PDA

View Full Version : Those small victories.

Hypnotica
December 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I found a way to wear hairsticks again....!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8250689926_7fbfec917e_m.jpg

white.chocolate
December 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I, er, learned how to do a nautilus the other day... after a year at LHC...

Tota
December 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/5/4ad8e375-9711-4bca-85d9-635b32a7fe7f.jpg

That's all I can say ;)

Hypnotica
December 6th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Nautilus? Could do it - gave it up 3 years ago. Can't get it to stay any more.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I found a way to wear hairsticks again....!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8250689926_7fbfec917e_m.jpg

So gorgeous!!! And shiny, but what is that bun? And how do you do it?

white.chocolate
December 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Did I misunderstand the purpose of this thread...? :eek:

Why did you give up? If you have managed to use a hairstick again, and I really like what you did, I don't think you can't not make a nautilus hold.

jojo
December 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Ive at last found a braid that doesnt loosen at my nape and stays in all day!.... Only took me 7 years!

jacqueline101
December 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I like that. Don't laugh I just learned how to do an english braid bun.

Zesty
December 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I second wanting to know what the bun is. I can't do a nautilus anymore either, and it used to be my daily go-to. Now it's the LWB.

millyaulait
December 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Your hair is stunning, Hypnotica..... Total hair envy over here! :thud:

Yozhik
December 6th, 2012, 04:23 PM
How long is your hair now?

That bun looks massive and luscious! :)

~honeyflower~
December 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
First post with my flower countdown, let's see if it works!

eyesofsummer
December 6th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Gorgeous hair! And I adore those sticks :crush:

Hypnotica
December 6th, 2012, 10:42 PM
How long is your hair now?

That bun looks massive and luscious! :)

Half an inch or so over knee.

Hypnotica
December 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I don't know if the bun have a name.

What I did was making an infinity sign and then just wrap the hair behind it.

Hypnotica
December 7th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Maby I should do a tutorial?

white.chocolate
December 7th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Yes, a tutorial would be really nice. :) To tell the truth, I have been checking this thread just to figure out what kind of bun you did... if it already existed. It's really pretty!

Hypnotica
December 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Yes, a tutorial would be really nice. :) To tell the truth, I have been checking this thread just to figure out what kind of bun you did... if it already existed. It's really pretty!

Well, as I wrote I did an infinity sign and wrapped the hair behind it. The effect is that you are using your own hair as a slide.

Yozhik
December 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Very cool, Hypnotica. I hadn't realized your hair had gotten so long.

I had a suspicion when I saw that updo that your hair must have considerable length to produce such a massive bun.

Unfortunately, as I'm not planning on growing my hair that long, I don't think I'd be able to recreate your bun, or at least not with its great proportions.

Curly Hermione
December 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Very pretty! I still cannot do a nautilus or braid properly, and only just recently learnt how to do an infinity bun :)

jeanniet
December 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Wow, I had no idea your hair had gotten that long! Amazing...yes, please do a tutorial, just so we can see your hair and how you wrap it up. I just love your hair.

jojo
December 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I like that. Don't laugh I just learned how to do an english braid bun.
Hey well done, i could english braid but it slackened at my nape, if you start a little higher up as though your doing a french, it stays in all day! Im not laughing, im pleased for you.

Hypnotica
December 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Very cool, Hypnotica. I hadn't realized your hair had gotten so long.

I had a suspicion when I saw that updo that your hair must have considerable length to produce such a massive bun.

Unfortunately, as I'm not planning on growing my hair that long, I don't think I'd be able to recreate your bun, or at least not with its great proportions.

I don't think you need very long hair to do it actually. But I guess you just have to try. If I have the energy, I will try to do a tutorial....if I can come up with some nice music.

Carina
December 8th, 2012, 07:16 AM
I look forward to that tutorial ,Hypnotica.
Right now my hair has just passed apl.

