PDA

View Full Version : The Rudolph (the red-nosed reindeer) Bun

GRU
December 9th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I saw this on Facebook, and haven't seen it posted here, so my apologies if this is a repeat.

Just thought this was a cute idea for sock-bunners to use over the holidays:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/Rudolph.jpg

If you try this, please post your own pictures in this thread, I'd love to see your results!

Rosethorn
December 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM
That's completely adorable. ;)

Sillage
December 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
LOL how fun is that?!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 9th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Haha that is sooo cute! If I knew how to make that I would wear it on Christmas day.

Rhodugune
December 9th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Yes, adorable is the word, makes me think of a reindeer/muppet, really fun idea for a bun.

melusine963
December 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
:joy: That's adorable!!! It makes me want to make a sock-bun right now and hunt down some eyes and antlers.

Nebulae
December 10th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Hahaha that is too cute! Almost makes me wish my henna could disappear for a day :rolling:

Nae
December 10th, 2012, 06:11 AM
How can you go wrong with a bun with googly eyes?

Colourful
December 10th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Wow, this is really awesome! Nice work. :)

GRU
December 10th, 2012, 08:01 AM

I know, right?

Seems like it would generate all kinds of opportunities, particularly for those who are particularly crafty. Crochet or knit a bun-cover with the coloring and characteristics of your favorite fictional character, add googly eyes, and voila! :D

Nightshade
December 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not going to sleep for a month :lol:

Gru, I love you, but that creeped the hell out of me XD

fridgee
December 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
That is amazing! I wish I had time to pick up some pipe cleaners before tomorrow, this would be perfect for the kids christmas party I've got on! They'll be having reindeer cupcakes, with curlywurly antlers, so I'd fit right in!

oktobergoud
December 10th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Too cute! :D

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I like it thanks for sharing.

GRU
December 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm not going to sleep for a month :lol:

Gru, I love you, but that creeped the hell out of me XD

Everyone else thinks it's adorable, and you think it's creepy! :lol:

What if it were a little faery or elf face instead?

Nightshade
December 10th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Everyone else thinks it's adorable, and you think it's creepy! :lol:

Still creepy. I think there's just something inherently creepy about boogly eyes on the back of one's head XD

GRU
December 10th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Still creepy. I think there's just something inherently creepy about boogly eyes on the back of one's head XD

Just think of how it would freak out all the little kids whose mothers have told them that they have eyes in the back of their head! :D

melusine963
December 11th, 2012, 12:17 AM

Now that would be creepy! shudder:

Quixii
December 11th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Cute! I wonder what kind of other things you can do with buns. Who wants to try to make a stack of three buns and decorate it to be a snowman? xD

WaitingSoLong
December 11th, 2012, 06:39 AM
OMGosh that is too funny! I am still laughing! I would so do this! MY dd would DIE though and refuse to be seen with me.

fridgee
December 11th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Cute! I wonder what kind of other things you can do with buns. Who wants to try to make a stack of three buns and decorate it to be a snowman? xD

I love this idea! Would work best with a renegrey tho! Any volunteers??? :D

A very pale blonde person might work too, although we've all been warned about yellow snow! :p

GRU
December 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM
OMGosh that is too funny! I am still laughing! I would so do this! MY dd would DIE though and refuse to be seen with me.

All the more reason to do it ... if parents can't embarrass their kids, what's the point in having them??? :lol:

browneyedsusan
December 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM

do it. Do it. DO IT! LOL! --put it up like that and be doing dishes or something with your back to the door when she comes home from school. (Heaven forbid she brings a friend home today...) hahahahaha!

WaitingSoLong
December 11th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Oh she is bringing a friend home Friday.....

I wonder if I am able to make this? BrownEyedSusan...HELP! lol Please tell me you are craft I am SO NOT. lol

GRU
December 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Glue or tie a red pom-pom onto a bobby pin and stick it in the center of the bun for the nose.

Pipe cleaners are stupid-easy to form into shape.

Glue two googly eyes onto a barrette or clip of your choice.

Ta-da!

WaitingSoLong
December 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Well I don't have any of those things! lol

GRU
December 11th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Well I don't have any of those things! lol

http://www.hobbylobby.com/

;)

DoubleCrowned
December 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM
You could make buttons do for the eyes. Maybe the fat end of cheap bamboo chop sticks could be sliced and spread to give the effect of antlers. Hmmm, could a cranberry work for a
nose?

Rivanariko
December 11th, 2012, 05:41 PM
A figure eight might be able to be turned into a snowman...

This almost makes me wish I was going to be around for my work Christmas party. I'll have to come up with a reason to wear it while I'm at home visiting friends and family. So fun!!

HintOfMint
December 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
This is so CUTE and hilarious! I might make a trip to Michael's soon! I wonder if I could get a glowing "nose" to stick in my hair?

excentricat
December 11th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I must find googly eyes and wear this to a christmas party

piffyanne
December 11th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Indeed.

I know, right?

