PDA

View Full Version : Please help. Hair shedding like crazy. wedding 2 months away :(

ancilla
December 6th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I don't know what to do to get my hair to stop shedding. I have tried almost everything.

It has been slowly thinning over 2-3 years. Since this past summer, it has been increasing intensely. I am starting to see more of my crown scalp skin than I ever have. I'm 29, with (about) hip length 2b medium/coarse, otherwise perfectly healthy hair. It makes it even more painful to see it all coming out when I know how silky and healthy it is. Before you tell me to go see a doctor, I don't have health insurance. I would have gotten that taken care of a while ago if I had.

Here are some factors:
1. Got blood tests done 2 years ago (when I had crappy student insurance) because I was worried about thyroid issues. Got the run around with my results. Was told by a receptionist nurse that my doctor said everything was fine. I wasn't sure whether to believe it.
2. I have been going through a LOT of stress lately, with the wedding, and with grad school and with work.
3. I used to have an eating disorder but I do not engage in that behavior anymore (5 years ago) so I don't think it is a nutritional problem, I eat relatively low carb and pretty healthy.
4. I was diagnosed with iron deficiency (anemia) in my late teens, but I'm afraid to start taking iron supplements without consulting with a doctor first.
5. I was taking prenatals over the summer, and stopped because I was afraid that was what was causing it (I am not pregnant, and never have been) but I don't think it was that because its gotten worse 2 months after stopping.
6. I henndigo every 2 months or so. I am very gentle with my hair, only occasionally using sulfates to clarify, and condition it well. I keep it up most of the time.

I am thinking the only option for me now is to let my hair grow and put in clip in extensions (not for length, for thickness) for my wedding. I wouldn't feel beautiful, or like myself without my long hair, I WILL NOT cut it for the wedding. I would feel hideous. If I have to, I might cut it afterward.

I started taking L-Tyrosine to help healthy thyroid function, might start taking the prenatals again, contemplating MSM when I have more money, and I just ordered this ayurvedic scalp oil http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035CFY24/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I'd love to try Invati by Aveda but there is no way I can afford even one part of the set :(

pictures:
may 2012
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Syndhrod/009-1.jpg

sept 2012
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Syndhrod/002.jpg

dec 2012
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Syndhrod/001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Syndhrod/009-2.jpg

sarelis
December 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Oh hun, I'm so sorry to hear this :( Without being able to go to a doctor it may be difficult to find a cause, and thus a solution to your problem, and with a wedding looming trying to cut out stress must be nearly impossible, especially as you are having concerns over your hair. I f you could bear to post them pictures may help someone to see what may be wrong? Also, do you henndigo your hair significantly darker than your natural colour? I dye may hair darker, and when the lighter roots show it makes my hair look like it's thinning, because of the contrast, so it might not be so bad as you think. Do you notice a lot of shed hair? As in, is it actually coming out before your eyes or does it just look thinner? Sorry I can't be more help xx

Seeshami
December 6th, 2012, 11:11 AM
My new favorite shampoo has helped with shedding, not that I need help or worry about it. And it smells awesome. Call up your local Walgreens and drug stores and see if any of them sell Tio Nacho. I noticed the difference in three washes.

http://www.amazon.com/TIO-NACHO-MEXICAN-HERBS-SHAMPOO/dp/B0051UH84A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354813879&sr=8-1&keywords=tio+nacho+shampoo

jacqueline101
December 6th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'd try to get a second opinion on your doctor results.

DancingQueen
December 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
You can try priorin. It helped my shedding stop in just a few weeks.

Agnieszka
December 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Ancilla, one thing what comes to my attention is that you use henndigo. I do have thin hair and they were always that way but two months ago I have used henndigo and had such a major shed shortly after that I thought this time I'm getting bald for sure. It stopped a bit now. I'm not saying that everybody react like this but maybe for some henndigo might cause hair fall.

ancilla
December 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the support and recommendations :). I'm going to post some pics soon, just waiting for my hair to dry to take a recent one.

ancilla
December 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
added pictures.
Just wanted to add that I don't think it is the henndigo. I took a long break from it from May to October after having done it consistently every two months for about 4 years. If anything it seemed my increased hair-fall started after I stopped.
Sarelis - yes tons of shed hair. it's everywhere, my cats have been choking on it and tons comes out when I condition and detangle. All hairs have a bulb attached. All are long hairs :(

theodora
December 6th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I know this seems like the obvious answer, but I think it might be stress-related more than likely. I was very stressed out last year between finishing my PhD and organising my wedding and I shed loads. I can see lots of regrowth now.
The only thing I can say is try to relax and don't obssess about it, it doesn't help. It's one of those things when sometimes you just got to ride it out.
If you feel like clip-ins will help you feel at your best for your wedding, go for it! Just don't beat yourself up about it (I know many people who would, not saying that necessarily you would).

