PDA

View Full Version : To Trim or Not To Trim? Reasons Why Wanted?

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
What are the reasons to trim or not to trim undamaged hair?

Is there such a thing as undamaged hair?

How can you tell if hair needs a trim, other then to do something to the hem line?

I am wondering what to do with my daughter's hair. Her hair has not been cut in 17 months. She had a major straight line hem cut then. I noticed that her hair is growing a bit uneven. It is growing in a U, yet the U is off side. I am wondering if I should let it keep growing and see if the rest of the hair catches up to a more even hair line. I am very surprised that the hem line is so thick. I have noticed that some hairs are about 2 inches shorter. When her hair was cut, it was taking on fair tale endings, so I wonder how that will effect the hem line now. Will the hair even out?

In Nightshade good article Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79, she explains why and how to trim damaged hair. (Which I am following. Thanks Nightshade.)

spidermom
August 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think that untrimmed hair ever evens itself out. I've been keeping my eye on pictures of the nontrimmers for 3+ years now, and uneven fairy tale ends remain uneven.

LadyLongLocks
August 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I would trim it to make it even. 17 months is a long time between trims. Although she would loose a bit of length, I wouldn't want people to see the uneven ends and make a negative comment. I'm sure It will look better if it is trimmed even. :) She will also learn good hair care and from an early age. Just try to do it yourself so you don't end up with too much cut at a salon. Take a before and after photo for her to see.

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Trimming or not trimming undamaged hair is an aesthetic decision.

Damaged ends will become quite tangly. They often feel dry and brittle even after a moisturizing conditioning treatment. Sometimes clarifying before conditioning is what is needed for tangly, dry/brittle ends, but if that doesn't work, the next step is usually a trim. If you look at damaged ends in strong light (sunlight is best) against either a background of opposite color to your daughter's hair, or a black background, you will see an obviously larger number of white dots near the ends or splits in the ends than you find elsewhere in her hair. (The ends of long hair are years old, and will always have some wear and tear; "damaged" is a matter of degree.)

The U shape is chosen by many. Since your daughter's hair naturally grows in that shape, keeping it that shape will minimize the amount of length she would lose if you trim it to even out the off-side-ness of it. Of course, the length may not be as important to you/her as the hemline shape, in which case trim to the preferred shape.

I would want it evened out, but that's a personal choice, and how strongly I would intervene would depend on her age and opinion as well.

Nightshade
August 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Will the hair even out?

In Nightshade good article Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79, she explains why and how to trim damaged hair. (Which I am following. Thanks Nightshade.)

You've welcome for the article! :flowers:

My hair tends to grow a bit faster on one side of my head than the other :rolleyes: so even if my ends were healthy, I'd be trimming to keep things more even :)

Faerietail ends are not always damaged, so when it comes to them, it's more a matter of visual preference.

Damaged ends in all forms are a headache *shoots a glare at her ends* In time, my pretties, in time.. *snips scissors at them and cackles* :twisted:

longhairedfairy
August 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Mine gets trimmed whenever the ends start to get tangled easily from damage and/or dryness. I also prefer a blunt cut for my hair.

ETA: It's also to keep it even, since it grows at slightly different rates :)

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Thank you everyone.

Spidermom, Now I know that uneven stays uneven.

LadyLongLocks, I never thought of negative comments. I will cut her hair.

danacc, thanks, I will try to cut a U shape. My daughter is not picky about hemline. I showed her the pictures at Feyehair's site.

There are some split ends, but no white spots. I have those, so I would recognise them.

My daughter's hair always tangles at the nape of her neck and one side by her ear. The tangles are with hair close to the head. I wonder if that hair is dfferent then the rest. Her ends do not tangle. I find what tangles looks like matted. I find that strange.

I agree, snipping is great.

Stagecoach
August 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
For the past two years (as of June 2006) I've been part of the non-trimming experiment.
For the first year I was wondering if my hair would grow faster with no trims. It does not.
I trimmed 1.75" off after the first year.

My second year I decided to give it one more chance and see if it would grow faster. It still didn't. I had another 1.5" trimmed off.

And now I'm not trimming because I'm trying to get to knees as quickly as possible. But, when I get there I plan to trim back to classic and from then on, I intend to trim every 4 months or so like I used to do before my non-trimming adventure.

Nevermore
August 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
MeMyselfandI: The tangles at her nape and on the side of her head, does she sleep on that side or on her back? Moving alot while sleeping can tangle hair unbelievably badly. Try night braiding (two dutch/french braids) and see if it helps, maybe?

