PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions from curlies?

Saryn Jumail
December 8th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Hello!

I have recently gotten my hair to curl the way it is supposed to again, but I have a problem.
It looks really good if I shower in the morning, and then gel it up and wear it down all day. Problem is, I absolutely HATE showering in the morning, so usually what happens is I wake up, and my curls go into a bun on top of my head all day, because they got messed up overnight and look too horrible to wear down.
Then, of course, I get tons and tons of tangles.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to wear my hair down, but I don't want to shower in the morning.

Wahinee
December 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Wear your hair damp in a high ponytail covered with a satin bonnet to bed and let it free in the morning.

And you can get a spray bottle with water and maybe a little conditioner to refresh your curls in the morning

rock007junkie
December 8th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Do a search for pinapple method...it should keep your hair for the morning.

DinaAG
December 8th, 2012, 11:02 PM
check this channel it got a lot of great recipes for curly hair: http://pinterest.com/LolaZabeth/diy-hair-care-recipes/ you can make a good one of them and leave it in your hair over night in 4 buns to keep your curls looks great and defined in the morning?

Dars
December 8th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Silk pillowcases are amazing for keeping curls.

Quixii
December 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I also prefer showering at night. I'll often put it up in a cinnabun when it's still dripping wet, and then in the morning take it down and shake it out. That seems to actually help my curls form a bit.

spirals
December 9th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I second the spray bottle suggestion. I have yet to find the perfect recipe, but I know adding a few drops of oil cuts down on the frizz it can create.

DancingQueen
December 9th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Silk pillowcases are amazing for keeping curls.

I second this, it really helps the tangles. Also, you can just flip your hair over your pillow when you sleep, that way, the volume and the curls will stay fairly intact. It takes a little getting used to, but after two weeks, you can't imagine sleeping any other way. :)

Kiwiwi
December 9th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Do you then sleep with wet/damp hair?
If your curls are dry when you go to bed I would suggest carefully (as to not disrupt the curls) making 2 pigtail braids, sleeping on a satin pillow case, and in the morning carefully take them out, spritz some water on your curls and scrunch a bit. That should help.
But if you go to bed with wet/damp hair then I don't really know what you should do.

LadyCelestina
December 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I also prefer showering at night. I'll often put it up in a cinnabun when it's still dripping wet, and then in the morning take it down and shake it out. That seems to actually help my curls form a bit.

Quixii,how do you secure your cinnabun?

I'm more of a wavy,but I sleep on loose wet hair or braid it if I want the uniform braidwaves texture.
In the morning I re-wet it and smooth some conditioner ( sometimes also gel) over.

Hair "styled" this way sometimes lasts as long as three days for me,I wash as often as every other day or every day because of my oily scalp,not because of a hair bush :D

QMacrocarpa
December 9th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I don't really have advice for wearing curly hair down, the main thing you want to do, but I have a suggestion that might make your buns less tangle-generating, if you are really bunning on top of your head: either place the bun lower down, or try the "upbraided" style where you make a braid at your nape, hold it up against the back of your head and add a clip to keep it in place, then take the remaining end of the braid and make a braided bun on top of your head with that. This way you can have a high bun without "directing" the hair upward from the roots, which I think can lead to tangles for us tangle-prone folks. I like to braid Dutch-style for the "upbraided" style to minimize the bump at the base of the braid.

Saryn Jumail
December 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM

I tried this today and it worked really well! Thank you so much for the tip!

Quixii
December 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Quixii,how do you secure your cinnabun?
Spin pins or a smallish claw clip. :)

I tried this today and it worked really well! Thank you so much for the tip!
Oh good! I'm so glad to hear that.

CurlyCap
December 19th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Yep. I co-wash at night and then soak up the dripping water with a towel. I then add any leave-ins and put it into a bun while it's relatively wet.

In the morning my scalp is dry, but my hair is damp and can curl almost normally. To style for the damp, I wet my hands and run it quickly over my canopy to dampen it. Then I take my bun down and shake my head upside down. My hair dries curly and there's no need for morning showers. It's not my natural curl pattern, but it's very pretty and uniform. Plus, since I sleep with the bun on the top of my head, there's lots of volume at the crown of my head.