PDA

View Full Version : S&D Methods

Xxanderia
December 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hey all,
Recently I've been noticing I'm having more splits in my hair than usual. I'm pretty sure I know what's causing this though (lack of a good brush/wearing down most of the time.)
My question is that I've never really done an S&D before, and I was wondering what the method to this is. Would I just take a small section and give myself a time limit on it and try to find as many splits I can during that time? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Also, totally unrelated, I do plan on wearing my hair up more to fend off the splits, however I'm a complete newbie when it comes to buns, and I have bsl slightly layered hair. Any ideas of what buns would work for me?

Thanks everyone!

melusine963
December 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
S&Ding properly takes many hours (even on my thin-ish hair), so I divide my hair into four sections and S&D over the course of a few days. I'll make one part straight down the centre from forehead to nape, and another from ear to ear. That way it's easy to re-part my hair in the same place later on. I'll start by pinning three sections completely out of the way. Then I'll single out a very thin section from the remaining large section and look through it very thoroughly, starting as high up the hair shaft as I can see. I keep separating out very thin sections to look through until I've thoroughly checked that entire quarter of my head. By that point I'm usually cross-eyed, so I stop for the day.

I would rather S&D very thoroughly over several days than give myself a time limit and allow many splits to escape. To avoid utter boredom, I listen to music or play a DVD in the background. If your hair is dark, S&Ding against a light surface will make the splits much easier to see. If your hair is light, use a dark surface.

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
I start by making four sections two top and two bottom I work from right to left right upper to right lower. When I get done with each section I re pin it up until done. Make sure you're using hair scissors that are sharp. Cut with nice even movements don't get your hair caught that will cause splits and white dots besides splits get cut off.

melusine963
December 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Also, totally unrelated, I do plan on wearing my hair up more to fend off the splits, however I'm a complete newbie when it comes to buns, and I have bsl slightly layered hair. Any ideas of what buns would work for me?

Layers can make it more difficult to create updos, but as long as you don't mind a few bits of your hair sticking out here and there you should be fine. Take a look at these tutorials. They're all for easy buns that should work on BSL hair.

Nautilus bun (you'll need a hairstick or pencil): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE
Cinnamon bun (you could also use spin pins for this): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrM8JQR3sUE&list=PLB1F6E520426E57A5&index=11&feature=plpp_video

PrincessIdril
December 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM
If I want to do it thoroughly I'll section my hair like previous posters have suggested. However I don't always have time for that, so when I'm in a rush I braid my hair and then examine the end of the braid and trim off any I spot there. After that I look at all the hairs which are sticking out of the braid. The benefit of this is that it is quick and I find it reduces the odds of snipping the wrong hairs, however it does mean that only splits/dots present at the end of hairs can be dealt with and not the ones further up the hair shaft, but I don't get many of those so it's not really an issue for me.

Xxanderia
December 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys! I think I will probably do it over the course of a few days. I have little patience, but I do want to get as many as I can. Maybe I'll start with the braid and then go from there.
And thank you melusine963 for the hair links! I'll attempt them soon and hopefully get a picture or two up!