Cinnamon Hair
August 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
What are the reasons to trim or not to trim undamaged hair?

Is there such a thing as undamaged hair?

How can you tell if hair needs a trim, other then to do something to the hem line?

I am wondering what to do with my daughter's hair. Her hair has not been cut in 17 months. She had a major straight line hem cut then. I noticed that her hair is growing a bit uneven. It is growing in a U, yet the U is off side. I am wondering if I should let it keep growing and see if the rest of the hair catches up to a more even hair line. I am very surprised that the hem line is so thick. I have noticed that some hairs are about 2 inches shorter. When her hair was cut, it was taking on fair tale endings, so I wonder how that will effect the hem line now. Will the hair even out?

In my experience, once hair starts growing in an odd shape that is the shape it will keep unless you trim it. Some people have hair that grows faster on the sides and others grow faster in the middle. Left to its own devices my hair grows faster on the sides, leaving a hole in the middle, and it's worse on one side than the other.

If her hair grows in a natural U shape that's something you could work with. Even if the U shape isn't perfectly centered, you could trim a bit to even it out if you want to keep the U but make it look nicer. Or you could just trim straight across to give the slower hairs a chance to catch up with the longer ends.

To see if hair is damaged and needs a trim look at a few individual hairs close up. If the end looks like one of these (http://classiclength.googlepages.com/splits.jpg) it is split (excluding the healthy end and the taper which is hard to recognize) and will need to be trimmed. If most of the hair looks healthy then there's no reason to trim, unless you're wanting a thicker or more even hemline. If you want to keep the fairy tale ends, then trim only a little or none at all.

Darkhorse1
August 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I remember reading somewhere in a beauty magazine that helped those maintain 'nice' long hair. Hair dressers said if you could see through your 'ends', you needed a trim. Meaning, I guess, if the ends are sparce, it will look un-kept? Again, I think it's a personal thing-I know when I was growing my hair as a youngster, after a few bad cuts (read: too short), I refused to let scissors near my hair. I allowed my father to 'neaten' up the back (his dad was a barber), and took quite a few years (read: twenty) to trust a hair dresser--and I still had a few horrific times.

Now? I have a great hair dresser and her hair is tailbone length :)

Nightshade
August 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
To see if hair is damaged and needs a trim look at a few individual hairs close up. If the end looks like one of these (http://classiclength.googlepages.com/splits.jpg) it is split (excluding the healthy end and the taper which is hard to recognize) and will need to be trimmed. If most of the hair looks healthy then there's no reason to trim, unless you're wanting a thicker or more even hemline. If you want to keep the fairy tale ends, then trim only a little or none at all.

Cinnamon Hair- Would you mind if I linked that split end picture to the damaged hair article? :flowers:

Curlsgirl
August 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Mine gets trimmed whenever the ends start to get tangled easily from damage and/or dryness. I also prefer a blunt cut for my hair.

ETA: It's also to keep it even, since it grows at slightly different rates :)

Yes this is what I have noticed. This is when it drives me crazy and seems like nothing I do makes any difference even when I really don't SEE any splits. If it has been longer since I trimmed, I just have to trim more. I would rather keep it feeling better and less tangling. I think I really could have cut a couple more inches off but I didn't want to lose any more length.

MeMyselfandI
August 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM
MeMyselfandI: The tangles at her nape and on the side of her head, does she sleep on that side or on her back? Moving alot while sleeping can tangle hair unbelievably badly. Try night braiding (two dutch/french braids) and see if it helps, maybe?

Nevermore,

I never thought of sleeping causing tangles. Yes she moves a lot. I had her read your post. She rolled her eyes. "I told her these ladies have hair longer then mine and yours and more experience. You want long hair, well you need to learn to take care of it." I will braid it for bed. I do hope it helps. She had the major 1 foot trim last year because I did not want to bother with tangles on vacation. I do not want to cut her hair again. I always had long hair so I understand her desire for long hair. But the matted tangle mess is nothing I have seen on anyone else but her. It is a constant battle to keep the hair from becoming what I told her looks like a fine latice with her hair.

spidermom
August 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
For the past two years (as of June 2006) I've been part of the non-trimming experiment.
For the first year I was wondering if my hair would grow faster with no trims. It does not.
I trimmed 1.75" off after the first year.

My second year I decided to give it one more chance and see if it would grow faster. It still didn't. I had another 1.5" trimmed off.

