PDA

View Full Version : I've back-combed!!! >_<

Bagginslover
December 7th, 2012, 06:28 AM
My hair wasn't behaving this morning, and so I've done a bad thing-I've back combed it!!!

I really wanted it to look nice as its the last day of term, but I just couldn't get my usual buns to work, so I have it in a ponytail, with a back-combed 'bump'.

I've not used hair spray on the back combing, and I plan to remove it using lillithmoons shaking method. I've also not back-combed my hair since I was about 10 (so over 20 years ago!), and the comb got stuck in my hair! I was very gentle, using my denman brush instead of a comb (didn't have one to hand, this was out of desperation!) and rather than coming to smooth, I left the front section un-back-combed.

How damaging is it going to be?

Carolyn
December 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I do it quite often. I do it gently and comb it out gently. I don't think it's all that damaging.

Bagginslover
December 7th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Thank you Carolyn! Good to hear you do it often with no ill effects! I'll stop worrying so much now :)

Carolyn
December 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I think it's the combination of back combing and hair spray that causes so much damage.

spidermom
December 7th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Shame on you!
(just kidding; I have no issues with back-combing)

lapushka
December 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Just wait and see. I'm sure it's not going to indefinitely damage your hair!

vanillabones
December 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I used to back-comb all of the time to hide scalp cleavage and get some volume, I would like to do it again but I'm afraid of the damage it could cause :( Is it OK to do?

HintOfMint
December 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Just wait and see, some people get damage from just looking funny at their hair and others can torture it into submission daily and leave with barely a scratch. Just watch out for breakage at the roots since that's where you teased (backbrushed). I had my hair back brushed once or twice in the past year and I think my hair is just fine. I wouldn't do it too often. It lifts the scales of your cuticle, which is why you get the volume. The problem is smoothing them back down. Some may go back down, other scales just may break off, leaving damage in your hair, which may accumulate over time.

sakuraemily
December 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM
The comb used is important. too fine-toothed and it will remove cuticles.

jojo
December 7th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Even the word back combing sets my teeth on edge but im sure once in while wont hurt. I like to straighten once in a while ; hair is for enjoying, else theres no point in aving it!

Rivanariko
December 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I think the damage has more to do with how rough you're treating it. When I see my residents backcombing, they're RIPPING the comb backwards, and then RIPPING it through again, then coating it with hairspray. THAT is damaging. If you take out the ripping and hairspray, I can't imagine it's too bad. Besides, once in a blue moon isn't going to ruin it. Your hair is to be enjoyed, do whatever makes you happy with it!

akilina
December 7th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I dont think anyone should feel so much shame over a little back combing ... :/