PDA

View Full Version : Ive reached waist length after one year and now I want layers- Would it work? (Pics)

Dreamkitty
December 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
I remember taking a pic one year ago but I somehow deleted them accidentally but I have let my hair grow with regular trims and have reached waist length.

Ive decided I really do want long layers but I would like advice on whether layers would work with my hair texture. All I want is layers and don't want to straighten it or use any hairsprays that the hairdressers recommend to you use because I can't be bothered to do all of this.

I would like movement in my hair but because it is thick and wavy it just stays rigid, so thats my reason for getting layers, also I like the idea of layers framing the face. And of course LHC members with lovely long layers give me inspiration as well :)

I know I made a thread about this a few months ago but I just wanted to post the pic of my hair to see whether it will work or not. If layers won't work with my natural hair texture, I will just keep my hair as it is, as in one length I would appreciate some advice thanks.:) This is how my hair looks after shampooing.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2a0ktb7.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/160r49g.jpg

rock007junkie
December 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm sure layers would look beautiful but you hair looks so amazing that I wouldn't touch it.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Your hair looks perfect, it's fine just the way it is, IMO. :thumbsup:

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM
I like your hair the way it is but you could get layers.

Moloik
December 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
I agree with the rest. I wish I had so beautiful hair.
You should do whatever you feel for :)

dulce
December 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Your hair is lovely and looks thick enough for layers at this length but remember layers can be problematic for a lot of buns and braids,making it more difficult .I grew out my layers as it was difficult to get a neat french braid where my shorter layered ends didn't keep popping out.I guess if you wear it loose a lot it wouldn't matter,also it would depend on the length of the layers,longer layers rather than shorter would be easier.With layers you can also get a more tapered hemline and thinner braid[I did] so that might be a concern.Why not check with a stylist that you really trust and see what they say? They can evaluate your hair the best.If your hair is super thick you may not encounter my problems[mine is average thickness]

Dreamkitty
December 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and advice:) well I always braid my hair into a single plait for practical purposes, when im at work and it feels comfortable. As odd as it sounds, I have never let my hair loose but if I had layers I would love some movement. At the same time, Im not sure if I would regret the decision. I mean I have become so used to plaiting my hair, that is all ive done the past few years. Just a simple plait or pony tail. I haven't learnt to do buns and to be honest Im quite inexperienced when it comes to styling my own hair, even in quite simple things. Alot of members on here seem very talented at doing alot of things with one length hair. I guess thats why Im thinking layers would be an easy option for me.

verylittlecarro
December 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Your hair is lovely! If I were you I'd start by experimenting with buns to get a bit of novelty for your hair, and then if you still want a difference, I think a u-shaped hemline would look stunning. Then progress to layers after that if you feel you still want a bigger change.

turtlelover
December 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
If you aren't 100 percent sure about layers, you could try trimming your hemline in more of a U shape. I think that accentuates waves without losing thickness and length.

spidermom
December 3rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
I think long layers would look great, although if you don't wear your hair down much, there isn't much point. I love my long layers when my hair is down, but I rarely wear it down, and layers mess up the ends of my braids. I might just eliminate them next time I go in for a cut.

spirals
December 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
It would look fabulous with layers, the shortest being at APL or BSL. But a curved or V hemline looks better with layers. This is my goal, but at dry, curly BCL (tailbone wet).

Silverbrumby
December 3rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Layers can look lovely. I'd try it out with long long layers and go from there. Can always take more off but not put it back on once cut.

jojo
December 4th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Yur hairs certainly thick enough to take layers but if i was you id leave it as it is, its the perfect dream hair of many

Lilli
December 4th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I really like layers and think a more curved hemline with some very long layers would look great with your hair. My hair is very different but I love my layers because they do make it move and flow and swish more easily. However, I have to stop my braid a bit shorter now because the layers will stick out at the bottom. The layers do not interfere with updos for me, though; in fact, they make it easier because it is easier to tuck in the ends as they are tapered. I say go for it! I don't fancy the way blunt hair looks - I think the blocky, fanned-out ends are not as aesthetically pleasing as a nice U-shaped long layering.

By the way, you have lovely hair.

flip-flop
December 4th, 2012, 07:07 AM
It looks very nice how you have it, but that being said, I am a big fan of layers and v or u shaped hemlines on wavy/curly hair. I have about waist length curly hair with long layers, and a V shaped hem (so I may be biased) but I really like the way it drapes and moves and it helps me avoid the dreaded triangle head look. I too usually wear my hair in a braid, and I don't find the layers create any problems. Since it's curly, my hair sticks to itself pretty well, so I don't end up with pieces sticking out of my braid. The only thing is my braid tail may be slightly longer just because it gets thinner at the end, but only the last few inches. I say go for it, if you get long layers and you don't like them, it won't take too long to grow/cut them out

Dreamkitty
December 4th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks to everyone else who replied :) I appreciate it!. Some useful information, I like that I can come here and get better advice then what the hairdressers give me. Because to be honest I don't feel like I can get direct answers to my questions there.

My mum, sister, aunt & cousin all think that if I got layers in my hair it would be more interesting.

I tried finding pics online to see pics of people with my hair length, thickness and texture but have not found any.

I always thought that I would have to have very straight hair to see the layers and that is another reason why I didn't decide to get layers. But now that ive seen that layers work with curly, wavy hair it made me rethink.

:)I definetly want to do something with my hair because im bored with doing nothing. Curved or V hemline sounds interesing. This time I have a feeling that I will end up getting layers and going for a new look in 2013.

CastaDiva
December 4th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Congratulations on reaching waist:) You have very beautiful hair. I have no experience with layers, so I can't give any advise on that.

eros
December 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
When my hair grows to waist, I think I miight get long layers,but i'm not sure. When you do get the long layers, please show us? :D I'm very curious about how it'd look!
Also : your hair is.. WOW!