I will be 25 in a few months. I had my second child less than a year ago. I have since went on birth control, the depo shot. I have not been taking any vitamins. Having been going through alot of stress. Yes I want my wash and wear hair back and also my longer hair.

First of all, Congratulations on your second child.

I am surprised you have not mentioned massive shedding and hair lost, I remember that.

I also remember when my first child was seven months old, I went from almost hip length to less then chin length hair. I just did not feel I had the time to dry my hair. That was a major regret for me. I felt everything was wrong and my hair was one extra thing giving me stress.

I am surpised you are not taking any vitamins. I was told to continue vitamins for a year after the birth of my children.

I would strongly suggest, you talk to a doctor. Ask about vitamins. Mention your hair, stress etc. I will not ask personal questions about the stress. I would recommend you figure out what your hormones are doing, especially with being on depo shots so soon after having a baby.

Things to ask yourself:

Are you feeling blue?

Is your hair reacting to the pregnacy, depo and/or other stress? I would think all three.

I also remember that with the second child, all I really wanted was 10 minutes of me time each morning to take a shower. So please take care of yourself, from the inside out, eat healthy, sleep etc. Then of course enjoy your little ones.

At your age, my major hair issue was a very greasy scalp, it was often ichy. I learned to shampoo less, I used regular shampoos and conditioner for dry hair. Menstral cycles played havoc on my scalp.

I do hope you find what products will give you back your wash and wear hair back.

I would love to see pictures of your really long hair, and I do hope you will get to that length real soon.

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM

This is one of those things that's easier in person. It's kind of like Grandma's recipe where you add flour "until it looks right".

It's not so much a matter for force, as how much the hair will stretch before breaking. Gradually increase force until the hair starts to stretch. If it snaps right away, it needs moisture. If it stretches only a little, and then breaks, it needs moisture (this is where we get into "until it looks right", I'm not sure how to explain "only a little"). But if you play with your shed hair, you'll start to see differences in how it reacts to being stretched, and then you can tell better how it is changing.

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Congratulations on your second child! The first year is always such a whirlwind, and it sounds like you're going through a lot of changes.

I took a peek at your blog and see that you've tried an SMT and used a 2-in-1 and your hair still feels dry. I also noticed that your hair likes 'cones.

How long has it been since you last clarified?
Did your hair suddenly stop feeling nice on the same routine? (Often clarifying will help in this case)

I'm beginning to think a clarifying wash followed by a moisturizing treatment might help if you haven't done one recently.

wintersun99
August 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM

MeMyselfandI
August 25th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Yep, I concur... this is exactly what is happening to my most damaged parts of my hair... the damaged was caused by overbleaching and the stretching is horrendous! I'm going to give the Aphogee treatment a try...

I feel for you. Bleaching, not fun on my hair. What is Aphogee treatments?

MeMyselfandI
August 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM
This is one of those things that's easier in person. It's kind of like Grandma's recipe where you add flour "until it looks right".

LOL danacc,

I hate getting recipes that say, add flour as needed. How am I suppose to know. My mother's recepies for many cakes, cookies and breads does not include amounts for flour. I do not think it ever gets easier.

I feel it is almost as bad for henna, add liquid until it looks like yoghurt. Well, yoghurt, the more you stir, the thinner it gets. Perfect example of a non newtonian fluid. My henna is either to thick or running all over my head. I had just one perfect right on my head. Still practicing.

wintersun99
August 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM

MeMyselfandI
August 25th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks wintersun.

plainjanegirl
August 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM
On the thread about the Aphogee (which I am not brave enough to try) I saw somebody mention a Nexxus Emergencee treatment so I looked it up online. Now I am still learning all this. But if I'm not wrong it calls it a reconstructor and that would be a protein treatment right? Also it recommends what shampoo and conditioner to use afterwards from the Nexxus line and supposed to be moisturizing but the conditioner it recommends I don't think has cones and that ould be a problem for me. Here are the ingredients for the Nexxus Humectress ultimate moisturizing conditioner : ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Stearalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligosaccharide, Keratin Amino Acids, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Citrate, Manganese Citrate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Ceramide 3, Butyl Methoxy-dibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Sorbate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Petrolatum, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium Edta, Dmdm Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 4 (Ci 14700), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Red 33 (Ci 17200).

danacc
August 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, a reconstructor is a protein treatment.

I can't help with the conditioner--none of the ingredients jump out at me as 'cones. My hair doesn't like them, so I don't know any alternative conditioners to suggest for you.

plainjanegirl
August 25th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks danacc! Maybe somebody who used nexxus before will see this and can recommend an alternative with cones.