PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts?? Help

tweetylonghair
December 4th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I am seriously trying to contemplate a helpful cut. I have waist length in a v cut. The underneath is the oldest bleach, faded color... and the most tangly and knotted at times... and even breaking at times.. I was thinking.....What would the pro's and cons be of cutting the underneath part up to BSL length to help with knots and growing out process??? Please any opinions or thoughts , would be great I am really contemplating this.

akilina
December 4th, 2012, 10:19 PM
How much of a difference in length would there be (I mean in inches). I know you said you are waist but for me BSL and waist are hardly 2 inches apart.
I feel slight concern because I have done things like this in the past and absolutely regretted it for 2 years to come until I finally just chopped a huge 8 inch chop. >_< That all depends though, on how much shorter it would really be. Is maintaining at your length right now an option for you for a while even out the lengths after you do cut the underneath shorter?

tweetylonghair
December 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM
The difference is about 4 1/2 inches and yes I would be maintaining the rest at the length it is.

akilina
December 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
If you think it would not drive you nuts I would say go for it.
:)

CurlyCap
December 4th, 2012, 10:50 PM
My nape is actually naturally shorter than the canopy. I have curls to hide a bunch of it, but it still looks fine when I straighten or put it in magnetic rollers. If you have the thickness to have the very bottom be slightly thinner than the rest of your length, I say go for it. So much better than dealing with snarly ends all the time!

MetsaNeiu
December 4th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have also old bleach/chemical color, though not only underneath. I now how tangly it can get and that almost has made me want to make a bigger chop. I have done some inch or 2 chops since last summer, and my hair's now about midback length but there's still a long way to go to get the old color grown out. Sometimes an inch or two trimmed makes a difference as for the tangling part (at least has for me!), even when there's that damaged hair left still.
I'd also say go for it, or if you feel there's too big a difference between the underneath and other length, you may try by cutting one inch first, and another later? But, if the difference doesn't bother you as a thought, just do it, it might really help with the tangling!
:)

biogirl87
December 4th, 2012, 11:55 PM
You could try doing an ACV rinse (1 tablespoon ACV to a cup of water) between shampooing and conditioning to see if that helps with the tangles. If it doesn't, then go for it. If your hair tangles badly now, it could cause big problem later on as your hair continues to get longer.

lmfbs
December 5th, 2012, 01:02 AM
If it was me, I'd chop it all, not just the underlayer. I've had a shorter underlayer before and it was annoying, and I think it caused more damage.

DinaAG
December 5th, 2012, 01:21 AM
have you tried protein treatment for it? even coconut oil? they help alot much better than cutting

spirals
December 5th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I've done it and was totally happy with it. I loved having no more snarls, and my hair is thick to begin with, so it took off some of the weight.

Carolyn
December 5th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Wouldn't a shorter underlayer mean see through ends? Personally I would rather have a shorter length and nice thick ends. I would cut and grow again.

door72067
December 5th, 2012, 05:29 AM
my nape hair grows excruciatingly slow, so it wouldn't be for me, but as others said, if the length difference wouldn't drive you crazy, give it a shot

WaitingSoLong
December 5th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Ok I feel there is strength in numbers and you are asking for more damage on the thinned ends if you cut like that. Just my opinion! :)

itdontmatter48
December 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I would enjoy the healthy thick hair, albeit shorter.

jacqueline101
December 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'd try to find alternative methods to get rid of the issues with tangles and damage before cutting. Then if nothing works I'd try the two week rule.

turtlelover
December 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I think a shorter underlayer would just look weird and amateur-ish. I would either leave it alone or cut it all.

lapushka
December 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'd be afraid of thinner ends as well, besides from BSL to the length you're now is a huge chunk of underlayer to be missing (and to allow for see-through ends, well not just ends... a huge see-through chunk of hair).

HintOfMint
December 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I had badly damaged hair in my underlayer--not from anything glamorous like dye or bleaching, nope, just good old fashioned tangles. I did an aggressive S&D and then actually cut out whole sections bluntly because there just wasn't enough to save. I don't regret it at all, but my hair was thick enough to hide the disparity.

Lostsoule77
December 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I think it really depends on how thick your hair is. If it's thick enough then I say go for it. The front of my hair was always more damaged than the back so I just would cut it off. Modified that to a U hemline now, but it worked for what I needed it for. Plus it was almost always up so noone would notice.

If, however, your hair is normal or thin I think cutting just the under layer is a bad idea. I would trim it all in that case. The see through ends would not be flattering. In this case I'd only trim about 2 inches and baby the heck out of your hair with tons of treatments. Whatever works best for your hair. Then just maintain until all the damage is gone and continue to grow.

Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

Oksana
December 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'm also agreeing with cutting the whole hemline a few inches. I took two inches off back in September and the decrease in tangles was really noticeable.