PDA

View Full Version : Weird theory

ilovelonghair
August 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I don't know if this could be true, but I have been thinking about it and it seems to be a logic explanation :D

This is the idea: the amount of hair someone has (I mean how thick their ponytail is) depends on how the hair is placed on someone's head, but also on how big your head is. For example, I asume that someone with a low forehead would have more hair then someone with a high forehead. Because there is just an extra bit of hair growing on that persons forehead that the other doesn't have. Also the hairline at the nape might be a factor as well: some people's hair at the nape starts very high up, but others don't have that. Also for some people the hairline behind the ears is either closer to the ears or further away. All these factors I believe would result in more or less hair.
The other thing is, some people have a really big head and thus more scalp. If I compare my scalp with my boyfriends and his mother and sister who all have so much more hair, but also bigger heads, lower foreheads and their hair grows differently at the nape and behind the ears. They have 3 times more hair then me!
Of course there are also factors like how thick each single hair is and how dense the hair is placed on the scalp. But I think if you'd had 2 people with the same hair density and thickness of each hair, but their hairlines were different and the shape of their heads as well, it could very well be that one has twice as much hair as the other!

Arctic
August 24th, 2008, 02:55 AM
That's an interesting theory and might have something in it :) I have noticed sometimes the difference in hairline also. Ofcourse there are always exeptions :) But big heads? I would be offended if someone called my head big :shocked: ;)

(ETA: not trying to imply that I would have thick hair :lol:)

SeaPhoenix
August 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
My sister and I have similar sized heads... if anything maybe mine's a tad bit bigger than hers... but, her hair is at the very least, twice as thick as mine. Forehead size isn't too much different, though strangely enough, her forehead line has always looked thinned and balding - and is still looking like its receding a little bit over the years - my hairline has always been steady with the rest of my hair, with no receding hairline look. (neither of us have large foreheads, or overly small... can eyeball my profile photo for a forehead guestimate lol)

I'm not sure if it was always this way - as I never gave her hair much attention when we were kids or teens lol... but as adults, waaay thicker and heavier. It's a touch more course than mine as well.

I wonder sometimes if all the hair dye I used as a teen through young adult played some role in making my hair so much thinner than hers... (I dyed my hair every month, sometimes twice a month, from age 14-18... took a break for about a year, then hopped back in the chemical band wagon until I was about 23-24 when I switched to henna - whereas my sis never dyed her hair as a teen, and though from time to time she played with hair dye, it was never on a steady basis)

ilovelonghair
August 24th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I think hairdye can be very bad for hair, but not sure if it would do permanent damage. I also used to dye my hair as a teen every month. Even worse: I bleached it and permed it. Later I started using henna, but that didn't help my tortured hair. It didn't want to grow anymore, I could at the most grow t BSL. Not sure if that had to do with dying it for so many years. I also had a poor diet and was ill, so that could have played a role as well.
After I started using henna (I had buildup and a nasty color) I grew out my hair till it was all virgin again, but still it didn't grow.
It only started to grow again when I started dying my hair again. But it was no bleaching, I dyed it black. And I couldn't understand how my hair would accept that and start growing!
I think especially after very harsh treatments hair and scalp needs to recover for a while. For me especially bleaching and perming altered the way my scalp acted: it would start to get really dry, while normally I have a bit of an oily scalp.

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with you, and mathematically this can be shown. The thickness of the hair depends on the average density of the follicles on the scalp, the size of the scalp's area (the hairline and head size differences you talk about) and the average thickness of the strands. Changing any of these will affect ponytail circumference.

Another factor is the percentage of hair that is not long enough to reach the ponytail. This can be caused by deliberate cutting (fringe, for example), breakage, differences in hair growth and hair fall cycles from person to person.

spidermom
August 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think hair thickness has most to do with density of hair follicles on the scalp, which is genetic. I'll pay more attention now that you've brought this up, but I'm pretty sure I will see big-headed people with thin hair and small-headed people with thick hair as often as I see the opposite.

anna1850
August 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hmm... I do have a large head. It's not noticeable when looking but I remember as a child whenever I'd do rock climbing etc. they'd always have to go find an adult size helmet for me. Plus my forehead is quite low.