Zesty
December 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
It's always good to get it checked out at the doctor, but since that's not too feasible for you I would probably attribute it to stress. I was having horrible mental health problems for a while and shed a ton and my hair definitely thinned out some (I measured), but it's stopped now that I'm on medication and more calm/happy. I know planning a wedding can be really stressful, so maybe it's that? Either way, I'm sending hugs your way. It's really hard to deal with hair fall when you're taking such good care of it.

ancilla
December 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM
hugs to all of you :flower: Thank you so much for trying to help.

It is probably stress. I'm basically just waiting for the shed to stop, then focus on regrowing. I was microtrimming for almost a year, but it doesn't help if your hair just keeps shedding like mad.
I'm really interested in trying that Tio Nacho shampoo, I might see if I can find it at my Walgreens.

Maybe I should think about taking Kava Kava or something. My anxiety is probably not helping.

DinaAG
December 6th, 2012, 07:10 PM
you need to go to a doctor and make a new blood test dear..also taking a good multivitamin is important for your whole health, sports may help with stress?

Not Lynn Merely
December 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I agree that you should see a doctor.

If you are scared of taking iron pills, would you consider eating more iron-rich foods (http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-10-iron-rich-foods)? Upping your iron intake could really makes a huge difference in your health. My little sister is anemic, and taking iron pills has helped her so much.

And, if you can, relax a little. Take a bath, very gently massage your scalp, do something silly and calming. Think on how, whether your wedding goes well or poorly, after it you will be married to your love, and that is all that really matters.

UpNorth
December 7th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I vote for stress too. And nutrition is very important as well. I would try a highly nutritious diet with lots of iron, maybe magnesium supplement for the stress and try to at least sleep a good eight hours in a dark room every night. And ask people for help with all the planning and stuff, stress is so damaging. Its more important to be healthy and having fun, after all a wedding is about love and you need to remember this time as a fun and loving period, not a stressful one only to have an absolutely perfect wedding that lasts one day.

OT, I'm not saying you are a perfectionist and a bridezilla (hate that word) but it is pretty normal to stress out just to have one perfect day. For example, a close family member did this. she had the most perfect wedding with guests from all over the world (yeah) She had been with her husband to be for eight years, but she divorced him short after the wedding because she was so stressed out from work and planning and sh*t so she never saw him. Such a waste!

UpNorth
December 7th, 2012, 01:54 AM
And your hair is still beautiful! Don't cut it. Do you want it down for the wedding?

spirals
December 7th, 2012, 02:10 AM
(((Hugs))) I wish I had an answer for you. The only thing that stopped my shedding was giving up shampoo. I just wanted to try something new and natural and it turned out to be a good thing. I was already eating healthy/mostly homemade from scratch for 3 1/2 years before that, so I guess it wasn't a nutrition issue. Maybe detergent on my head just isn't a good thing. I don't know.

UpNorth
December 7th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Spiral: The funny thing is that it is the exact opposite for me! I shed like crazy with the CO method and much but a little less with WO. Almost nothing with shampoo though:) I guess we are all different. I use nothing but natural products for other reasons though! I really wish I could do well without shampoo.

I have never had any problems with shedding. When I started to eat right for my body I gained a lot of thickness though, even though I ate what I believed was healthy before.

sarelis
December 7th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Hey Ancilla, I have just read a thread on Nioxin, it's pricey but a lot of people reported less shedding and an increase in new growth while using it, I have never used it myself so I can't recommend it from personal experience but it might be worth your while having a read up on it :)

erialc
December 7th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I've been shedding SO much for years. It kept increasing until I this summer finally decided that it couldn't be normal to pull out handfuls just by running your fingers through it. So I went to the doctor and got blood tests done and it showed my iron levels were very low. Since I started with iron pills I barely shed at all. It feels so good to know I might get some thickness back again and that there's a reason behind the shedding. I can even run my fingers through my hair without getting a single hair stuck!

So, please, go and get tested to see what could be wrong. It's not normal to lose that much thickness.

It is possible to up your iron levels only through diet though, if you don't want to take pills and if you really don't have the possibility to see a doctor.

Ligeia_13
December 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Definitely get another set of blood tests. Since you say you were diagnosed with iron deficiency when you were younger, it may be the reason. May I ask, have you noticed any hair loss on your outer eyebrows?

itdontmatter48
December 7th, 2012, 05:41 PM
A cast iron skillet helps with anemia, my best pan ever. It may be easier than a doctor right now.

Seeshami
December 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM

It is probably stress. I'm basically just waiting for the shed to stop, then focus on regrowing. I was microtrimming for almost a year, but it doesn't help if your hair just keeps shedding like mad.
I'm really interested in trying that Tio Nacho shampoo, I might see if I can find it at my Walgreens.

