PDA

View Full Version : pH level discovery

silverthread
December 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Hello everyone! It's so good to be back:)

Since my last visit here, I've given up all commercial shampoos, conditioners, and soaps, because I never got consistent results and because of the effects they had on my hair and skin. I also began making my own shampoo and soap. I recently did some research on pH level for skin and hair and found that the proper pH level for skin and hair for humans falls between 4.0 and 5.5, and that anything over 7.0 and under 4.0 can damage the hair. So, I've been tailoring my homemade shampoo to fall between 6.0 and 7.0, and my after-wash rinse to fall at about 5.5. I've been happy with the results so far. Has anyone else experimented with pH levels?

LadyTheta
December 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Kudos, silverthread!
Glad to hear of your being so pleased with your own homemade shampoo & after-wash rinse blends.
Keep us posted of what you learn along the way.

white.chocolate
December 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I agree! I'm glad it's working out for you. May I ask what kind of results have you noticed?

The shampoo I was using prior to the one I'm using now was already in that pH range, so I didn't need to measure. But now, with a new shampoo I'm trying out, I have to find out its pH. Is it customary for shampoos not to include this little bit of info?

kaydana
December 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM
White.chocolate, I can't say I've ever noticed that information on hair products but indicator strips are dirt cheap so testing it yourself isn't an issue. I got 160 for £2.30 (about $3.70 according to google) and I doubt I'll ever need any more than that.

white.chocolate
December 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM
White.chocolate, I can't say I've ever noticed that information on hair products but indicator strips are dirt cheap so testing it yourself isn't an issue. I got 160 for £2.30 (about $3.70 according to google) and I doubt I'll ever need any more than that.

Yup, they are cheap! :D (I only have to purchase some.) The price wasn't the issue. It's that shampoo labels don't write it down I find weird.

kaydana
December 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Yup, they are cheap! :D (I only have to purchase some.) The price wasn't the issue. It's that shampoo labels don't write it down I find weird.

I'm not sure there are all that many people (outside of LHC) who know or care about the best pH levels for their hair. So I don't think they tend to bother.

DinaAG
December 4th, 2012, 12:12 PM
add citric acid to your recipe till its fully adjusted

white.chocolate
December 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure there are all that many people (outside of LHC) who know or care about the best pH levels for their hair. So I don't think they tend to bother.

You are right. We need more proselytes. :hmm:

...just kidding. But, it would be nice if people took care of what's in the products they're using.

silverthread
December 4th, 2012, 05:09 PM
My hair isn't brittle or lank. It seemed to always be one or the other with commercial products. Also, I'm able to control the porosity and my hair has more body.

Luminaria
December 4th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Hello everyone! It's so good to be back:) Since my last visit here, I've given up all commercial shampoos, conditioners, and soaps, because I never got consistent results and because of the effects they had on my hair and skin. I also began making my own shampoo and soap. I recently did some research on pH level for skin and hair and found that the proper pH level for skin and hair for humans falls between 4.0 and 5.5, and that anything over 7.0 and under 4.0 can damage the hair. So, I've been tailoring my homemade shampoo to fall between 6.0 and 7.0, and my after-wash rinse to fall at about 5.5. I've been happy with the results so far. Has anyone else experimented with pH levels? I've been trying to find ph balanced hair and skin products as well. I've found that Raw honey is great for washing my face because its ph is similar to that of skin. I've yet to find ph balanced ways to wash hair. I'm interested in making my own shampoo and conditioner too. Could you share some tips/recipes?

silverthread
December 5th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I've been trying to find ph balanced hair and skin products as well. I've found that Raw honey is great for washing my face because its ph is similar to that of skin. I've yet to find ph balanced ways to wash hair. I'm interested in making my own shampoo and conditioner too. Could you share some tips/recipes?

I got my recipe from the book "Berry Hairy" which was written by an LHCer. I boil 15 soapberry husks in 3 cups of water for 1 minute and let it cool, then blend it in my ninja, then strain out the pieces. When the suds subside, I add 1/2 tsp of guar gum, and 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, and blend again. refrigerate. That's my base. When it's hair washing day, I'll use 3 oz. of the base as is, or I may add some homemade oatmeal milk which is very conditioning, a whole egg which strengthens or 1tsp of MSM crystals for nourishment, to my 3oz. Of base. The base by itself has a pH of about 5.0. With oatmeal milk to egg it's about 7.

Because I have very alkaline water (about 8.0), I always follow my wash with a misting my 5.0pH spray, which is water, MSM and ascorbic acid. Occasionally I will then apply a very light amount of emu or apricot oil to the very ends.

I test the pH level of everything I put on my hair, to make sure it falls somewhere between 5.0 and 7.0. And I always finish it off with something that's closer to 5.0 to close the cuticle.