I don't think my hair would be 'thin' on a smaller head but I think it makes sense that it would affect it.

berr
August 24th, 2008, 10:09 AM
That's an interesting theory and might have something in it :) I have noticed sometimes the difference in hairline also. Ofcourse there are always exeptions :) But big heads? I would be offended if someone called my head big :shocked: ;)

(ETA: not trying to imply that I would have thick hair :lol:)

I have a huge head.

Pullovers can be difficult.

My kids have big heads. I tell them it's from their massive brains.

Shanarana
August 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I have to agree with the OP. The same can be said for why people will reach different lengths with the same amount of inches. Torso size and neck length all seem to play a part in how quick someone will get to a certain point compared to someone else.

ilovelonghair
August 25th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I have to agree with the OP. The same can be said for why people will reach different lengths with the same amount of inches. Torso size and neck length all seem to play a part in how quick someone will get to a certain point compared to someone else.

So true! I'm quite tall, so my hair always looks shorter. My boyfriends hair looks like it doesn't grow, but that's because he's really really tall. In the past he has had hip lenght hair (and it could still grow longer), so that would mean if that was my hair it would be extremely long.

Katze
August 25th, 2008, 02:43 AM
yes, and no. :D

I have a huge head (60cm; womens' hats don't fit me though 'XL' mens' do) and relatively thin hair. Last I measured I was at about 2.5". I think this is genetic - my mom and her family all have thin, fine hair - grandma (who had a huge head too) was starting to go bald when she died.

My brother, who has the same size head as me but is bigger, went bald very young so he almost has no hair at all. Interestingly, because he shaves what hair he does have, his head looks small, whereas I think mine looks big.

I guess if you tended to have coarse hair, lots of it, and a smallish head, the theory would work, but there are just too many factors coming into play here.

Leisha
August 25th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I think for me it could be true - I have a big head (hats usually don't fit me; I always tell people it's because of all the hair I have but secretly I know it's (also) because I just have a big head :uhh: lol)

But yeah, there are more factors too. But head size and forehead shape/size etc is one of the factors that can determine how thick your hair is :)

Curlsgirl
August 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I have a medium sized head according to hats and a high forehead compared to others and bangs but I still have about a 5 inch pony circumference. I do see what you mean though. If I had a large head and a lower forehead I would have more room for hair to grow and more thickness.

sahiba
August 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I don't know about the head but I was told by a friend once that I don't have long and thick hair as hair on the head describes well hair on the body and those who have thick hair on head surely have hairy bodies. to me this was a weird theory.

sahiba
August 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Sorry for eating up couple of words.:doh: She said I should be thankful for not having long and thick hair.

ilovelonghair
August 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I don't know about the head but I was told by a friend once that I don't have long and thick hair as hair on the head describes well hair on the body and those who have thick hair on head surely have hairy bodies. to me this was a weird theory.

LOL, no I think that's not true. Bodyhair does not relate to scalp hair. When I was in high school my best friend and I always tried to come up with strange theories and she came up with the following:
that if a man had chest hair he would go bald. We really believed that, but it's so not true.

sahiba
August 27th, 2008, 11:53 PM
LOL, no I think that's not true. Bodyhair does not relate to scalp hair. When I was in high school my best friend and I always tried to come up with strange theories and she came up with the following:
that if a man had chest hair he would go bald. We really believed that, but it's so not true.

And what makes you say that?:eyebrows:

burns_erin
August 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I actually agree with this head size theory. I have a friend with hydrocephaly, and he has an enormous head. His ponytail thickness was 6-7 inches, but if you looked at his scalp it was easily visible. i on the other hand have only a bit over 4 inch circumfrence and you would be hard pressed to get to my scalp.

Dee 08
August 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Ya i agree with you.

Lamb
August 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Ya i agree with you.

With whom? On what? :confused: (sorry, I just don't know what you mean)

bunnii
August 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM
My hair is 2 3/4 inches thick, so not overly thick, my hair is fine but boy do I have a HUUUGE head :D I went to buy a bicycle helmet and I had to get the second largest mens helmet *hides head in bin through enormous head shame*

SO maybe the fineness of my hair makes up for the ginormous head issue? hehe