PDA

View Full Version : 'Hairstyles like mum' did this ever actually happen?!

Merlin
December 10th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I've noticed that quite often when you see vintage knitting patterns, where there is an adult and girl size of the same pattern, quite often the girl has hair like 'her mum' (or at any rate the model in the photo!). Now based on my extensive knowlege of teenagers, I reckon that most modern girls would volunteer to clear a minefield by hand with a pickaxe than have the same hairstyle or clothes as their mother. Which makes me wonder, was this just something that only happened in adverts and knitting pattern covers or did it used to happen in real life. I'm sure a lot of the girls' hair is actually roller set. That is sooooooooooooooo going to happen now isn't it? Though actually now no adults they know probably ever have a shampoo and set perhaps it will become popular with teenagers in a quest to be different! Did girls ever really want outfits which actually matched their mother's?

I offfer some particuarly alarming examples: people of a nervous disposition should avoid looking ...

http://www.karensvariety.com/images/COPYPATTERNS/Shorties/BoleroMotherDaughter.jpg

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/5487101/il_570xN.279426695.jpg

http://blondieandco.typepad.com/.a/6a00e3981e6d7e883301310fbd0fb5970c-800wi

and, brace yourself and don't say you weren't warned...

http://img3.etsystatic.com/006/0/5206364/il_570xN.393506695_swab.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE.
This is about 14 year olds who want to look like their mothers, not women in their 40s who think they can get away with dressing like 14 year olds......

spirals
December 10th, 2012, 01:03 AM
All I have to say is hahahahahahahahahaha.

auburntressed
December 10th, 2012, 01:42 AM
10 thingy...........

Ishje
December 10th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I liked to dress up as my mum when I was a kid, put on her too big for me clothes and shoes :p
but when I was young there was a big difference between kids clothes and adults clothes.

now I get the feeling that kids clothes are often the same as adults clothes, just smaller.
this is an example: http://www.elmoraclothing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Zara-Clothing-For-Kids1-300x202.jpg
I mean, sure, they look cute but it is not really fun kid's wear is it? I would not have my kids play outside in clothes like that (if I would have kids of course)
it is more trying to make kids look like adults.
so, I don't think much has changed actually.

wandlimb
December 10th, 2012, 03:39 AM
My mum and I had the same sort of hairdo for years! (A bob) It wasn't intentional, it's just the way it turned out.

Nae
December 10th, 2012, 05:15 AM
I think I had a similar hair style as my mother growing up but dressing alike? No so much. Okay, I occasionally stole things out of her closet until I became a gangly giant and out grew her but to wear it at the same time? *shudder*

longNred
December 10th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Funny, at my age now, mid 30s, I have the same hair as my mother did when she was a new mother with me... Waist length. She sported the long hippie hair until I was about 5. Whenever she comments on my hair, it's always "my hair used to be long like that!" we never did the whole "mommy & me" look alike thing though.

spidermom
December 10th, 2012, 06:35 AM
During certain times in my life, even as a teenager, I had a hair cut about the same length as my mom. She always kept hers in kind of a pixie. Plus neither of us were much into styling; we were wash, comb, and go girls. (I experimented sometimes.)

SerinaDaith
December 10th, 2012, 06:43 AM
My mom's hair looks now a lot like my hair did in high school and more or less what I am growing for now. Her length would be waist on me and is just above waist on her. When I was young she would dress us in complementary outfits but I don't think we ever outright matched. Now I have my own DD and some patterns that are similar to one another I will be making some outfits for us.

trolleypup
December 10th, 2012, 06:55 AM
From time to time I see younger children dressed like their moms (similarly for dads), the only times I have seen teenagers dressed like their parents are either Halloween or similar intentional effects like family photos...sometimes it looks good, sometimes not!

northernsky
December 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
My daughter wants to match me, but she is almost 3 years old. She even asked me to make her hair "like a bagel"-- translation: put it in a bun. :laugh:

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I think some girls like to look like their mom. They consider mom to be a hero.

kitekats
December 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Oh, I just love those :p(except the last one), anyway, I wouldn't mind if I and everyone else looked like in the first pic:o

MsBubbles
December 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM
and, brace yourself and don't say you weren't warned...

http://img3.etsystatic.com/006/0/5206364/il_570xN.393506695_swab.jpg

Oh wow. That whole 'lift and separate' thing. What was so shameful about having them a bit closer together, anyway?

