PDA

View Full Version : Removal of those small silicone hair ties

Libbylou
December 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Is it me or does everyone have a problem getting them out of their hair. Seems my hair just wraps around those little stinkers. I am new to this longer length hair and I have no clue. I feel it must be me, torrinpaige uses them all the time for small braids and I have never heard her complain.

Viola88
December 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
I've read that some people gently snip them out with scissors since they aren't expensive.

millyaulait
December 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
Yep, my hair somehow gets caught around the darn things, so I wind up getting some form of breakage. :\

shutterpillar
December 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
I haven't been able to wear those since my hair was shoulder length, and even then it would snag sometimes. Now the only way I can wear them is at the end of a braid.

neko_kawaii
December 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I can only use them at the end of a braid, and then they have a tendency to fall out! Grrrr.

mermaid-nina
December 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
I use these for little pony braid things - not sure how to describe them lol, tiny ponies along the front hair line, then crossing over into a second row.. I can't post pics either. And for cane rows. I use a metal pin comb to slide them out.

ArienEllariel
December 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
I have to be exceedingly careful when putting them in that they don't roll up on themselves or I get a huge tangley mess when I try to remove them. Even so, a lot of the time I end up carefully cutting them out. It's better than dealing with breakage.

PrincessIdril
December 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
My hair hates them too, I can only ever use them at the end of a braid. Any higher up my hair and the result is usually tangles and breakage

Seeshami
December 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
I haven't had issues with rolling them out of my hair. The naughty mess says it's because it's the only way he can spit them out and that's why it works.

melusine963
December 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
I always find them very hard to remove without tearing at my hair, so I try not to use them too often. When a certain style calls for them, I make sure to use the ties as close to the ends of my hair as possible, to limit the damage to an area that will get trimmed off before too long.

patienceneeded
December 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hmm, I have never had any issues with those types of hair-ties. Weird. Hope you can figure out the problem!

jasper
December 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Is it me or does everyone have a problem getting them out of their hair. Seems my hair just wraps around those little stinkers. I am new to this longer length hair and I have no clue. I feel it must be me, torrinpaige uses them all the time for small braids and I have never heard her complain.
Torrinpaige has wonder hair! I have fine hair and will usually have a strand or part of a strand clinging to or wrapped around the little silicon hair ties when I take them out. Usually I limit them to the end of a braid, if I can't get away with leaving the braid unsecured.

elea
December 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
they are a nightmare to take out

especially on curly thin hair
carefuly cut them out

JamieLeigh
December 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
I only use them on very small braids (like accent braids, or if I'm doing my whole head in tiny braids for tighter waves), and I always use nail clippers and snip them. I don't use them often, so it's not a big deal to buy more if I need them.

white.chocolate
December 4th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I don't have any problem removing them. I don't roll them out; I initially tie them loosely but secure enough, so it's easier to untie them later. I'm a 1a with M/C hair, so would that make things different? :hmm:

auburntressed
December 4th, 2012, 05:04 AM
10 thingy..........

Nae
December 4th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I cut them out if they give me a lick of trouble. Is patience a virtue? Sure. Is it a virtue I have when I am trying to remove those little things? No way.

clairenewcastle
December 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
I've only used silicone hair ties a couple of times and lost so much hair each time I'd never use them again. I suspect they are one of those hair toys which people risk having to cut their hair out of if they use them.

Anje
December 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM
They seem to weld to themselves and to my hair when I use them. So I switched to terrycloth and hosiery ties. (Check the dollar stores for those!)

white.chocolate
December 4th, 2012, 07:55 AM
They seem to weld to themselves and to my hair when I use them. So I switched to terrycloth and hosiery ties. (Check the dollar stores for those!)

I have never heard of these before, nor seen them. I can't find them on google. I doubt they are thin like silicon ties, but are they thin enough to stay hidden under buns?
I'll see if I can make a tie with some old stockings...

kaydana
December 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I only use them at the ends of braids and they normally come out pretty easily, if they put up any sort of fight at all I cut them out with nail scissors. They're ridiculously cheap (mine cost 0.1p each) and often won't stand up to a second use anyway (I always double them up if I reuse them), so it's no huge loss to cut them out.

neko_kawaii
December 4th, 2012, 08:50 AM
For those looking for alternatives, very small claw clips work to secure the end of a large braid and if their color is close to that of your hair they can blend-in in an updo. Single or double braids turned into a bun for instance can have the ends secured with little claws, as can braids left down though then you run into the problem of a small hard lump somewhere on your back when you lean against things. In an updo the claws can also add structure if you adjust them so they also grab some hair near the scalp. I use the silicone ties for the ends of microbraids and rarely anything else.

jojo
December 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I use the teeny ones for braided updos, i can never find them in my hair when i take the bun down, they break off in my hair!