PDA

View Full Version : How do I cover my highlights?

Mahars
March 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I have highlights that are growing out. They're light brown and my natural color is dark brown - almost black. I have two inches of natural roots and I'm looking for a way to blend in the roots with the length without spending too much.

I've already tried to hendigo, but I had to use 100 grams of henna and 200 grams of indigo because my hair is so thick. It's been about a month and a half and the indigo is all gone but all the henna remains. Now I have a red tinge all over that only shows in the sun and reddish highlights.

My question is, since my hair already has henna on it, would an indigo gloss work to cover my highlights, or do I need to use henna too and do a full application rather than just a gloss? I'm worried that indigo alone will create a funny purplish color. I'm not sure if it will work over the henna that's already on or if I have to add more henna. Anybody know?

andrea1982
March 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I've never used indigo, but to cover my highlights when they are growing out I used to use one of those non-permanent hair colours that wash out in 28 shampoos. Natural Instincts is what I used. I never found it damaging to my hair, and it blended my highlights for a while until they grew out more. You could also try some darkening rinses, like coffee, tea, sage or rosemary, all though I'm not sure how effective they are. Good luck!

Mahars
March 18th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the idea Andrea. I used to use deposit-only color that washed out before switching to all-natural products. If possible, I would like to avoid chemicals, but I am considering just doing it a couple of times to blend my roots. Thanks!

FaeryTails
March 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I have a similar problem, with coloured dark brown ends, but with light brown roots showing. I've being using a combination of Amla oil and Kapli Tone powder to dark the roots non-chemically.

Nightshade
March 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM
You could always try simmering rosemary for awhile to get a concentrated tea and then pour that through your hair several times. :) There was another post recently where someone covered grays without henna, but damned if I can find it :o

birthmarkie
March 18th, 2008, 08:49 AM
If the highlighting was done just on top, you might be able to try parting your hair in a different way and hiding the highlighted portion. I know it's a stretch, but thought I'd mention it.

Keiera
March 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Rinse your hair with dark dark roast coffee. It'll take a few weeks, probably, but I've used it before and it adds a nice darker note to brown hair. It's also natural.

Mahars
March 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I will try the rosemary rinse and the coffee.

I'm still wondering if I can use indigo too though. I still have 200 grams in my fridge. I'm thinking of doing an indigo gloss but I'm not wondering how it will turn out. I don't want black or purple hair.

Celebrian
March 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, you can do an Indigo gloss over the henna already present in your hair. Just leave it for 20-30 minutes if you want dark rich brown. One hour plus for darker still... !

If it goes a bit too dark, some will wash away over the next few shampoos. Eventually it will stick permanently though...

I often do/redo the Indigo glosses. :magic:

Mahars
March 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks Celebrian. It's good to know somebody has tried this before. I think I'll give it a try in a few days. I'll probably heavily dilute it with conditioner.

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
the grey coverage one nightshade mentioned was by mellie i think?
I thought if you apply indigo to prehennad hair it turns the hair black in an hour- but also fades. Indigo is not as permanent as henna.

wintersun99
March 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Indigo is not as permanent as henna.

oops, not true in my case. indigo stayed despite all attempts on my part to fade it, a very dark brown almost black, on me. be very very very careful with indigo, there is NO guarantee that it will fade, although glosses for very short periods of time (I would do no more than 20-30 mins) may be o.k. especially if you plan to cut it with conditioner.

ktani
March 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Mahars

You could also try molasses - it conditions too - moisturizes.

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=163) is a great recipe, IMO - with picture.

Celebrian
March 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
the grey coverage one nightshade mentioned was by mellie i think?
I thought if you apply indigo to prehennad hair it turns the hair black in an hour- but also fades. Indigo is not as permanent as henna.

No, I think most people will tell you that they lose a certain amount of Indigo in subsequent washings, at first. After about 2nd/3rd application, it will tend to stick. But there will always be exceptions to this because of different hair types and hair condition.