Yeah the kids in these pics are definitely still of Mother-hairstyle-dictatorship age.

spidermom
December 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM
P.S. - I don't think I ever dressed like my mother when I had a choice. Back when she dressed me I have no clue. There's no picture of us dressed alike that I remember seeing.

Amapola
December 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM
OK Merlin - YIKES on that last one! :agape: :D

Reminds me of Stitchy McYarnPants and her "Museum of Kitschy Stitches" book which is one of the funniest things on Earth.

I can't ever remember wanting to dress like my mother, or to have my hair like hers... ever. She did have the desire to try and dress us alike when I was very small, but soon gave up as I was such a recalcitrant child! I think she still feels that way... :D

neko_kawaii
December 10th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I think the real message in these adverts is that if you make this item you will look as stylish as our models, implying that your hair will look great by association. As far as little girls wanting (or being forced) to look like their mothers I think all the examples are young enough to in that era have their looks dictated by their elders, presumably mothers.

Not all girls go through a rebellious period either. I absolutely adore my mother and until the age of 17 (when I realized my skin looked horrid with her red) would have loved to have hair just like hers and I did try henna once in an attempt to be a redhead (I didn't like the smell, it took too much time and the color was almost unnoticeable). I also periodically did rag and pin curls to get the curls, even tried a perm once but it didn't last more than a week, so never bothered with that again. You could say I am still trying to have hair like my mother as hers is about six inches longer than mine currently. *wink*

Macaroni
December 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I've never looked like Mom and I'm grateful she didn't dress me in a lookalike outfit. I've never seen it IRL and hope I never do.

dmilton
December 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I used to like to have the same style of shoes as my mom. Although I had pretty big feet as a child, so I really did have the same shoes as my mom sometimes. Usually she would get a pair in brown and I would get the same style in black. As far as clothes go though, I was never really interested in wanting to wear the same clothes that she wore.

Iolanthe13
December 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I've always dressed a little like my mum, including during the teenage years - amusingly, as I grew older and more interested in fashion, she began dressing more fashionably. We've both had some sort of long hair as long as I can remember, usually in a cinnabun, and between our glasses and similar bone structures, people often say we look alike (despite different colouring). When I visit, we can share jeans. But I don't think there's anything creepy about it. It's not as though we're wearing matching outfits.

MaryO
December 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hilarious! Loved your warnings and descriptions! :lol:

pogo0685
December 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM
When I was little I wanted to look like my mom, but as I got older (say 10 and older) I wanted to have my own look and style, although she could never really get over me growing up. Even now, I am 27 and she will give me her old clothes and stuff and it just makes me cringe. I think they look ok on her, but 99% of them are just not for me. But then I feel bad if I tell her no so I just take them and then tell her they don't fit me. My MIL never had a daughter so she does the same thing to me, luckily she has a tiny bit more style than my mom, but only by like 1% or 2%, so I do the same with her, take them and then say they don't fit.

shutterpillar
December 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I don't ever remember wanting to dress the same as my mom... like another poster mentioned, I did take things from her closet, but I cannot recall wanting to dress identically to her. She did, however, dress my sister and I alike on special occasions (christmas, etc) until I was about eight.

Our hair has never really been similar either. Hers has usually remained shoulder length and above (until now... she is almost 50 and wears it about APL) and mine has been all kinds of crazy styles and colors. She raised my sister and I to embrace our individual personalities and style preferences (no matter how horrid they sometimes were), so I am sure that has a lot to do with why I never felt the need to mimic her personal style. I have my own. :)

lapushka
December 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I've never looked like Mom and I'm grateful she didn't dress me in a lookalike outfit. I've never seen it IRL and hope I never do.