And now I'm not trimming because I'm trying to get to knees as quickly as possible. But, when I get there I plan to trim back to classic and from then on, I intend to trim every 4 months or so like I used to do before my non-trimming adventure.

Ummmmmm; now this is puzzling. You conclude twice that your hair DOES NOT grow faster when you do not trim it. Then you finish by saying that you are not trimming now because you want to get to knees as quickly as possible. This does not compute.

MeMyselfandI
August 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Stagecouch,

Did your hair grow straight all that time.

I did not measure my daughter's hair but it grew quickly, it slowed down a couple of months ago, to average at about just over 1/2 an inch/month.

Why are you planning to grow it to knee, and then cut it back to classic?

Cinnamon Hair,

Thank you, I did not think of straight across. I will think about it. I like the idea of the U and working around that. At least it will give me time to see what the rest of her hair will do.

Nice picture in the link. Makes me shiver at all the damaged hair. Worse, I have seen much of it on my head. The thickening one looks similar to my pulling my hair wet once it was damaged.

Darkhorse,

I am glad you have a hair dresser you trust. I agree it is hard to find one that you trust.

longhairedfairy,

I agree, with cutting when tangling. I do that with mine. I find it so much easier to cut a bit off, especially when oiling, pampering does not work. I think it helps the rest of the hair from getting as damaged.

MeMyselfandI
August 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Ummmmmm; now this is puzzling. You conclude twice that your hair DOES NOT grow faster when you do not trim it. Then you finish by saying that you are not trimming now because you want to get to knees as quickly as possible. This does not compute.

spidermom,

I read that to mean that cutting does not speed up growth for her. So, not cutting will get her to her goal faster since she will not lose any lenght from a trim.

spidermom
August 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM
spidermom,

I read that to mean that cutting does not speed up growth for her. So, not cutting will get her to her goal faster since she will not lose any lenght from a trim.

But that isn't what she said. She said "for the first year, I wondered if my hair would grow faster with no trims. It does not." and so forth

MeMyselfandI
August 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
But that isn't what she said. She said "for the first year, I wondered if my hair would grow faster with no trims. It does not." and so forth

spidermom,

What I read from it, after she caught her hair the first year, she monitered it. She did not notice any faster hair growth then before. She then decided to cut it a second time, still she did not notice any quicker/increase growth after cutting.

Maybe she will explain it differently, maybe I misunderstood. I am thinking along the ways, I explained, because I have read posts in which some people have said their was not growing or growing very slowly after a trim, they noticed an increase of growth, so I am assuming that she did not notice an increase in growth after a trim.

I love your hair. is it silver or very light blond. For years after I started growing grey, I told people I wanted to have long silver hair, like someone I knew. I was shocked that some hair started changing or growing from light golden brown to black. That was when I dyed my hair last year for the first time.

Katze
August 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Personally, I'm trimming my hair to try to get rid of long, straggly layers and see-through ends, and because my hair is thin and fine anyway and I want it to be as thick as it can be.

Since coming to LHC I have probably cut off over 20 inches of hair, but it really wasn't quality hair. My hair was bleach, dye, and heat damaged, and just letting it grow long wouldn't have gotten me hair I would have been happy with.

Spidermom was a big help when she told me to keep trimming the ends so that my layers would catch up and my ends would thicken up. So far, it's worked, and even though I sometimes get frustrated that my hair is still "short", I am very happy at the overall condition it's in.

spidermom
August 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
spidermom,

What I read from it, after she caught her hair the first year, she monitered it. She did not notice any faster hair growth then before. She then decided to cut it a second time, still she did not notice any quicker/increase growth after cutting.

Maybe she will explain it differently, maybe I misunderstood. I am thinking along the ways, I explained, because I have read posts in which some people have said their was not growing or growing very slowly after a trim, they noticed an increase of growth, so I am assuming that she did not notice an increase in growth after a trim.

I love your hair. is it silver or very light blond. For years after I started growing grey, I told people I wanted to have long silver hair, like someone I knew. I was shocked that some hair started changing or growing from light golden brown to black. That was when I dyed my hair last year for the first time.

O.k., well, I've been wrong before (many times), and I may be misunderstanding what Stagecoach meant by her post. I hope she comes along pretty soon and clears this up.

My hair is all mixed up. In some lights it can look as dark as milk chocolate. In other lights, it is as pale as moon-glow (like the current picture). The salon where that picture was taken was very brightly lit. I'm definitely going from dark blonde to silver and/or white.