PDA

View Full Version : Growth Motivation?

Tehillim408
December 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Do you ever get tired of growing your hair? Are you ever tempted to cut it?

If so, where do you turn to for motivation? What inspires you to keep at it?

rock007junkie
December 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I usually hop on this forum. As soon as I start seeing all the gorgeous pictures from our mates it calms me down. We are all at a different point in our journey and some of us are not happy with our hair's current state but we are all in the journey together. Seeing that I'm not the only one with these issues it makes me calm down and re-think cutting. Hope this helps some.

SerinaDaith
December 4th, 2012, 08:32 AM
My old photos both short and BSL MBL I have small children who are always in my hair literally and I am still only shoulder length right now. Short hair and I should not be friends so I look at my "longhair" pictures and my pixie pictures and remember that if my hair is short it really is higher maintenance then when it is long enough to put up.

millyaulait
December 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Mostly envy! :D

I see people in day-to-day life (and this forum), or on television, with beautiful, long hair & it keeps me going.

pogo0685
December 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I get the urge to cut all the time mostly because of the henna I am trying to grow out and the damage I had on my ends, so in 2012 I cut off all of my new growth, for the most part it worked. So in 2013 I am not going to trim at all, just do s & d and put it up because I will have a baby and baby + long hair just does not work! I still have about 6 inches or so (maybe a bit more) of henna from the canopy of my hair, my undergrowth (is that what its called??) has no henna left. My husband makes me want to grow it longer, he keeps telling me to just leave it alone and it will grow. And then of course I come here and look at all the beautiful hair and that makes me want to keep growing.

white.chocolate
December 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Sometimes I do get tired of having long hair, simply because shorter hair is often more convenient. That's the only reason, and I think it's a good one. It needs some getting used to, I think, and also this is my first time having Classic+ hair. But I endure. ...I'd rather not say "endure" as growing hair really isn't hard especially if you want it so badly. Visiting the LHC is a great motivator. But, really, being able to do all those cool hairstyles without the worry of length is the best motivator! And I think long hair is very pretty!

melusine963
December 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I don't get the urge to cut it, but I do get very tired of how long it takes to reach my goal, and all the damage I need to trim off along the way. To stay motivated, I look at other people's pictures and compare them to the awful state of my own hair.

WaitingSoLong
December 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
My motivation is mainly the regret I know I will have if I cut. Bad past haircuts are one reason I started growing, that and the fact I just don't look "right" with short hair. Also, the upkeep. Shorter hair is harder to keep. Ok that depends on how short and how long, too. My hair is getting pretty difficult to maintain now but at least I don't have to "style" it.

Also since I am in the "longest my hair has ever been" phase, I am most curious about tapering and terminal on me. How will I know if I stop growing?

Why did you decide to grow in the first place? If that reason no longer appeals to you then don't grow it anymore!

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I keep my eyes on the this site and my mind thinking of ways to improve my hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I have to say LHC is a huge motivator for me! Getting to see everyone's photos and hoooping that my hair will be as beautiful if I only have the patience. Some benign neglect is required here, and also remembering how miserable I am every time I chop it off, you would think I would learn, lol!

torrilin
December 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'm not really in it to grow as long as possible. I like my hair to be "long" but anything past APL on me is long enough that I'm happy. Currently, I'm around waist length.

I have really fine and floaty hair, so it's pretty unpleasant to wear it loose. From about pixie to past BSL, loose hair will float and catch any air movement so it winds up horribly tangled very quickly. Hair too short to put up is actively unpleasant, and it makes me whine a lot. I hate it. I've also got super slippery hair, so a lot of the super short updos don't work well for me. This seems like a pretty common plight for fine and straight haired folks on this board.

Now that my hair is past waist, I can wear it down and it's not as huge a pain. No more floating up past my eyebrows! But I still tend to prefer up. And well, if it's up all the time either in a braid or a bun, there's not a whole lot of temptation to trim. I don't have to spend a lot of time thinking about it... I can just tie my hair in a knot, stick a fork or some pins in and call it good.

minxe
December 4th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I get tired of waiting for it to grow, and I often think about getting layers put in. I'd like for my bangs to blend in more with my length. But I know that if I did that, the hairdresser would probably chop off five inches, mess everything up, and I'd be miserable waiting for it to grow out again.

The things that keep me motivated are LHC, Pinterest, and compliments I get on it irl.