Same here, and agree. :agree:

Unofficial_Rose
December 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Er, I thought lots of 40-something women have bsl/apl layered hair, jeans and boots these days. So do 14 y.o.'s? I think that's quite a non-age specific look, I would argue it doesn't suggest dressing as though you are a teenager any more. Then again, there's the denim shorts and dark tights combo that youngsters wear - anyone over 25 would be mad to try and pull that one off.

Dads and sons also dress similarly particularly with this fad for retro 'Dad' style cardigans popular amongst the young. Dads don't wear skinny jeans though (but then neither do a lot of the sons).

Or am I trying to say that lots of people just wear jeans and t-shirts these days, there isn't such a huge divide as there was between people who were young in the 1940's/50's and their kids who were young in the 60's/70's? My dad wouldn't have been seen dead in jeans, nor would my mum.

Nice pics though. I love the way all the styles look like the wearers cut it themselves and didn't style it AT ALL, just let it do what it wanted. :D

Sarahlabyrinth
December 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I have a photo of me and my mother at the beach dressed identically - with matching jerseys knitted by her:couch: however I was only about 4 at the time...(and not allowed to choose my own clothes, lol). Can't quite find the photo at the moment.

HintOfMint
December 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I used to have a bob to match my mom periodically through my life. It suited her so much that I assumed it would suit me since people always said we looked alike.

Although, when I was ten, my bob had more to do with looking like Posh Spice than my mother, to be honest.

cobden 28
December 10th, 2012, 05:32 PM
It was the fashion back in the late 1950's/early 1960's for 'mother and daughter' outfits; that's the era I grew up in so I well remember that look! Up until my early teens - late 1960's - my Mum considered it a treat for me to go to the hairdresser and have my hair shampooed and set just like hers.

It took a lot longer for Mum to get out of the habit of thinking I ought to dress in similar styles to her; up until the early 1990's, when I was then in my late 30's, I didn't dare compliment Mum too often on an outfit otherwise she'd buy me a similar item (in my size of course, but in a different colour to hers) for my next birthday/Christmas.

leslissocool
December 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Well I fit kid's clothing, and my daughter's hair is same texture as mine (she has the same face shape as me too ) so.... I'm the creepy mom dressed matching like their daughter. Sorry, but I love doing that and I plan to do it until she gets too old and starts getting embarrassed. The hair though, I like it long so unless she asks me to cut it I will continue with the blunt cut long hair style. I think I'd rather dress like a kid than have my kid dress in things that look too grown up, I never understood moms who let their kids dress "sexy" to match them (matching little black dresses kinda thing). I'm not very comfortable with that, I'd rather wear a hello kitty dress or an obnoxious tutu with her.

Creepy part is that my son also matches us. We tend to wear black and purple a lot, with tons of skulls. He's got shoulder length hair with bangs, his hair is different.

I gotta say though what's creepy is the serial killer happy expression they have on their face.... A bit too enthusiastic...

AutumnLocks
December 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I for one can say yes! It did happen. Every time I was taken to a "beauty shop" I came out looking like a smaller version of my mother. Every single time! So yea this kind of thing did happen....:rolleyes:

turtlelover
December 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM
My mother once cut my hair from waist length to super short like hers when I just wanted it to my shoulders. So yes, we matched for awhile. I've never quite forgiven her for that! It was this frizzy 80s bubble cut thing....just HORRID.

jasper
December 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
That third link looks like they cut and pasted the heads on to pictures of the sweaters.
I can tell you I had my hair permed and roller set at least one time as a child, because there are a lot of pictures of that one day of photo-ready curls. It was kind of like that 3rd pic girl's hair for a day, but it didn't last.

I doubt there was as much mother daughter dressing alike as the patterns seem to suggest. I think it was just that multi-size patterns sold better, because they seem like more value for money.