PDA

View Full Version : Post pregnancy hair loss

Tehillim408
December 3rd, 2012, 08:42 AM
It's been four months since my son was born, and my hair has finally started falling out in clumps. I knew to expect this, but it is so very frustrating nonetheless! I lose so much every day. It's gotten to the point where I can no longer wear my hair down, otherwise, I get hair all over me and the floor, and everywhere!

When can I expect this to stop? Is there anything I can take to decrease the hair loss?

pogo0685
December 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
I am due in about a month and I am so scared this will happen to me like it did last time. I am not sure if there is anything you can do to stop it, but I am just going to focus on clean eating and getting the best nutrition I can, and I am going to have my midwife encapsulate my placenta for me to eat also because while there is no evidence I do think it will help. Hopefully it stops soon for you, your hair in your signature is beautiful.

renia22
December 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
The post pregnancy hair loss can be so scary. Between the hormones being all screwy & your vitamins/ minerals being depleted (especially if you are breast feeding), it can really take a toll on your body. Eating for maximum nutrition helps, as you are probably more than well aware, but I have also read on many message boards women reporting garlic shampoo & capsules help tremendously with post pregnancy hair loss. I didn't know about it when I was pregnant so I can't report from personal experience, but women seem to be raving about the Queen Helene Unscented Garlic Shampoo in reviews & message boards.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
I heard that post pregnancy hair loss is only the loss of hair which would normally fall out WHILE you are pregnant, but didn't. So if that is the case you would have nothing to worry about. It's normal. Just keep on eating healthily.

dulce
December 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I had 3 pregnancies,just keep eating healthy and make sure you get enough sleep,it all resoves with time but you have to be patient.It's easy to panic but the hair loss is normal,if worried ,see your doctor who can help reassure you.

Wahinee
December 3rd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Unfortunately you just have to ride it out. I have a 6 month old and mine is slowing down. It took longer with my first.

Silver Swan
December 4th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I'm six weeks post-partum and was wondering when the shedding was going to kick in. I have had ten months of essentially NO shedding. Actually I just took my hair down after having had it up all day and got three shed hairs, so maybe it is starting already :)

Sorry Tehillim408, I am not actually answering your questions. I recall having a haircut at around six months with my first child because my ends were a bit thin. I think the shedding lasted about 3 months for me, but I know that it varies for everyone.

woolyleprechaun
December 4th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I've had four children, and had heavy shedding with two of them. You are meant to lose the hair you retained in pregnancy, but I know for a fact it can seem like its never going to end! I'm still recovering from it now, and my youngest is nearly 2 :/
One of my weird tried-and-tested tips is to drink red bush tea and apply it topicaly twice a day. It realy slowed my shed! Good luck :D

akilina
December 7th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I heard that post pregnancy hair loss is only the loss of hair which would normally fall out WHILE you are pregnant, but didn't. So if that is the case you would have nothing to worry about. It's normal. Just keep on eating healthily.

This is exactly what I have heard over and over. It makes a lot of sense. That on top of hormones I am sure it feels like the world is ending seeing *alllll* your hair fall out :(
I dont think there is any stopping it or slowing. I wonder if shampoo bars would help? When I use the ones my mom made for me I notice nearly no shedding.

ravenreed
December 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
No, I don't think so. My hair was so much thinner after my postpartum shed than it ever was. It never quite got back to quite as thick as it was pre-baby, either. I lost a third to half my hair when I had my sheds, and as I posted in another thread, I have had a little anniversary shed every 7 years since. I lose about a third of my hair each time. It makes sense since all the new hairs growing are on the same growth cycle, but it's so ANNOYING! The good news is that my hair grew back quickly... however, I will never, ever have hair all one length. I always have baby hairs growing in. *sigh*

Arden
December 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I have two biological children and in both cases my hair started sheding like crazy from the moment I stopped breast feeding and continued shedding for 2 years before it stopped. From what I've read the Average is 6 months bit from what I have heard from many new moms is say that's at a minimum. I have fine hair but I have an obnoxious amount of hair folicals on my head. So much so that I often need to really work to get product down the the scalp. It's a great thing in a way because since my individual strands are so fine if I didn't have a lot of it I would probably look terrible. That being side, because you stop having normal hair fall when your pregnant when you hcg levels subside and you do start having hair fall it becomes what I call, "psycho in the shower for hair". It is terrifying to see those huge clumps of long dark hair plastered against those white shower walls but if it makes you feel any better I've not gone bald yet... LOL

Narya
December 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Another one going through a postpartum shed here! *raises hands*

Mine started when my son was about 4 months old, too, which makes me think there's some hormonal change around that time that triggers it. This last week I started saving the shed hairs to make a doughnut/rat, and I already have what could be half a normal sized doughnut or a quarter of a really big one, that's how much I'm shedding. My scalp is still not showing, I think, so I just breathe deep and try to keep up with the kid (nearly 7mo now!). As much as I love hair, it can't be my priority right now... I do not have the time! (but I still pamper it and worry about it a lot ;) )