HintOfMint
December 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I finally found the perfect combination of conditioner and leave-in that keeps my hair from frizzing and getting bushy and frizzy at the bottom. Turns out, for me, it's Herbal Essences conditioner (Tousle Me Softly or Totally Twisted) and Aveda Universal Styling Creme. One doesn't work the same without the other, so I know it's the combination. I'm breaking all the rules I had for myself--used to be no cones, protein, and aloe (my hair never responded well to straight aloe gel), but my routine has all of them and this is the best routine I've had. It really is the formulation of certain products and not just a single ingredient that will say how my hair will behave.

Hmm, maybe not such a small victory after all.

LaurelSpring
December 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Good topic! Great encouragement. Last Feb. I got frustrated when my hair got too long to do any of my usual things and I ended up cutting off a good bit. Of course, several weeks later I regretted it. Now I am determined to push through next time.

My most recent victory is mixing melty shampoo bar bits and baking soda in a squirt bottle for shampoo. I finally have something that is natural, cleans well and doesnt leave me feeling gunky.

prismfaerie
December 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Your hair is so pretty, I'm jelly! :)

Could I ask where you get your lovely hairsticks

Hypnotica
December 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Your hair is so pretty, I'm jelly! :)

Could I ask where you get your lovely hairsticks

They are from Nightblooming's Etsy store.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 9th, 2012, 04:12 AM
.http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/japanesebunFC-1.jpg http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/japanesebunFC.jpg

Hehe I can now do a japanese bun, only one wraparound with the hair but still....

WaitingSoLong
December 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Ive at last found a braid that doesnt loosen at my nape and stays in all day!.... Only took me 7 years!

How?

The best braid technique I ever discovered was the 4 to 3 strand technique. I haven't used anything since!

dmilton
December 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I love your hair hypnotica! I have recently mastered the lazy wrap bun. (I'd never really tried using hair sticks before and it'd always fall out whenever I tried a cinnabun).

Hypnotica
December 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I love your hair hypnotica! I have recently mastered the lazy wrap bun. (I'd never really tried using hair sticks before and it'd always fall out whenever I tried a cinnabun).

That is a bun that I have given up on. It looks so BAD on me.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM
How?

The best braid technique I ever discovered was the 4 to 3 strand technique. I haven't used anything since!

What works for me WSL is dividing the hair into two parts horizontally across the scalp at around ear level, or slightly above. Then the lower layer of hair is divided into two (vertically) down the middle of the scalp. This gives you 3 equal pieces of hair ready to braid. Begin the braid with one of your side pieces, it should be fairly high up, a little like a French braid would be.

This holds beautifully for me and firmly and doesn't loosen up and annoy my ears at all. Hope these instructions are understandable!

Maelyssa
December 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
That would be great! I'm loving the bun and the sticks you used.

WaitingSoLong
December 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM
What works for me WSL is dividing the hair into two parts horizontally across the scalp at around ear level, or slightly above. Then the lower layer of hair is divided into two (vertically) down the middle of the scalp. This gives you 3 equal pieces of hair ready to braid. Begin the braid with one of your side pieces, it should be fairly high up, a little like a French braid would be.

This holds beautifully for me and firmly and doesn't loosen up and annoy my ears at all. Hope these instructions are understandable!

Yes I get it! I have done that before. I guess my method works better for my hair.

My small victory....I managed to get my new hair fork in my hair for a little while yesterday even with my bum hand. But I can tell it will take some practice and trying different buns to see which works best. The worst part....DH didn't even notice. :mad:

jojo
December 12th, 2012, 12:05 PM
How?

Here you go WSL its so simple yet effective http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Here you go WSL its so simple yet effective http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA

HA! That is my 4 to 3 strand braid. Same thing! LOL! Ok well I do it slightly different and it ends up a bit lower and looking more like an american braid only it is symmetrical which I LOVE and it doesn't pull at all.

I wore this today and an old lady asked me if I braided that all by myself. LOL

Long_hair_bear
November 4th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Life's little victories are sweet! Not only have I been declared hip length by my gals at the LHC, but upon measuring my bun for a shelot, I found out that I went fom 4" circum. when I joined the LHC in Jan 2012 to a 7" circum now!

Reviving this old thread to say it!