PDA

View Full Version : Smoke-Smell

Miss Unruh
December 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Hey,
I have a problem. I'm currently in Ireland, doing an exchange year. My hostmother smokes, only in one room, but the whole house (except my room, thankfully) smells like smoke. So does my hair. I can't smell it when I'm actually in the house, but as soon as I step out I want to cut my hair off when I smell it. I don't want to wash my hair every day, and by now I have the impression, that it doesn't really help anymore.
I already searched this forum, but I haven't found anything that really helps me.
Does anybody has an advice for me, what I could trie?
And could somebody explain what "avc" means? I found it in one thread about smoke in hair, but i couldn't figure out what it is.

Thanks a million in adance

millyaulait
December 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
ACV is an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse.

To help mask any smoke scents you can add an essential oil to help.

Basically use this after you shampoo/condition:

1-2 tbs apple cider vinegar
4 cups of water
1-2 drops of your preffered EO

You could also have a look at the 'What's in your mister bottle?' thread, I'm sure a lot of the recipes in there would help as a refreshing spritz between washes. :flower:

akilina
December 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I feel your pain :( I lived in a house full of smokers. I don't smoke cigarettes though. It was horrible having myself smell that disgusting for 10 months and what was more lame was that I, myself, was not even the one to make ME smell bad.
I kept my bedroom really good smelling but it got worse when winter hit and the heater would come on...it blew all that nasty smell right into my room and I ended up covering up the vent completely. I tried everything. I would burn incense, spray Fabreeze, and have fresh Glade Plug ins going all the time.

My only combat was dousing myself in perfume, really. I really don't know if there is any other way to avoid it. ACV rinse might help but for how long? Its bound to get to you very shortly after..and especially if you stretch your washes.
As for clothes/your belongings..maybe you could make your own refresher spray...mix hot water, a little bit of fabric softener, and just a little bit of baking soda in a spray bottle and shake it up really well. I always make this and spray it on our clothes in the closet/ bedding/couches/etc..

Even after all the spraying, washing, etc..it was still unavoidable. Is there any way you can ask her to crack a window or turn a fan on when she smokes? Tell her that the smoke is really bothering your lungs and gives you headaches.. I know it does that for me.

I will say the only light at the end of the tunnel for me was moving out.

**edit** I know your only concern stated was about your hair..Im only trying to help though hehe. Living in a smokers house was like hell for me.

inertia
December 8th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Have you tried keeping your hair in a bun while in the house? I'm a smoker and my hair picks up much more smoke smell when it's loose than when it's in a bun. Basically, the less surface area you expose, the less smell will stick to the hair. Braids are better than loose, but buns are best of all. Since you're not the one smoking, I'd guess this method would probably work even better for you than me.

Dr. Girlfriend
December 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm seconding Inertia's suggestion that less surface area exposed = less smell. Braid or bun up if you can. This has worked for me to keep my hair nicer if I'm outside burning brush. It seems like the smoke does not permeate the entire mass of hair this way. I'm not sure how open you are to product or if this one is availible where you are, but one thing that I've found covers up cigarette smoke smell very nicely is Tigi Bed Head After Party hair smoothing cream. I've used this after hitting extremely smokey bars and it covered up the scent quite nicely and lasted for a long time as well. ACV rinses might also be a way to get the smell out of your hair when washing, but I don't know if they would work for covering the odor in between. As Millyaulait said, a pop over to check out misting solutions might be worthwhile as well. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

jacqueline101
December 8th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'm a smoker and if you wear your hair up it does help. Perfume helps too. Lucky for me I'm a light smoker. I don't smoke maybe 3 cigarettes a day. I'm trying to quit.

Wahinee
December 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I would try some vinegar diluted with water in a spray bottle. When I was a smoker, I would keep bowls of vinegar around my house to make it smell better.

Dorothy
December 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I add cloves to my henna to make it smell good, the smell lasts for days. I wonder if that would mask it, if you mixed clove powder with conditioner and let it soak in for a bit? I agree with bunning and also maybe wearing a scarf over it in the house. If you don't have scarves they're not hard to find at thrift stores.

AutumnLocks
December 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have yet to find a remedy for having that smell on me. I think that it just naturally clings to some people worse than others. I have worked with people and had no idea that they even smoked until I saw them actually lighting up. We have neighbors who smoke and it didn't take DH and I long to figure that out. Even though I have never been in their house I can tell that they smoke. One afternoon I had our dog out in the yard and the wife pulled into their driveway. She didn't even have to get out of the truck and I could smell that stench coming from the vehicle. I just don't know how anyone would want to have anything in their mouth that smells like that....:steam

LadyKate
December 8th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Cloves smell great, and they are kind of a natural deodorizer, but be cautious with cloves/clove oil, especially if you have sensitive skin, because the oil can be an irritant.

DinaAG
December 8th, 2012, 11:41 PM
have you thought of essential oils perfume? the orange/lime one with cinnamon or lavender will erase the smell and make your hair smell like heaven!

Fantak
December 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I third inertia's comment. Keep your hair in a bun (I like braided buns but if you don't want waves then you don't have to braid it) and preferably covered with a scarf while in the house. It will help loads. You could cover with a shower cap but then you risk looking silly :D

I remember once being invited to dinner and went with freshly washed lovely bouncy hair, only to realise it was a teriyaki style dinner! I didn't want my hair smelling of meat and sautéed vegetables so I used a chop stick to put it in a tight bun which seemed to keep the worst of the smell out :)

Miss Unruh
December 10th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks a lot for all these ideas!
I never really let my hair down, it is always up in a bun, but I'll try the scarf.
If I understand yous right, essential oil perfume is basically essential oils with water or other oils sprayed in the hair? I don't really get it^^
I really gonna try this.
The sunshine-trick works well, only thing is: Ireland in December isn't exactly the sunniest place to be, and I rarely have sunshine here^^
And it's getting very cold here, so I can't just open the windows in the living room or something like this. And as long as it doesn't stuck in my room I don't really want to say anything.

DinaAG
December 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
just an essential oil you can spray "a little" from it or mix it with your leave in and here is a recipe just in case http://www.ehow.com/how_5066127_make-essential-oils-orange-peels.html

Sarahlabyrinth
December 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I was thinking you could cover your hair with a pretty scarf, then hopefully it wouldn't be exposed to the smoke at all. I can't imagine living in a house with a smoker. It must be dreadful for you!

Firefly
December 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Fight fire with fire: burn incense! In many cultures women "infuse" their hair and clothes with it. The only other thing that ever helps me get that smell out of my hair after I've been to a party where people are smoking is a brisk walk in fresh air. Hope you find something that works for you!