Seems like it would generate all kinds of opportunities, particularly for those who are particularly crafty. Crochet or knit a bun-cover with the coloring and characteristics of your favorite fictional character, add googly eyes, and voila! :D
You could also sew a circle of felt, sew a channel for an elastic, and decorate the circle. You get smooth "skin" that way.

OH MAN I JUST GOT CRAFT-ENABLED SO BADLY.

I love this idea! Would work best with a renegrey tho! Any volunteers??? :D

A very pale blonde person might work too, although we've all been warned about yellow snow! :p
(Bold mine) :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

tiny_teesha
December 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
oh hey guys i just did this with what i had lying around!
i didn't have brown pipe cleaners so i coloured the white ones with brown fabric markers.
then i stuck a red flower gem pin in for the nose. (needs to be photoshoped to look un-weird)
and the eyes i just drew on card and left a tab to glue to a hair pin. :)
Took 5 minutes! Now i just need to remember my photobucket password :S

eta- http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/tiny_teesha/IMG_3186.jpg
Yay I rememebred! haha

LadyLongLocks
December 11th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Very cute bun. Might as well have fun with buns!

PixxieStix
December 11th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I think I just found my hairstyle for work on Christmas Day! :D

MrsGuther
December 11th, 2012, 11:26 PM
So cute! I want to try that!

CaranDulin
December 12th, 2012, 12:13 AM
That is adorable! I may just have to try that.

piffyanne
December 12th, 2012, 04:22 AM
OH I AM SO DOING THIS.

Cute cute cute! :inlove: :crush:

browneyedsusan
December 12th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Oh she is bringing a friend home Friday.....

I wonder if I am able to make this? BrownEyedSusan...HELP! lol Please tell me you are craft I am SO NOT. lol

You've got lots of brilliant ideas from other members! --in a pinch, you can always draw the things on paper, glue to a cereal box, cut out, tape to a stick or bobbypin? I KNOW you can draw! LOL! Share your pictures of the blonde reindeer! (I would be on this like a chicken on a junebug if I had enough hair!)

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM
If I do this, it would just have to be a cinnabun. Otherwise Rudolph would need to be on a diet. I don't wear sock buns because they are HUGE. lol. Maybe if I get a smaller sock?

kaydana
December 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM
If I do this, it would just have to be a cinnabun. Otherwise Rudolph would need to be on a diet. I don't wear sock buns because they are HUGE. lol. Maybe if I get a smaller sock?

But the bigger rudolph is, the better he'll stand out!

GRU
December 12th, 2012, 08:11 AM
But the bigger rudolph is, the better he'll stand out!

But have you seen how long WSL's hair is?

The antlers would need to be real-life sized in order to be proportionate to the size of her sock bun! :blueeek:

GRU
December 12th, 2012, 08:20 AM
You've got lots of brilliant ideas from other members! --in a pinch, you can always draw the things on paper, glue to a cereal box, cut out, tape to a stick or bobbypin? I KNOW you can draw! LOL! Share your pictures of the blonde reindeer! (I would be on this like a chicken on a junebug if I had enough hair!)

From your siggy pic, it looks like you could do the original/faked sock bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EIzoqMh1mfI#t=45s) -- ponytail pulled through a sock, spread out evenly, and folded back over with an elastic. We want pictures!!!!!

And yes, please, WSL -- you NEED to do this to embarrass your kid! PLEASE???? :pray:

GRU
December 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I must find googly eyes and wear this to a christmas party

And you can show it off to us at the Angola meet! :happydance:

kaydana
December 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
But have you seen how long WSL's hair is?

The antlers would need to be real-life sized in order to be proportionate to the size of her sock bun! :blueeek:

Yup! Just means it'll look awesome from the front too!

PixieKitten
December 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
:o I NEED to do this for christmas day!!! But I think the only red thing I have for my hair would be too big... MUST. FIND. SOMETHING. ELSE!!!

...Sorry, I've just had half a chocolate orange. SUGARRRRRRRR! =D

GRU
December 12th, 2012, 09:10 AM
:o I NEED to do this for christmas day!!! But I think the only red thing I have for my hair would be too big... MUST. FIND. SOMETHING. ELSE!!!

Red pom-poms are easily purchased at any craft store, or easily made in a matter of minutes with a skein of red yard. Tie one to a bobby pin and you're in business!

LadyLongLocks
December 12th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I could not resist trying it :)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/All%20HOLIDAYS/reindeersnowvinforsharing.gif

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Too awesome LLL!!!!! Is your HEAD behind that? lol

spidermom
December 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Oh my!
Not my cuppa.

LadyLongLocks
December 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Too awesome LLL!!!!! Is your HEAD behind that? lol

Thank you WSL! The sock bun form is 6" across! I used sweat pant legs rolled up instead of socks :)

PixieKitten
December 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Oh my gosh, LadyLongLocks, That looks incredible! The eyes are adorable and those antlers are impressive!