Loveisaverb
December 4th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I usually just look at my hairspiration folder which has like a 100+ photos and I have one photo that is like my ultimate hair length and everything. And then I'm good again, until the next time...:p

YumiYume
December 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
yes there was a time I wanted to cut it, many times because my hair felt bad, looked bad and I was tired off the thought of never getting to my goal. I wanted to find my own personal style, be done with my personal style and not half-done.. It was last years summer I think, and I had seen a girl with golden hair above her shoulders and I thought of how pretty that style is, and in anime series to the hair looks always nice.. I did concider a cut, but I did not.

but..

I then had to remind me of how pretty I think long hair is, That it will be worth years of wait and that I didnt really knew what style that is me anyway. all those pictures of fantasy creatures with hair so long and lovely, I want hair like that to.. and everytime I see a girl in real life that have longer hair than me, I get jelous and think how pretty hers(and she) look and mine does not, I am not the one with the most beautiful feauturer and thinking of how beautiful my hair could become does make me feel better. I feel proud to be able to talk about CO washes, and good things and bad things, And be in this journey with you guys makes me feel home, I really enjoy it here and it does make it al so much better and the compliments I get from you makes me happy, you make me motivated, I see all your pretty hairs and someday mine will be long to :)! I know long hair is ME, I just have to get there again :)!

Tota
December 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I motivate myself by being on LHC and I also like to watch this: http://long-hair-problems.tumblr.com/. I also like to watch long hair pics on Pinterest to stay motivated and keep away from scissors.

Rhodugune
December 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I have always wanted my hair long, for as long as I can remember.
My first memories is from when I was 4 years old, asking my mum to please not keep it short and she told me that when I could care for it myself, wash and brush it I could keep it long, so I was about six when I could do that, how very proud I was. :joy:

So I have never lost my motivation to let it grow, never for I second thougth about cutting it off, all I have done is wondered a little about how other shorter hairstyles would look on me, but it has always stayed at that.

It's a such easy choice for me, but I have to say that my hair wouldn't be as long and healthy if it wasn't for you guys, you have helped me so much and I enjoy it so much more too since I joined, you guys are the best :flowers:

Happytresses
December 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I come to this site. I look at all the wonderful pictures. I read the advice and then I just wait (cricketts in the back ground). What I try to do is realize that I need patience. So I pretend my hair is much like my daughter when I send her to go clean her room. :disco:

shutterpillar
December 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM
That would probably be looking back on old pictures of myself and remembering what my hair looked like shorter and how much work it was to fix it every single day. I like my hair and it's routine much better now.
Also, this forum is a great motivation, as is looking as some of the inspirational pictures I have found on various places of the internet and saved to Pinterest.

Long_hair_bear
December 4th, 2012, 04:12 PM
The LHC and mega long hairs like JJJ Longhair and torrinpaige help me. Long hair can get annoying, but if I didn't have it, where would I put all my pretty hair toys? :D

AutumnLocks
December 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM
My inspiration is my DH who loves long hair. The last time I had a short cut was 11 years ago and that was revenge on the guy I was dating. He was messing with a friend of mine behind my back and I knew he loved my long hair so I cut it all off. Right after the haircut I dumped him via e-mail and he never saw me with short hair. Yea I know....stupid to cut off my beautiful long hair just because I was angry at someone else. Now I have a wonderful husband who treats me like a queen so I use that as my inspiration for growing it out.
I asked DH over the weekend if he would trim my hair and he didn't say no, but he also didn't say yes either.

erialc
December 5th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I just remind myself of how much of a hazzle it is with short hair. Every time I've cut it shorter than shoulder (which is many times) I've absolutely HATED it, because I can't wear it down without styling it first, it's too short for any updos and it's just a pain in the ass to make look good. I find a lot of short hair styles to be really pretty, but I've learnt that it just doesn't go with my personality and my hair type so I'm not tempted to cut it anymore.

Chromis
December 5th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I don't need any motivation not to cut. My hair does not behave very well when short and besides where would I put all my lovely hairtoys with shorter hair?

lapushka
December 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
The longer it's getting, the less I want to cut it. That's why I call everything between chin to BSL an "awkward" stage, because back then I still wanted to have it cut, colored, have whatever done to it basically. Once it gets below BSL, it's all smooth sailing from there, if you can figure out at least one updo, that is.

