PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Mineral Oil/Baby Oil Without all the Extra Ingredients in the UK?

cathair
December 4th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I have been on a quest for mineral oil today, but I haven't been very successful. My hair drinks up so much oil I am guessing that is is losing moisture, so I thought I would try some mineral oil. I have tried every chemist and supermarket I can think of and I can't find any that are just mineral oil and perfume. I think it was Isopropyl Palmitate that was the ingredient that should be avoided? I am not actually sure why or what it does though.

Every version of Johnson's baby oil (I think there are 4 kinds now) contains Isopropyl Palmitate and two of them have other ingredients as well.

Wilkinsons do their own band of baby oil, which doesn't have Isopropyl Palmitate, it's ingredients are:
Paraffinum Liquidium, Isopropal Myrstate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract and Parfum.

I am guessing Isopropal Myrstate is similar to Isopropyl Palmitate?

Boots do one for sensitive skin which looks promising, the ingredients are:
Paraffinum liquidum (Mineral oil), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasilioxane.

Are either of these two suitable for using on hair? :confused:

Most of the stuff online I have seen comes in massive bottles of at least 5 litres. It seems to be used in cars and as sheep laxative too! Is this stuff different? Not that I would really want 5 litres of mineral oil...

ChloeDharma
December 4th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Try Neals Yard Remedies or Baldwins, I know Baldwins at least used to sell it.

Bunnysaur
December 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I have one of the Johnson's baby oils, I think it's the Shea butter one. It only has mineral oil, shea butter, something else (not Isopropyl Palmitate) and fragrance.

cathair
December 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Try Neals Yard Remedies or Baldwins, I know Baldwins at least used to sell it.

Thanks very much for your reply.

I went to the Baldwin website searched for mineral oil, that doesn't bring up any results. If I search for baby oil it brings up this:

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/aromatherapy/synergy/body-bath-oils/baldwins-synergy-infant-massage-oil-50ml/

But is seems to be based on almond oil rather than mineral oil. Have I looked up the right Baldwins?

I had a look at Neils Yard earlier, I haven't heard of them before but came across them via boots.com. They do a baby oil:

http://www.nealsyardremedies.com/Pure-Baby-Oil

But it seems to be based of jojoba and olive oil, so no luck either really. If I was actually going to use them on a baby, I imagine they would probably be better though, they sound nice :)

cathair
December 4th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I have one of the Johnson's baby oils, I think it's the Shea butter one. It only has mineral oil, shea butter, something else (not Isopropyl Palmitate) and fragrance.

Oh wow that must be a 5th kind! I think I saw a bedtime one which was purple, lavender I think? A yellow one I think that was camomile, a green one with aloe vera and the normal pink one. I don't think I have seena Shea butter one anywhere, I will keep an eye out for it thanks! :)

silverpiper
December 5th, 2012, 10:20 AM
You should be able to get plain mineral oil at a pharmacy - it's generally used as a laxative so it would be kept in that area.

cathair
December 5th, 2012, 04:26 PM
You should be able to get plain mineral oil at a pharmacy - it's generally used as a laxative so it would be kept in that area.

I never thought to look for or ask for it as a laxative! Thanks info :) I had been asking for baby oil or mineral oil.

So I've been looking at laxative, is liquid paraffin the same as mineral oil, like this bottle?

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/care-liquid-paraffin-150ml-15208

Wahinee
December 5th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Yes liquid paraffin is the same thing

You should be able to find it with kitchen wares near wooden cutting boards too