LadyLongLocks
December 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Oh my gosh, LadyLongLocks, That looks incredible! The eyes are adorable and those antlers are impressive!

Thank you PixieKitten!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM
LadyLongLocks, that just looks amazing - I certainly hope you will be wearing that at Christmas!

Merlin
December 15th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I showed the picture to one of my friends at work and she said she was "so up for doing that on the last day of term"!

browneyedsusan
December 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM
From your siggy pic, it looks like you could do the original/faked sock bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EIzoqMh1mfI#t=45s) -- ponytail pulled through a sock, spread out evenly, and folded back over with an elastic. We want pictures!!!!!

And yes, please, WSL -- you NEED to do this to embarrass your kid! PLEASE???? :pray:

Whoa! There's a fake sock bun?!? I love TLHC!!! :D
The last time I tried a ponytail, I had a lot of escapes around the edges, and it was tiny, but I'll have another go at it now!!! That's why they make bobbypins, isn't it?
ooh! I hope I can make it work!

piffyanne
December 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Whoa! There's a fake sock bun?!? I love TLHC!!! :D
The last time I tried a ponytail, I had a lot of escapes around the edges, and it was tiny, but I'll have another go at it now!!! That's why they make bobbypins, isn't it?
ooh! I hope I can make it work!

Yes, my hair tries to eat itself whenever I try the rolled sockbun. I sometimes wonder if it's because the socks don't turn easily for me?

...Sweatpants? :hmm:

Good think I like big bunz ;)

WaitingSoLong
December 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I cannot fathom trying to roll my hair in a sock donut. The "fake" was is the only way I know how to do it. I have only done it once. It was too heavy for my liking.

LadyLongLocks
December 16th, 2012, 02:35 AM
I cannot fathom trying to roll my hair in a sock donut. The "fake" was is the only way I know how to do it. I have only done it once. It was too heavy for my liking.
This bun I made is not "rolled up". The form is put over the ponytail holder and the hair spread over the form and I used a elastic headband to go around the form. The remaining hair was simply left down for this photo. I could not do the rolled up hair method since I find it damaging with my extreme length.Yes, the bun is heavy. I never keep sock buns in long because I only do them for photos and then take them out.

Iscoria
December 16th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Haha, that's an awesome idea! :D

CurlyCurves
December 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I could not resist trying it :)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/All%20HOLIDAYS/reindeersnowvinforsharing.gif

So adorable!

Zindell
December 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Hahaa, great idea! And cudos to those that tried it! :D

david
December 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Haha.. this is awesome. Work of genius :D

LadyLongLocks
December 16th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I found the original creator of this reindeer bun HERE (http://princesspiggies.blogspot.com/2011/12/holiday-hairstyles-rudolph.html) ( the picture as shown in the post #1 here)
This "Princess Piggies" Blogspot page has other Holiday hair ideas too!You can see different angles of the reindeer bun here.

For anyone needing step by step directions on the decorations and the how to make a sock bun,
here is a long detailed video on youtube (http://youtu.be/s3DqM18Rr60).

I hope more people try this bun and share it.

EdG
December 16th, 2012, 01:07 PM
This is one of the best threads ever. :thumbsup:
Ed

LadyLongLocks
December 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Princess Piggies has a youtube channel! (http://youtu.be/2Vk_wHGD31g) They show some holiday styles with sock buns.

vintage88
December 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
love this! :)

piffyanne
December 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Am I the only one who is thinking a little red scarf would JUST BE TOO IMPOSSIBLY CUTE around his "neck"?

I'm sorry, I know I'm bad...

LadyLongLocks
December 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
One more lol.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/All%20HOLIDAYS/snowandglasses.gif

browneyedsusan
December 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
One more lol.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/All%20HOLIDAYS/snowandglasses.gif

hahahahahahahaha!!!!! :D

anitacs9101
December 16th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Omg I love it!! So cute!

auburntressed
December 17th, 2012, 12:18 AM
10 thingy..........

kaydana
December 17th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I want to wear this to work for Christmas SO BAD! I have a couple of obstacles, though... One - even with a small insert, every sock bun I make comes out larger than my head. Two - I have to bike to work, which means my hair could get messed up in transit. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to wear a helmet. Hmm... Maybe if I could secure a decent sock bun before work, then I could just insert the decorations while changing. But that brings me back to... sock bun bigger than my head and really heavy to boot.

Could you try the sockless sock bun? Basically you tie your hair in a knot, then spread the remaining hair over it like with a fake sock bun, treating the hair making the knot as the sock. That wouldn't be any heavier than any other bun but would look just like a sock bun.

Milui Elenath
December 17th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I sooo wish I had seen this before last week!!! I always do a Christmas style for the the childrens Christmas party at my work (childcare). Mind you it would have elicited a lot of comments so maybe not. . . plus the fully rolled sock bun gets heavy and there is no way I'd have a sock bun (can't be called fake - it was the original) with my hair down around that many people and children especially not with Rudolph tempting them :).

I think it could make a nice personal Christmas card photo!