PDA

View Full Version : Donating

dragonmyst
December 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Ok, my niece informed me she wanted to grow out her hair to donate to Locks of Love at which point I was all NOOOOOOO, but she really wants to donate and wants to know where, aside from locks of love, she can donate it to. I am drawing a blank (I have no intention to EVER cut my hair at this point in time) and was hoping some of you might be able to give me a few pointers to pass on to her.

I did see in one of the threads someone who sold their hair and donated the money to a charity, where would you sell the hair, how could I direct my niece to the right org?

Thanks in advance.

WaitingSoLong
December 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Pantene Beautiful Lengths is a better charity than Lock of Love. Also, someone else mentioned donating to theatres for costume wigs. I would rather do that than donate to LOL.

momoftwo708
December 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
She can go to any salon or just cut it herself , all the info is on website of locks for love.
That's very nice, my friends have done that, just think of all the kids/adults that do not have hair due to cancer etc. Very generous of her. I would love to do it one day

momoftwo708
December 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Okay my bad you don't want Locks for love, maybe try calling hospitals or such? I'm not sure

WaitingSoLong
December 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Here (http://www.angelhairfoundation.org/page/hair-donations.html) (Angel Hair Foundation) is a charity that seems legit. But then, so does LOL until you look into it.

dragonmyst
December 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Thank you folks, I appreciate it.

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't know of any charities she could donate to other then lol you could call local beauty salon and ask if they have a list of charities she could donate to.

Yozhik
December 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
Seconding Pantene Beautiful Lengths or Wigs4Kids (I think that's what it's called) -- the second one actually donates to children who have lost their hair due to cancer.

jojo
December 4th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Thirding the pantene one, LOL is a fiddle, they throw most of their hair away or sell it.

WaitingSoLong
December 4th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Also, the more credible charities are pickier about the hair as far as it being chemically treated. Just make sure you look at their donation criteria. There is ONE salon about an hour from us that donates to wigs 4 kids. Otherwise, you have to mail your ponytail in yourself. And only Great Clips will cut your hair for free if you donate to LOL, so a lot of people donate to LOL to get the free haircut.

dragonmyst
December 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Oh cool, thanks. Wigs4kids, huh? will pass that on.

akilina
December 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Also, the more credible charities are pickier about the hair as far as it being chemically treated. Just make sure you look at their donation criteria. There is ONE salon about an hour from us that donates to wigs 4 kids. Otherwise, you have to mail your ponytail in yourself. And only Great Clips will cut your hair for free if you donate to LOL, so a lot of people donate to LOL to get the free haircut.

Also, the trick here that I learned once we got new owners there is that the initial cut for cutting off the pony tail is free, however it is NOT if the client wants an actual haircut after the initial cut. So any Great Clips giving these cuts for free is not doing the right thing. I thought it kind of sucked that the person has to mail it themselves anyway. And on top of all of that...LOL sucks! hah!!
I really liked the link you sent for "angel hair". I wonder if that org is a good one?

longNred
December 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Charity Navigator is a great resource to help evaluate charities prior to any donating... LOL is listed, 3 out of 4 stars, with good and bad reviews. I, personally, have never donated my hair. However a good friend of mine chose Pantene's organization when donating just a few months ago.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=9285

RileyJane
December 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
you can go to locks of love, just make sure that the hair is clipped/ hair tie secured to ship. when i donated mine the hairdresser i had did it for me, they were doing a locks of love run :)

hairhair
February 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know if you can send to Pantene Beautiful Lengths from Australia? I've changed my mind about growing, but my hair isn't super long, nor do I want it cut super short, and I heard that they accept donations from 8 inches long (I think I'd be able to get about 9-10 inches between my current length and shoulder, which is what I want).

Oh, also, is Pantene Beautiful Lengths definitely non-dodgy? Like they don't go on to sell any of the hair?

Finally, in the diagram it shows totally cutting off a ponytail (ie. to above shoulder). Assuming I have enough length to do this, would it be OK to slip the hair tie down a bit before cutting? Do they leave you with enough to do a small ponytail?

Magalo
February 16th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Not helpful at all, but two of my friends donated their hair lately. One with hips length beautifully healthy asian hair (chopped to shoulder length), and one with waist length hair (chopped to chin). Heartbreaking for me, but oh well, it's a good cause!