MrsGuther
December 5th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Do you ever get tired of growing your hair? Are you ever tempted to cut it?

If so, where do you turn to for motivation? What inspires you to keep at it?

Whenever I get bored with growing out my hair, or get the urge to trim or chop it(I don't really get the urge to chop it anymore, more so the urge to get a blasted trim) I just hop on YouTube and learn some new hairstyles to do. I like Torrin Paige's hair tutorials a lot.

itdontmatter48
December 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM
One and only one reason, wanting long hair again! And LHC.....

WaitingSoLong
December 6th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Whenever I get bored with growing out my hair, or get the urge to trim or chop it(I don't really get the urge to chop it anymore, more so the urge to get a blasted trim) I just hop on YouTube and learn some new hairstyles to do. I like Torrin Paige's hair tutorials a lot.

I find YouTube does help quite a bit, plus googling long hair images. Just beware of the crud you may find with it. It helps most to choose someone with my hair color and type.

One and only one reason, wanting long hair again! And LHC.....

LHC is a two edged sword. Honestly, I never would have made it this far without TLHC, but then, I see such fine specimens of shorter, well cared for, hair here and it is SO hard not to cut back to an "easier" length.

longNred
December 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM
my current motivation is what my hb said to me the other night... as I was combing it out on the couch watching TV... "wow honey, your hair is GETTING long". mind you, it's at waist now. not it IS long. it's "getting" long. and it can just keep on getting there...

WaitingSoLong
December 6th, 2012, 08:23 AM
longNred, that reminds of the day my 16yo son said to me "I never realized your hair was so long" (after one of his friends identified me as the lady with the really long hair). Ah well.

trolleypup
December 6th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Really, I have no motivation to not grow it longer. It is easy to manage and take care of, any attention I get is positive, work doesn't give a damn (not doesn't give a damn so long as I do my job, but really doesn't care). Motivation to keep growing is curiosity and laziness.

Interestingly, past knee, I'm starting to leave it down more...don't know what's up with that.

Chromis
December 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Really, I have no motivation to not grow it longer. It is easy to manage and take care of, any attention I get is positive, work doesn't give a damn (not doesn't give a damn so long as I do my job, but really doesn't care). Motivation to keep growing is curiosity and laziness.

Interestingly, past knee, I'm starting to leave it down more...don't know what's up with that.

I'm finding it behaves better as it has gotten longer for me. Maybe it is the extra weight? I know at BSL my hair was always *everywhere*

WaitingSoLong
December 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I'm finding it behaves better as it has gotten longer for me. Maybe it is the extra weight? I know at BSL my hair was always *everywhere*

Oh no! :( That sucks! I was thinking shorter=more tame.

Chromis
December 6th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Oh no! :( That sucks! I was thinking shorter=more tame.

Oh goodness no! Not for me at least, and as likely know, I started off from no hair. Mine started to behave better a bit past classic and I could finally wear it down easier somewhere midway to knee, but it is much easier now.

WaitingSoLong
December 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Oh wow so I should hold out? I was going to try for FTL this coming year but honestly am SO close to cutting back some.

Chromis
December 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I would say to give it a go! I try and let my hair overshoot my next milestone a little and then trim. That way I still get the growth marker and nice fresh ends too.

trolleypup
December 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Somewhere around mid-back it kinda behaved for a while, but it really didn't settle down til approaching classic. Now my biggest issue is that I am gaining length at 1/2" per month, and my reflexes aren't keeping up...my tips can reach stuff I am not used to!

Oh no! :( That sucks! I was thinking shorter=more tame.Oh goodness no! Not for me at least, and as likely know, I started off from no hair. Mine started to behave better a bit past classic and I could finally wear it down easier somewhere midway to knee, but it is much easier now.
One difference is that mine has always been fairytaled and (honestly) rarely squeaky clean, so the taper and tendency for the hair to stay together keeps things somewhat under control. I won't lie...clean fluffy slippery hair is nice, but holy cow it is everywhere! and won't stay up...but it still tangles just as easily as WO spectrum hair. (I am ashamed to mention how far past due I am for heavy S&D sessions!)

RileyJane
December 14th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Sometimes....but mostly my old pics of when my hair was waist length and perfect keep me going, and that i CAN have that again! my motivation now is that im trying to make sure it is at its longest possible in one year when i go on vacation with a few friends :)