Maybe I should think about taking Kava Kava or something. My anxiety is probably not helping.

It smells so good and if you can't find it, we can work together and I don't mind going and picking some up for you and shipping it to you.

spirals
December 8th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Definitely get another set of blood tests. Since you say you were diagnosed with iron deficiency when you were younger, it may be the reason. May I ask, have you noticed any hair loss on your outer eyebrows?That's a sign? I had no idea. I have bald outer brows I've been treating with castor oil. But maybe my iron levels were low. I did have anemia as a child due to *ahem* eating plant food. (I don't know why; I was 2. LOL) I am also vegetarian. But I eat a lot of beans and lentils. So maybe the brow thinning really is due to age, as it was for my mom, who has always been an omnivore. All I know at this point is that since June my hair fall is significantly less, since I stopped shampoo, but my brows continued to thin. My diet has not changed int he last 6 months; I'm boring that way. It's all a mystery to me. Hmmmm

Ligeia_13
December 8th, 2012, 05:36 AM
^ not of iron deficiency, no. It's a sign of hypothyroidism. Which can cause hair loss among other things if it's untreated so I thought I'd ask. I'm currently in the midst of a hypothyroidism fuelled shed.

bunnylake
December 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
It's likely stress, or stress is contributing at least. Try setting aside time for yourself each day if you can, to meditate or take a bath or a walk, anything that will decrease your stress level. Meditation and yoga are very effective stress reducers.
Good luck!

Javadandy
December 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hello there,

I am so sorry to hear of your hair misfortune. As other posters have mentioned, it may be your thyroid. Thyroid, the stress hormone cortisol and iron storage (ferritin) are all interrelated. I was dx'd hypo in 2001. My first doctor said I was "normal" and in fact I was pretty sick. :taz: The eyebrow thing is just another annoying feature. Nioxin or Rogaine or other type of hair fall preparations don't work with hormone related loss, it says on the box in the fine print. There are a lot of symptoms of being hypo that I would have you check out these links and maybe it will give you the information you need.

http://thyroid.about.com/

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/your-thyroid-gland

http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-hypothyroidism/ (http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-hypothyroidism/)

In a nutshell, when I was trying to get diagnosed, one thing I noticed other than the falling, was that my hair growth had practically slowed to a halt and the texture of my hair was dramatically different. It was coarse and dry and had a distinct s-wave. As a young woman, it was slightly wavy and fine, and after I started thyroid replacement, it stopped falling, and returned to the fine texture and was better than ever.

My hair is the primary way I can tell whether I am getting enough medicine. I have auto-immune thyroiditis detected by antibodies, even if the other numbers are "normal".

Stress just compounds the problem. The prenatals aren't a bad idea, they are often prescribed for women trying to conceive, so they should be ok for you to take...only my opinion.

I hope this is helpful. Try to take time to relax daily to fight the stress, eat right, and maybe get a second opinion.

Please take care,:flowers:

Marian

getoffmyskittle
December 8th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Hey ancilla, indigo triggers A LOT of shedding for me. Could that be it?

Fantak
December 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hi I wish you all the best :)

I strongly suggest saving money from supplements and getting a thorough blood test. There is a lot more than your health at risk if you have thyroid or other issues. Two years is a long time for a shed and it would be a sign that there is something not right.

Let us now how it goes :)

WilfredAllen
December 13th, 2012, 01:25 AM

Kava is the best ^.^ it really helps take the edge of my anxiety. Im so sorry about what you're going through. It must be so hard to lose so much of your beautiful hair while you're taking such good care of it. If it's any consolation, I think it looks gorgeous now, and the thickness would seem normal to someone who didn't know what was going on - you had very thick hair to begin with! But beyond that, this is probably a symptom of something that's affecting your overall health, which is worrisome. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this.

Sorry I have no advice :( but hang in there

Elanadi
December 13th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Having gone through my own shed over the summer while finishing grad school, I soooo feel your pain. I switched to an organic cone and sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, but I think the real help was finishing school. Big hugs, and fingers crossed it stops soon.

jel
December 13th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I also strongly suggest a blood test. A couple of years ago I went through a major shed - within 6 months or so, my pony circumference went from 3.9" to 3.2". My doctor found that I had low iron storage (ferritin), although I wasn't anaemic (my haemoglobin was tested several times a year, when donating blood, and was always sufficient).

To cut a long story short, the prescribed iron supplements stopped the shedding in a matter of weeks. I think I had to take them for 6 months before retesting showed my ferritin was high enough. Since then, my hair has been steadily thickening, and I've measured my ponytail just recently, and am at 4.2"! Thicker than before! :D

Good luck with all the exciting stuff in your life, and take good care of yourself! :grouphug: